• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC to RCI to Disney...what a day!

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I thought I would share a few interesting things that happened with my exchange process today.

I started an ongoing search for a 2BR Disney unit with a check-in of 1/3/15 back in February, 2013. I started checking the online availability a couple months ago , and sometimes I would check a few times a day. It was interesting to see how units for other check-in dates would appear, sometimes as a "real" unit, and sometimes as a "phantom," where you can't click to see the actual unit.

As the 7 month window (thanks TUG) got closer, I started tracking TUGers' reports of matches. With my own examples of what I saw on certain days, I calculated that I would be able to find an online match at around 204 or 206 days out. Other reports of matches, either online or through an ongoing search, indicated 180 days to 210 days. I also noticed that the most Disney activity was on Tues/Wed/Thur of each week.

Today was Thursday and 205 days out, and sure enough, when I signed into the RCI account it showed that I had a match for an ongoing search. I quickly booked an AKL unit, and was thrilled! Yay! The ongoing search had worked. But then, about 20 minutes after I had booked the unit online, I had a flash in my brain of what I had seen on the computer screen, and realized that the start date was 1/2/15, NOT the 1/3/15 date that I needed. How did that happen? I called HGVC/RCI in a panic, and the rep was able to undo the reservation. She was also able to put the ongoing search back in place, and said it was backdated to February 2013. She said the reason the unit showed up is that the search goes one day forward and back from the reservation window, so even though I only requested 1/3/15, a unit dated 1/2/15 was offered.

So now I'm depressed. Its the day that I calculated I would get a match, and it isn't happening. I search online, and MY unit that I need via an ongoing search is sitting there! Why is it online, when it should have matched my search? Who knows. It is showing up as a phantom, despite repeated attempts to click through to a reservation. I called HGVC/RCI to ask for help getting the unit. The rep tells me that Disney units are not bookable online. HUH? She said that they are always phantoms, and I'll never get one online. Whatever. I go back to clicking again in circles.

I'm finally successful at getting a real reservation, and I again book a unit, this time with the right date. Success! So here's my day: :D :bawl: :D

I learned a lot today:
-- The ongoing search window goes forward and back a day.
-- Don't count on an ongoing search if the units are also available online.
-- Advice given by HGVC / RCI is sometimes completely wrong.
-- Clicking repeatedly on phantom units can sometimes pay off.

I can't wait for Animal Kingdom Lodge / Kidani in January!:banana:

ptlohmysoul

Reaction score
The ongoing search looks at weeks inventory only. You got/saw points inventory. Did you get the 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom? We loved our stay at Kidani :)

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The check-in date of 1/3/15 already had a check-out day of 1/10/15, and it couldn't be changed. I'm certain the unit was from the weeks inventory.

We have a 2 bedroom.:clap:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think it matched the 1/2/15 week first, it was ahead of the 1/3/15 in the processing queue.

OGS is not a real time continuous search, it's a batch job that runs on a daily schedule, so it may have matched a 1/3/15 on the next run. Of course, it may snag the 1/2/15 again you tossed back. :)

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
So what I'm taking from this entire thread is that if I see phantom availability, I should call and see if I can get it?

My OGS matched me to a studio at the Beach Club which is great, but a 1 bedroom would be better and I saw a phantom 1 bedroom when I searched just now...

so I should call and see if I can snag that instead of the studio, right?

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, calling didn't help. Just keep clicking through in circles, and maybe the person who has it at the moment will throw it back without completing the reservation.

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
Got a 1 bedroom at Old Key West. I opted for more space rather than park proximity. First HGVC to DVC trade thru RCI.

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
We have stayed in both, and you made a great decision! You will love the OKW 1BR.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I'm sure I will love it. Staying on-site is just so much easier than renting and staying off-site.

Now to hope that the court will let me take the kid(s) I'm about to begin fostering-to-adoption out of the state for a vacation before the foster period is over. The other foster-to-adopt parents I've talked to all had no problems with trips like this as long as they planned it far enough in advance. I figure planning for it before I even have kids placed with me is staying way ahead of the ball.

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
Did you use tpu?

I am unfamiliar with hgvc. Did you use rci weeks tpu?

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With HGVC, "points are points." For 4,800 HGVC points I can get a 2 bedroom unit in any RCI weeks resort, or 7 nights in any RCI points resort that has availability.

HGVC has no connection whatsoever with TPUs.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another follow-up to my post #1: I was hit twice for an RCI exchange fee. It only took one phone call to RCI to get a $209 credit back to my credit card account. Just a reminder to check your credit card statement if you have a quick cancellation like I did.