• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to TUG

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to TUG. I am considering buying a timeshare and I have A LOT of questions. First let me give you some background on my situation so you know where I am coming from. I currently own two DVC contracts, so I am not entirely new to time shares. When I bought into DVC I did a lot of research before buying and bought my two contracts resale at what I still believe to be very good prices. I only looked into DVC at the time because of many of the concerns many people generally have regarding traditional timeshares (i.e. being indentured for life and never being able to get rid of it). I also have a young family of disneyphiles and we were looking to go primarily to Disney World. Also, the relationship that DVC has RCI meant that using the membership for other vacations was possible.

At this time I am finding that even with two DVC contracts I am always running out of points. Also, I have come to realize that DVC maintenance fees are high and trading them into RCI is not necessarily a great value. Additionally, I have read post on other boards from people who own other timeshares stating that they purchased their timeshares for next to nothing and used RCI to trade into DVC accommodations. Also the cost of the maintenance fees for the membership they used for the trade was roughly a third of what the accommodation would have cost me in maintenance fees on the points that it would have had to use to stay there. This leads me to ask the question is another DVC contract the best way to maximize my vacation dollar?

So now I am trying to find a contract to use to trade into RCI for stays at places that it would have been too costly to use my DVC contracts and to use for stays at DVC resorts when they are available for exchange. I also want to keep the overall cost of the membership down so want to avoid ADDITONAL FEES, so the idea of getting into another vacation club with a the availability to stay in other resorts with in the club without additional fees seems like a good idea.

Sorry for the long intro here are my questions:

1. Is there any advantage for me to purchase a fixed week contract?

I have read over the TUG advice articles and have from what I have read it would seem that for someone in my situation that the points system would be better since I would have access to the RCI weeks and RCI points exchanges without having to pay for two memberships. I know that each timeshare company treats point differently, but for the most part I think they work generally, like the DVC memberships I already have. Fixed week is just that. Same resort, same unit, same time of year. I don’t want that. So am I missing something?

2. How do they assign RCI points?

While reading over the article on RCI points I found a table listing the number of point necessary to secure a room at a resort in the different state at different seasons. I don’t know if it is really this straight forward. I also read that the value of your points is based on a number of factors like resort location, resort standing, how far in advance you deposit into RCI, etc. Do the charts come into play when assigning points?

3. How do I maximize my trade power at the most reasonable price?

I know that a highly desirable resort, with a gold crown status, during a high demand season will be most valuable for trading. This means places like Hawaii would have a lot of trading power, but the maintenance fees are sometime the buy in is very high. I read a post in the advice articles stating that South Africa was the place to buy a cheap timeshare with low maintenance fees that traded “like a tiger”, but the post was written in 1998. Is this still a good option? I found several ads in the market place. They were fairly inexpensive buy ins, with low maintenance fees. The resorts looked like nothing special, buy the ads say they trade very well.

Thanks for reading. I’m sure I will have more questions.