• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a "best" time of year to buy a resale?

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Common sense would tell me when MF notices go out (I'm assuming the fall).

Or is it pretty much the same market year-round?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Prices for most resorts on the resale market are as low as they have ever been...and in many cases impossible to go lower =)

I am not aware of any fluctuations in seasons that change resale prices with any significant measurement.

That said, every year when MF's come out...you of course see a larger flood of people listing for sale/rent!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I've been watching closely the last three years and have not seen an increase when the MF bills come out. Pretty even all year long and right now, rock bottom prices.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no actual numbers or proof, but logic tells me that there is more selection after MF bills come out. However good ones pop up where and when you find them.

The catch is being able to tell when one it a great deal at $3,000 and when to turn and run from one at $1.

Jim

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I've been watching closely the last three years and have not seen an increase when the MF bills come out. Pretty even all year long and right now, rock bottom prices.

There seem to be some on eBay that are sold below zero (seller provides free $200 gift card or something). Hope that doesn't get worse. :(

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
There seem to be some on eBay that are sold below zero (seller provides free $200 gift card or something). Hope that doesn't get worse. :(

Two that I recently bougt, one for $100 and one for $81, included a year's use and all closing and transfer fees so it is already worse than what you saw.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep! PCC guys are astute enough to recognize it is better to get rid of vs getting stuck with MF and taking chance it will never sell.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
True, and...

Yep! PCC guys are astute enough to recognize it is better to get rid of vs getting stuck with MF and taking chance it will never sell.

Not to mention that a PCC has already made money before they even list on eBay; specifically when they previously collected the $800 -- $3,500 from the owner who gave them cash and PoA. Even if the PCC next gives it away for free and absorbs the (relatively small) closing and transfer costs themselves, they are still well "ahead".
If the PCC can get the "lucky" new eBay (or elsewhere) buyer to pay anything to buy the "product" and pay "closing costs" well, that's just gravy and still more profit.

Ka-Ching! ;)

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Common sense would tell me when MF notices go out (I'm assuming the fall).

Or is it pretty much the same market year-round?

One factor that others have failed to mention is the issue of making reservations when buying an EOY. It typically takes a couple of months to close. It is best to be able to get the close and title transfer over with before the reservations open for the next year.

I have seen people sell an EOY timeshare at the end of the year, where the reservations have already been open for perhaps 11 months.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
One factor that others have failed to mention is the issue of making reservations when buying an EOY. It typically takes a couple of months to close. It is best to be able to get the close and title transfer over with before the reservations open for the next year.

I have seen people sell an EOY timeshare at the end of the year, where the reservations have already been open for perhaps 11 months.

When is the best time to purchase an EOY?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cost was more important to me than time of year when I cleaned Developer Managed Resorts out of my portfolio and replaced them with carefully selected Weeks at HOA controlled Resorts. I shot for Weeks costing less than $1,000 with MFs in the $400 - $500 range. I ended up with 6 great Weeks where I wouldn't suffer much of a loss when I decided to get rid of them.

George

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Cost was more important to me than time of year when I cleaned Developer Managed Resorts out of my portfolio and replaced them with carefully selected Weeks at HOA controlled Resorts. I shot for Weeks costing less than $1,000 with MFs in the $400 - $500 range. I ended up with 6 great Weeks where I wouldn't suffer much of a loss when I decided to get rid of them.

George

What is the best way to figure out if an HOY is independently owned?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Resort and ask questions about the HOA. Like who is President; when are elections; and is Developer represented on Board. The last is a No-No.

George

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad isnt it. Something like a timeshare, that has given so many the opportunity and incentive to travel and adds so many memories and pleasures in life. You have to pay someone to take it off your hands. Its rather a conflict of an idea.

Maybe if we could....

1. If we could get some of the timeshares to quit gouging us on mfs. So the developers can buy the biggest home in Florida.

2. Places like Maui to quit taxing us unfairly

3. The low timeshares that many of the owners would be willing to give up and let them sell the land and not pay us anything but somehow they make more money keeping the low budget timeshares going minimally with our mfs. Its the credit rating scare.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is an HOY?

"Today," if you sprechen espanol! :D

It appears to be a typo for HOA, Home Owners Association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

You don't have to pay someone. You just have to work hard at it. I got rid of six using Deed Backs; free to a Tugger; selling; and Deeding one to my Son one that he wanted. I think the most I paid was $100 to one of the HOAsgiving to process the Deed.

George