• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How likely is it to rent out my week in Maui Hawaii

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH
I own a TS in Mexico (trading power has been consistently going down each year) that I never vacation at. I always deposit the week into RCI. I recently purchase a deeded 1 week platinum (resale of course) ocean front 1 bedroom from Ka'anapali Beach Club in Maui. I am contemplating purchasing another week at the same TS because we like to travel with our kids and grand kids. I would appreciate any info you experienced Tuggers can give me in regard to the likelihood of renting out one of my weeks (not looking to make a profit just my $1400 Maint fee) if I see it's not going to get used. I know I can deposit the week into one of the exchanges but don't know if it will always get used even if I do that. We're fairly young grandparents and anticipate many years vacationing with the kids. However, we both still work and won't be retiring for quite awhile.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm a little confused about your comment about banking your week with an exchange company. Even if it doesn't get used you still have a week with that company that you can use.

We have a timeshare in Maui as well. We've rented it out ourselves a couple of times, and through the management company of the resort a couple of times. The last time we tried to rent it, it didn't rent. So the past few years we've either used it ourselves, or banked it with Trading Places Maui.

taffy19

Reaction score
There was another post today about renting a timeshare in Maui. It also has a link where you can find out how to go about it. Have a look here.

I believe that you should be able to rent it if it is ocean front but it is a gamble you take if flights are expensive or the economy is slowing down again.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is Risky so take that into consideration

Renting in Maui like anywhere else depends upon location, and in Maui the name of the Marque. If your MF was $1400 and the TS was the Marriott or Westin, then most of the people on Craigslist would understand about the unit.

I would go on red week and monitor rentals at your location.

I also believe that it is smarter to rent for a few years before buying a second timeshare, especially at the same location. My experience with children is most parents are too nice to their children and their children certainly are not always appreciative or have other interests. You purchased a week. Great rent a week for your kids for one or two years. Consider the advantage of say buying in another TS Group like HGVC and utilizing Open season an rent one or more timeshares within 30 days of placing the request and paying just $100-$130 a night at any HGVC resort with available room. Now your second timeshare at HGVC offers you a lot of benefits, and you can still rent a week at your Maui resort for the kids. Just offering another opinion.:hi:

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for your reply! What I meant about depositing into an exchange was to use RCI or II. I believe the weeks are only good for 2 years and at times may still expire. I'm not very familiar with II because up to this point I've only been able to use RCI for my other TS. Maybe II allows their customers to hold a vacation deposit for more than 2 years.
Thanks again for you comment. I appreciate everyone's help!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for your reply! What I meant about depositing into an exchange was to use RCI or II. I believe the weeks are only good for 2 years and at times may still expire. I'm not very familiar with II because up to this point I've only been able to use RCI for my other TS. Maybe II allows their customers to hold a vacation deposit for more than 2 years.
Thanks again for you comment. I appreciate everyone's help!

If I understand what you're asking, then I question how well you understand how exchange companies work. If you deposit your reserved week with an exchange company, it's on a one-time basis. You'll receive credit you can use to exchange for other locations. But once the week has been deposited, your connection to it is over with. You don't have to worry about the exchange company making good on it.

You'll have a couple of years to use the credit your deposit earned. You can't rent out that week you deposited, because it is gone. Neither can you rent out the exchange credit you receive for it. You use it, or lose it. The next time your use year rolls around (next year, if your ownership is Annual) you'll have your week back at your home resort to use or whatever.

Dave

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for your reply BMWGuy. Yes, I completely understand that once I deposit my week it is gone and I would have to choose from whatever II/RCI has to offer. I've been using RCI for many years with my other TS. Guess I didn't make myself clear.
Thanks!

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks RichardL. Your post was most helpful. I appreciate you sharing your experience in renting your weeks out. Checking with Redweek to see what others are renting their week out for is a very good idea. You have been very helpful! :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for your reply BMWGuy. Yes, I completely understand that once I deposit my week it is gone and I would have to choose from whatever II/RCI has to offer. I've been using RCI for many years with my other TS. Guess I didn't make myself clear.
Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying. Obviously, I didn't understand your question. :)

Dave

spinone98

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the Interval part of the question on post #5, you can keep your Interval exchange active longer than 2 years, you just have to pay extra.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think you would need to book a high season week to cover your maint fees. Grand Pacific Resorts exchange (GPX) rents bonus weeks at Kaanapali Beach Club for under $1000. I have a 2 br booked for next May, $999.