• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do, family wants to "give" us their ts

hasil72

Reaction score
I'm hoping you all can help me with this. My husband's cousins want to give us their fixed week 2BR timeshare. It was their father's and was originally 2 weeks that they broke up into 2 separate deeds. I know next to nothing about fixed week ts. I know the resort is in the Poconos and that one of the weeks is week 40. My guess is that's not exactly a good thing since it's fall and not ski season. The dues are around $700/yr for that one week. So far, I'm thinking it may not be worth the hassle since we would likely have to pay an exchange company on top of that. We primarily travel to Orlando/Kissimmee and I can rent a 3BR condo for less.

Any words of wisdom?

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping you all can help me with this. My husband's cousins want to give us their fixed week 2BR timeshare. It was their father's and was originally 2 weeks that they broke up into 2 separate deeds. I know next to nothing about fixed week ts. I know the resort is in the Poconos and that one of the weeks is week 40. My guess is that's not exactly a good thing since it's fall and not ski season. The dues are around $700/yr for that one week. So far, I'm thinking it may not be worth the hassle since we would likely have to pay an exchange company on top of that. We primarily travel to Orlando/Kissimmee and I can rent a 3BR condo for less.

Any words of wisdom?

I would say "thanks, but not thanks." You are correct, week 40 has little if no value and you would need to deposit it with an exchange company to exchange for your primary travel area of Orlando. Add the $700 maintenance fee and the $209 for an exchange fee (not even talking membership dues to the exchange company) and this just does not work for your family.

JMO,

Joy

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, this is the kind of timeshare/fixed date that is difficult to even give away. I definitely would not take it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

hasil72

Reaction score
That's what I thought, thank you all very very much! :D

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is a Shawnee Depuy Village deed - why? The first year or so, the original developer ONLY sold 2 weeks in different seasons to the buyers. One would be the PRIME Ski week; the other the MUD season - and on one deed.

Tell your cousins they should look at converting these weeks to Wyndham Points with a small points purchase - as they inherited the weeks from their father. The SALES staff is fairly aggressive and creative - $89 to convert each week to points & plus the new developer points purchase. And their big hammer at the table is $2,495 to convert the first week plus $995 the second week if they go direct to the phone guys who call ... That department used to be on the 2&3 floor of their Shawnee sales center. :ignore: Most likely still there.

Too bad the cousins did NOT find TUG before spending the money to split the deeds.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how in the thread title you put "give" in quotation marks when what the family apparently really wants to do is "dump". ;)