• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak Questions

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to go from Washington, DC to 30th St. station in Philadelphia.
I’m planning on booking a ticket on Amtrak. I haven’t used them for a long time.
I don’t trust the Amtrak site or toll free # for info, so I’m asking TUG.

Are saver fares refundable?
If I book a train at say 2 pm, can I get on an earlier or later train the same day?
Are the trains normally on time? Is there a train # that is notoriously late?
Can I make changes to the reservation before the trip with no penalties (if it's a few days out)?
Should I book two one ways or a round trip?
Are discounts easy to find?
The fares are $40 each way for travel in November. Is that a good fare? Do fares get higher or lower closer to travel? Do they run last minute sale fares?
Is it worth signing up for their rewards program?

I may do a trip on the auto train in the next 5 years, but probably won’t use Amtrak much at all.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I don’t trust the Amtrak site or toll free # for info, so I’m asking TUG.

I have no personal experience with the route you're considering, but honestly, I would ask the folks at Amtrak. I have found them to be exceptional in service by phone and on the trains. I've taken three long-distance multiple day (round) trips and been very happy.

Some questions are best asked of the company . . . not strangers on a discussion forum that isn't specifically about the question you're seeking answers to. There is an Amtrak forum out there, if you want to ask other Amtrak customers. Even Trip Advisor's "Train Forum" would be a better place to ask that perhaps a timeshare group.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I take Amtrak all the time. I have never, ever had a problem with booking through their website.
I don't understand your concerns, but you must have your reasons.

Your questions can be best answered by calling Amtrak:

(800) 872-7245

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I take Amtrak all the time. I have never, ever had a problem with booking through their website.
I don't understand your concerns, but you must have your reasons.

Your questions can be best answered by calling Amtrak:

(800) 872-7245

Plus booking thru the website is CHEAPER.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I've taken that route a few times, I can't answer most of your questions. The one I do know, is normally Amtrak fares don't go down, usually go up closer to date.

Nancy

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link.

I spoke with an Amtrak rep yesterday and booked the trip (online). They answered all of my questions, I was happy with the call. The main item I learned was to cancel before the trip to get future credit. For the cheapest fares you get an e -credit for most other fares you can get a full refund.