• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

quick trip Rocky mountain national park

sunnyside88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently stay in a resort in Beaver Creek, CO. Love the area. Thinking of when leaving Beaver Creek, drive to Rocky Mountain National Park, then spend over-night in Boulder area, then drive to Denver to catch a flight the next day afternoon. I am interested in scenic drive and photo taking. Can it be done ? or it is too much driving ? Thank you.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it looks like it can "currently" be done, because Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park is currently open. (At this time of year, any cold front could close it for the season).

Take I-70 east about 40 miles from Beaver Creek to the Silverthorne exit 209. Take CO highway 9 north to Kremmling (wonderful photo ops all along the east of the Gore Range mountains), then US 40 east (about 40 miles) to just before Grandby, CO. Left on US 34 through RMNP ($20 entrance fee, if you do not have an annual National Park Pass) and over Trail Ridge Road (lots of elk photo ops, but get there before Wednesday as there is a storm predicted that might close it for some time) to Estes Park (a nice place to stay overnight -- better than Boulder, if you have the time).

From Estes Park, you have two choices to Boulder, CO -- Colorado 7, the Peak-to-Peak highway (most scenic and spectacular at this time of year) or US-36 (fastest, but kind of boring). If you stay in Estes Park instead of Boulder, the drive to DIA can be relatively short and direct using US-36 to I-25 to E-470 Toll Road.

Can it be done? Definitely yes, and it is worth it. Too much driving time? That is up to you. In my opinion, this drive along the east of the Gore Range, through the Byers Canyon of the Colorado River, then over the Continental Divide through RMNP should not be missed. Versus the relatively bland drive from Beaver Creek to DIA on I-70? -- it is a no-brainer.

Start out early from Beaver Creek, as you will have 5-6 hours of driving plus (many) stops along the way for scenic photos, versus about 3 hours direct from Beaver Creek to DIA (really, no scenic photos on that particular route).

Last edited:

sunnyside88

TUG Member
Reaction score
re:Trail Ridge Road

Thank you CO skier for your detail information. It looks workable. Checked about Estes Park and found that there are many hotels. More questions : What is Trail Ridge Road ? Is it part of US 34? Which part of the road will be closed when it is snowing ? Thank you.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thank you CO skier for your detail information. It looks workable. Checked about Estes Park and found that there are many hotels. More questions : What is Trail Ridge Road ? Is it part of US 34? Which part of the road will be closed when it is snowing ? Thank you.
Trail Ridge Road is US 34 through RMNP, and also the highest continuous paved road in the United States. It goes up and over the continental divide and tops out at over 12,000 ft. above sea level. This time of year, it can be closed whenever a cold front comes through (in the winter, it is closed for the season).

Another possible route back from Estes Park is US 34 through Loveland. It is a bit more scenic than US 36, especially going through "The Narrows" toward the bottom of the valley as you get close to Loveland. It isn't that much longer drive to Denver vs. US 36.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

Colorado road conditions are available at: http://www.cotrip.org

Trail Ridge Road is listed on that website as, "US 34 Eastbound/Westbound Trail Ridge Road (Milemarker 16-59)" or you may call RMNP at 970-586-1222 to confirm if it is open.

If you make it to Estes Park, be sure to visit the historic Stanley Hotel. You could stay there, or it is a good place for breakfast or lunch (dinner is pricey). There is a great view of Longs Peak from the front porch.

If Trail Ridge Road is closed when you travel, but it is a nice sunny day, you could still exit I-70 at Silverthorne, then north on Colorado highway 9 to Kremmling, then east on US-40 through Grandby and Winter Park and over Berthoud Pass to return to I-70. These highways are kept open all year. It will add about 2 hours to your drive time, but the scenery would be worth it.