• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Microsoft laying off 7800 (mostly) phone people.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Microsoft seems to finally be throwing in the towel in the 'phone wars' after struggling along in a distant 3rd place in market share. It appears they will be getting out of the phone hardware business after buying Nokia. More here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...0836.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology I won't be rushing right out to buy a new phone, but at least I can read the tea leaves in the bottom of the cup.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Feel for the people losing their jobs. More job losses.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This seems to be Microsofts MO. If a unit is losing money, just throw in the towel. They have done it over and over and over.... and over again...

Are they going to sell the Nokia brand? Perhaps a lot of patents there that are worth a lot of money. I certainly didn't rush out to buy a Windows phone. Perhaps they are still going to try to license the software, just not make phones?

waffles77

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first read the subject, I assumed they were laying off their phone support team members. I got a little excited that I would finally stop getting calls telling me my 'windows was sending them information that it has a virus'. Word must have gotten out that it is a scam

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were late to the smartphone party and dumb to take on Apple and Samsung after those two companies ruled the industry. It is amazing Microsoft continues to make money. Guess all their other products are making a killing.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Feel for the people losing their jobs. More job losses.

This. The sheer number makes you forget that there are 7800 hardworking people who no longer have a job, probably through no fault of their own.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the Xbox, MS has not been a successful hardware manufacturer. Its roots and its strengths are as a software company. Under its new leadership, MS has refocused on software. This time the focus is on being a cross platform software maker. The money today is in cloud based enterprise systems. MS is heavily involved in this area and is one of the top companies along with Amazon.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
This Could Be Microsoft's Next Billion-Dollar Business - by Timothy Green/ The Motley Fool/ Money/ time.com

"The software giant wants to dominate the conference room with this new technology.

Three years ago, Microsoft MSFT 0.63% acquired Perceptive Pixel, a company that specializes in multitouch interfaces. Perceptive Pixel’s giant multitouch screens first found success during the 2008 presidential campaign, when newscasters used them to display information about the election. These early screens were priced in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, greatly limiting their appeal.

Earlier this year, we learned what had become of Perceptive Pixel’s efforts. Microsoft in January announced the Surface Hub, a giant screen aimed at the corporate conference room, allowing multiple users to interact with the screen at the same time. The Surface Hub is Microsoft’s ambitious gambit at taking over the conference room, replacing projectors, whiteboards, and videoconferencing equipment with an all-in-one solution. If the device lives up to its potential, the Surface Hub could be Microsoft’s next billion-dollar business.

A big opportunity
At first glance, the Surface Hub might seem like nothing more than a glorified whiteboard, and an expensive one at that. Microsoft will sell two versions of the Surface Hub, a 55-inch version priced at $6,999 and an 84-inch unit that costs a whopping $19,999. At these prices, the Surface Hub is clearly aimed at companies that have no trouble spending thousands of dollars on conference room equipment.

Because the Surface Hub runs Windows 10, it can run any Windows 10 application, as well as specialized large-screen apps designed specifically for the device. Built-in cameras and sensors, along with Skype for Business, make the Surface Hub a potentially potent videoconferencing solution, allowing for collaborative meetings in a way that is not possible with legacy videoconferencing systems...."

Richard