• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Phone Out of USA? [AT&T - Canada]

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am traveling with my dd and another athlete to a competition in Canada. We will be gone a week.

Our phone service is AT&T. They have plans that can cover us while we are gone, and I'm wondering if anyone can share what might be our best option?

My original plan was to buy a plan for my phone, and let the girls use wi-fi only (keep data turned off) for their iPhones (we have free Wi-Fi at the hotel) I know that a couple of friends, dh and other athletes mom will want text updates! Phone calls matter, but not as much.

The plans are:
Passport
Cost $30
Unlimited texting
$1 per minute talk (same price if we don't have a plan)
data: 120MB and Overage: $0.25/MB
wi-fi data access: no

passport Silver
Cost $60
Unlimited texting
$.50 per minute talk
data: 300MB and Overage: $0.20/MB
wi-fi data access: yes

Passport Gold
Cost $120
Unlimited texting
$.35 per minute talk
data: 800MB and Overage: $0.15/MB

My questions......
1. AT&T told me that the girls will not be able to use Wi-Fi with their phones because you need "international data access" when you use something that has US data. Is this true??
2. Any suggestions for which plan? I will probably want to use the Maps app at least a few times. I get very confused about how to figure data amounts!

Thanks
JT

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't know if this will help you at all, but we all use WhatsApp. It's a free app you can download and use for text and calls. It's free as long as you are using it to contact someone else who also has WhatsApp. And you do need wifi connection.

Our youngest dd traveled to Canada in May and is currently in Europe. We've been using WhatsApp for text and calls to her.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you at all, but we all use WhatsApp. It's a free app you can download and use for text and calls. It's free as long as you are using it to contact someone else who also has WhatsApp. And you do need wifi connection.

Our youngest dd traveled to Canada in May and is currently in Europe. We've been using WhatsApp for text and calls to her.

Thank you. This sounds like it could work for us while at the hotel (with the free Wi-Fi)

Now I still am trying to figure out how much data maps app use, which will also help determine which plan we might need.

JT

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. AT&T told me that the girls will not be able to use Wi-Fi with their phones because you need "international data access" when you use something that has US data. Is this true??

Complete BS. They'll be able to use WiFi just fine with or without an international data plan. In fact that's the best way to use data internationally. Use the hotels WiFi or any other free WiFi hotspot. Whenever we travel internationally I turn off my kids cellular data completely and they can only use WiFi.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am traveling with my dd and another athlete to a competition in Canada. We will be gone a week.

Our phone service is AT&T. They have plans that can cover us while we are gone, and I'm wondering if anyone can share what might be our best option?

My original plan was to buy a plan for my phone, and let the girls use wi-fi only (keep data turned off) for their iPhones (we have free Wi-Fi at the hotel) I know that a couple of friends, dh and other athletes mom will want text updates! Phone calls matter, but not as much.

The plans are:
Passport
Cost $30
Unlimited texting
$1 per minute talk (same price if we don't have a plan)
data: 120MB and Overage: $0.25/MB
wi-fi data access: no

passport Silver
Cost $60
Unlimited texting
$.50 per minute talk
data: 300MB and Overage: $0.20/MB

Passport Gold
Cost $120
Unlimited texting
$.35 per minute talk
data: 800MB and Overage: $0.15/MB

My questions......
2. Any suggestions for which plan? I will probably want to use the Maps app at least a few times. I get very confused about how to figure data amounts!

Thanks
JT

My wife uses her Samsung Galaxy (Verizon) via wifi on a daily basis in Russia right now.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Complete BS. They'll be able to use WiFi just fine with or without an international data plan. In fact that's the best way to use data internationally. Use the hotels WiFi or any other free WiFi hotspot. Whenever we travel internationally I turn off my kids cellular data completely and they can only use WiFi.

So, that's what I thought. But I haven't been out of the country in 5 years, and thought maybe things had changed! I did a Live Chat with AT&T and was very specific in my question and I was told multiple times I could not access international Wi-Fi without a package.

JT

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So, that's what I thought. But I haven't been out of the country in 5 years, and thought maybe things had changed! I did a Live Chat with AT&T and was very specific in my question and I was told multiple times I could not access international Wi-Fi without a package.

JT

My dd, who is in Europe right now, has Verizon and has no special package in order to access wifi. She's using it wherever free wifi is offered. She did the same on her visit to Canada.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

JT

They probably thought you meant their wifi package, since I believe AT&T still resells wifi access (which is separate from cell service).

You might want to check out a t-mobile prepaid phone for your trip since they now include canada at no extra cost (though be sure to check the details, I'm not certain they offer this feature on prepaid). In general, AT&T is very unfriendly toward international travel (unlike years ago when they offered a good North American plan, and more).

Sent from my iPad

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were using our older ATT I Phones with the ATT go phone plan in Mexico and Canada. The cost was twenty cents per minute to make or recieve regular calls. We also used the I Phone for skypein the past and uber as the most recent wi fi phone app. There is no data plan with the go phone.

We now have T Mobile and the cost is twenty five cents a minute for regular calls, free text and data. I was surprised that we were able to get 3g in Mexico and 4g in Canada.

Bill

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We were using our older ATT I Phones with the ATT go phone plan in Mexico and Canada. The cost was twenty cents per minute to make or recieve regular calls. We also used the I Phone for skypein the past and uber as the most recent wi fi phone app. There is no data plan with the go phone.

We now have T Mobile and the cost is twenty five cents a minute for regular calls, free text and data. I was surprised that we were able to get 3g in Mexico and 4g in Canada.

Bill

Bill, if you change to the new T-Mobile North America plan (I believe it's the same price as the simple choice, or perhaps less depending on how many lines you have on the same account) you will be able to make and receive calls in Canada and Mexico at no additional cost.

Sent from my iPad

Travelmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently had a similar discussion with AT&T. We are headed to Canada and Bahamas for a few weeks.

We were told that the No Wi-Fi indicated on the "Passport" plan simply means that you will not be able to access AT&T's WiFi hot spots. You will be able to access other WiFI services - hotels, Starbucks etc.

As far as the amount of data, we would probably look at our usual data usage and get something similar. We don't generally use a lot of data, but wanted to be able to text, access maps, email etc and possibly make the odd phone call on our phones. We will be staying at hotels with WiFi which we will access when in the room.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently had a similar discussion with AT&T. We are headed to Canada and Bahamas for a few weeks.

We were told that the No Wi-Fi indicated on the "Passport" plan simply means that you will not be able to access AT&T's WiFi hot spots. You will be able to access other WiFI services - hotels, Starbucks etc.

As far as the amount of data, we would probably look at our usual data usage and get something similar. We don't generally use a lot of data, but wanted to be able to text, access maps, email etc and possibly make the odd phone call on our phones. We will be staying at hotels with WiFi which we will access when in the room.

What you say makes sense. However, what frustrated me was that I specifically asked if the wifi on the passport plan was different than wifi you find in hotel, for example, I was still told it couldn't be accessed!

The hotel we are staying at has an 800 #, so I am thinking that we can send a quick text to whoever we want to chat with and have them call that number.

I will still probably get the $30 plan, which includes 120MB and Overage at $0.25/MB. I "played" with my cell phone tonight-went on facebook, used apps to play games and the rest of the time streamed Pandora radio. Four hours used 83KB. I have about a 90 minute drive on Thursday (and back home Friday) so also plan to use the iPhone map app and see how much data that uses.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
JT

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I "played" with my cell phone tonight-went on facebook, used apps to play games and the rest of the time streamed Pandora radio. Four hours used 83KB.

Do you mean 83MB?

I believe Pandora streams at no more than 64kbps, and 64kbps is about 0.48MB per minute and 28.8MB per Hour. You really can't do much with 83kb.

Sent from my iPad

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean 83MB?

I believe Pandora streams at no more than 64kbps, and 64kbps is about 0.48MB per minute and 28.8MB per Hour. You really can't do much with 83kb.

Sent from my iPad

I am not "phone savvy" at all, so I possibly screwed up. I went to my iPhone settings, went to "cellular" and "reset statistics". Then I played my favorite app with a slots game, went on Facebook, read email, etc. When I wasn't doing something 'active" I streamed Pandora. Then I read the cellular data usage, and it said 83KB.

I'm doing the same this morning, and in about 90 minutes my total usage (including yesterday) is up to 123KB.

Does that seem inaccurate?

JT

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not "phone savvy" at all, so I possibly screwed up. I went to my iPhone settings, went to "cellular" and "reset statistics". Then I played my favorite app with a slots game, went on Facebook, read email, etc. When I wasn't doing something 'active" I streamed Pandora. Then I read the cellular data usage, and it said 83KB.

I'm doing the same this morning, and in about 90 minutes my total usage (including yesterday) is up to 123KB.

Does that seem inaccurate?

JT
Unless you are using WiFi instead of cellular data, the amounts you report seem to be very inaccurate. Your best bet is to check the cellular data usage reported for your account at your cellphone provider's website.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you are using WiFi instead of cellular data, the amounts you report seem to be very inaccurate. Your best bet is to check the cellular data usage reported for your account at your cellphone provider's website.

Yikes, you are correct-I'll bet my dh has my phone set up to automatically go on to wi-fi.

I will now try and look at data when I'm not home.

Rats. I guess I'll try again! (I just want to have an idea of which plan to purchase for our trip)

JT

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Actually, I've found that the provider doesn't update their statistics fast enough for this type of test. I suggest installing an app to track cell data usage (there are several out there). They're helpful since they will warn you when you are approaching a preset limit, etc.

Sent from my iPad

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've found that the provider doesn't update their statistics fast enough for this type of test. I suggest installing an app to track cell data usage (there are several out there). They're helpful since they will warn you when you are approaching a preset limit, etc.

Sent from my iPad

My provider (AT&T) updates every 3 hours so you can actually get a good idea of the usage. For me, sometimes I use a few tens of MB when driving and using the GPS/maps App for directions.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bill, if you change to the new T-Mobile North America plan (I believe it's the same price as the simple choice, or perhaps less depending on how many lines you have on the same account) you will be able to make and receive calls in Canada and Mexico at no additional cost.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks Ken. I called TMobile and they changed my plan and for the same money gave all our phones 10gb data plans. Then they had tech support help me upgrade the operating system to lolipop. We now get Canada and Mexico as part of our plan. :D

Bill