• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirement gift for doctor??

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
My doctor is retiring after 20 years as my physician. I know I don't have to give him a gift, but I would like to, as he has served me well and I will miss him greatly. His family and my family have connections that go back to about 1930.
Any suggestions for a GIFT??
[I did think of offering him one of my weeks which will expire in April if I don't use it, but that may be a bit tacky.]

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We know a lot of physician's, and they have said that the greated gift they have gotten is a special note from patients that expresses how they fell about them. You can express how much this MD has meant to you over the years and how well he had made you feel.

S

Steamboat Bill

We know a lot of physician's, and they have said that the greated gift they have gotten is a special note from patients that expresses how they fell about them. You can express how much this MD has meant to you over the years and how well he had made you feel.

As a physician (I am semi-retired) a personalized note is a great present. It is a rare day that someone sends us a thank-you letter. We are also tired of popcorn tin cans and fruitcakes.

Forget a timeshare :D ... if you want to give a gift, then a gift certificate to a great restaurant is always appreciated.

Believe it or not....the average doctor is not as wealthy as most people think....especially family practice.

FYI- Karen...my family is from Buffalo and my father attended UB med school. I was only 6yo when we moved to Florida. I miss Bocce Pizza and actually ordered it FedEx for my mother one year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a donation in his name to a favorite charity he is passionate about? Children's Miracle Network, Heart Association, or something similar. And the letter is great idea too!

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are thinking of a charity donaton, Make a Wish is always a good one for a physician.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Doctor Bills

Believe it or not....the average doctor is not as wealthy as most people think....especially family practice.
Our family doctor has cartoons, news clippings, pictures, & various odd & curious items on his waiting room bulletin boards -- including a check from Blue Cross for 1 cent & another Blue Cross check for 4 cents. I'm guessing he's not exactly cleaning up on MediCare, either.

When we come back from Florida loaded with oranges & grapefruits that we've picked ourselves, we always take a big bunch of those over to our doctor.

Now that we're Old Folks on MediCare, our Blue Cross is supposed to cover the "co-pay" (cute term for it they came up with, eh?) & the difference between the MediCare allowable & the actual amount of the doctor bill.

I'm not sure it reliably does either of those -- not without jumping through hoops.

So, now that it's Open Season, we're thinking of quitting Blue Cross & going with G. E. H. A. Low Option.

To all the men & women out there working in the Healing Arts to ease suffering & cure illness & treat the injured & restore sight & stave off premature death . . . heartfelt gratitude & many, many thanks. I am grateful every day.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family doctor has cartoons, news clippings, pictures, & various odd & curious items on his waiting room bulletin boards -- including a check from Blue Cross for 1 cent & another Blue Cross check for 4 cents. I'm guessing he's not exactly cleaning up on MediCare, either.

When we come back from Florida loaded with oranges & grapefruits that we've picked ourselves, we always take a big bunch of those over to our doctor.

Now that we're Old Folks on MediCare, our Blue Cross is supposed to cover the "co-pay" (cute term for it they came up with, eh?) & the difference between the MediCare allowable & the actual amount of the doctor bill.

I'm not sure it reliably does either of those -- not without jumping through hoops.

So, now that it's Open Season, we're thinking of quitting Blue Cross & going with G. E. H. A. Low Option.

To all the men & women out there working in the Healing Arts to ease suffering & cure illness & treat the injured & restore sight & stave off premature death . . . heartfelt gratitude & many, many thanks. I am grateful every day.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Does he have a hobby.??? Golf,fishing etc.?? You could purchase something for him to use.

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
If he is affiliated with a university or college, they would have a Medical Foundation or Medical Alumni Association to which you could send a donation. For certain, he graduated from a medical school to which you could send a donation.

Make a Wish is a good choice.

It can be tricky sending donations to medical charities otherwise. Some charities such as St. Jude's fund one particular hospital which may have nothing to do with your Dr.'s practice. DH was a physician and it rubbed us the wrong way when our children's daycare organized a donation from over 100 families to a local children's hospital. Only problem was, it wasn't the children's hospital that seved the area the day care was in, and the hospital dh worked at. It was a much better funded, well known hospital which didn't need the donation as much as dh's hospital.

As a backup, I agree with the gift certificate to a nice restaurant or the hobby idea.