• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to put underneath appliances/furniture to move it without scratching hardwood?

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some advice about what to put under appliances, furnitures, etc to move them without scratching hardwood floors. We are refinishing and adding hardwood floors in the house next month and we will be moving around a lot of furniture and appliances, and I worry about scratches. :cheer:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They make these things that I call "sliders" for moving furniture. I will look to see if I can find some for you.

elaine

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was easy --- they are called sliders on Amazon as well.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...ords=furniture+sliders&ie=UTF8&qid=1389063488

Basically you lift up a corner of the piece to be moved and stick the slider underneath and continue on each corner or leg until each one is on a slider and then you can simply slide the furniture without scratching the floor. They are so slick that it makes moving furniture relatively easy.

I used to sale furniture and this is what we used for moving sofas around the store.

elaine

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
We put felt pads on the legs of our chairs in the kitchen with wood floors. Here's a slider kit example.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cotton cloths. Old towels. I don't recommend carpet samples because the (usually) nylon fiber is actually tougher than the floor finish. Just make sure that if you are going to scoot heavy stuff on a fresh finish- even on old towels/rags, make sure the floor is clean, dragging grit under the cushioning is as bad as scooting furniture without any cushioning at all.

Or as mentioned above, the custom made sliders if you are going to leave them on. Old cloths are cheaper.

Jim

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are refinishing hardwood, the coating doesn't really get properly hardened for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't slide anything on the wood even if it is on slippery pads.

Here's what the big kids do. Get a roll of "construction grade Kraft paper" then roll it out over the area of interest. For an appliance, lay down a piece of Masonite on top of the paper. Then slide the appliance onto the Masonite. If you have two pieces of Masonite, start out on piece #1, slide the item across that piece then onto adjacent piece #2. Pick up piece #1 and place it ahead of piece #2 and continue moving the item to the desired destination.

The Masonite is slippery but very durable and is only 1/8" thick so it doesn't hinder moving a heavy appliance onto the surface.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We use a product called "Moving Men" - probably the same as the sliders - it's just a plastic disk with a slight curve to it. They really make it easy to slide heavy furniture across the floor!

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I am forwarding this to my husband so he can read it too!

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
just go to Lowes or home depot, they have a few options. I found them after the fact. an still see those scratches.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used the plastic sliders. They work great. I think we got them at Home Depot or Ace Hardware.