• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smoking in Timeshares

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any timeshares that allow Smoking? Most hotels and Timeshares have a strict No Smoking policy.

I remember back when smoking was allowed. That was a real negative on the living environment. You would get used to it after a while. Then step out for a few hours then have to put up with the sour tobacco smell yet again.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I started timesharing about 15 years ago, it seemed every resort allowed smoking in the rooms. Now every resort that I am considering for exchange forbids smoking in the rooms, and may levee a cleaning fine on those who get caught. These resorts have designated smoking areas, and from what I can see, they allow smoking on the balconies. I am very allergic to smoke residue, That is one of the first things I check when choosing a resort. If the resort description does not mention if it is smoking or not, just call the resort and ask them.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark allows smoking on the balconies.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any timeshares that allow Smoking?

You might be able to find some more relaxed attitudes about smoking outside the USA, but I'm comfortable with saying there aren't many that allow smoking inside the units in the USA. Some may allow it on balconies. Even in Mexico, fairly restricted smoking areas are provided, and high cleaning fees are placed on those found in violation.

ETA some more. It seems that the 'special relationship' that has existed for some 400 years still exists in the Carolinas and at least both Virginias. Those places may be the last bastions where smoking is almost universally accepted. If I was exchanging into that neck of the woods, I'd call ahead for the resort's policy.

I support individual freedom for a person to do what s/he wants, but the freedom to pollute the air ends at my nose.

Jim

ETA: If you are sensitive (as opposed to insensitive smokers), and are not familiar with the policy of an individual resort, call ahead and ask.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I support individual freedom for a person to do what s/he wants, but the freedom to pollute the air ends at my nose.

Jim

Unfortunately at Worldmark they havent figured out how to keep the smoke on the smokers balcony. if the wind is right (wrong) and my balcony door is open. Im second hand smoking.

Worldmark even encourages it by putting ashtrays on the balconies

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Boo-Hiss! I don't suppose a call to the desk helps? Maybe if there are enough of 'em (calls) the ashtrays will disappear. Otoh, eventually the smokers will die off.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Worldmark allows smoking on the balconies unless some one complains and not all balconies have ashtrays for instance the resort in Anaheim. The Camlin in Seattle has a no smoking policy with the exception of a small outdoor area by the street.

Geez, even UVC in Mexico has gone with a no smoking policy for most of the resort. You are allowed to smoke on the balcony unless some one complains.

I noticed that the Cabo Wabo Cantina now has a no smoking policy.

A recent article I just read was about odors caused by smoke and the product suggested to clean the air is called Ozium. :cool:

Bill

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is one that I own at, and I am not going to say which one because I don't want to encourage smokers to go there, where they keep an ashtray on the fireplace mantle with a folded card explaining the "voluntary no smoking policy" and how you are encouraged to take the ashtray out to the balcony or patio to light up. It is South of the Mason Dixon line.

I remember being in SC about 8 years ago and was amazed that McDonalds allowed smoking. It has only been about 4 years since MD passed the smoke free workplace law but even before then, really the only businesses that allowed smoking were bars and restaurants that had bars/liquor licences and that has been for as far back as I can remember.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Foxrun and Fairways of the Mountains (both in Lake Lure, in North Carolina) allow smoking inside the units. For that reason, I have never been to these resorts, although I have owned there for years.

I'm guessing some other North Carolina resorts allow smoking in the rooms. Tobacco has always been a huge industry in North Carolina. (So, the phrase "Smoky Mountains" has a double meaning. :rolleyes:)

When I first looked into timesharing, which was maybe two decades ago, most resorts allowed smoking in all their rooms. Because I have asthma, this put me off timesharing for a long time, until the smoking policies at most resorts changed. .

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is one that I own at, and I am not going to say which one because I don't want to encourage smokers to go there, where they keep an ashtray on the fireplace mantle with a folded card explaining the "voluntary no smoking policy" and how you are encouraged to take the ashtray out to the balcony or patio to light up. It is South of the Mason Dixon line.

I remember being in SC about 8 years ago and was amazed that McDonalds allowed smoking. It has only been about 4 years since MD passed the smoke free workplace law but even before then, really the only businesses that allowed smoking were bars and restaurants that had bars/liquor licences and that has been for as far back as I can remember.

I know exactly which resort you are speaking of. The little card left me scratching my head. I had been there a few times before and never bothered to read it until my December visit. I think most people just assume it's a non smoking resort which is good.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately at Worldmark they havent figured out how to keep the smoke on the smokers balcony. if the wind is right (wrong) and my balcony door is open. Im second hand smoking.

Ron...if you recall from messages traded last fall on another thread, we were both at Wyndham Indio in differing weeks late fall, and they permitted smoking on balconies. We had two couples adjacent to us for 4 days of our full week stay and they were all smokers. In fact, the guys were into cigars and while the 30' separation of balconies kept their clouds of smoke at bay, a few times we non smokers were literally engulfed and had to retreat indoors. They seemed quite friendly across the way, but there was never an apology for second hand smoke which they had to know was drifting our way. Just ban smoking in resorts all together!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ron...if you recall from messages traded last fall, we were both at Wyndham Indio in differing weeks late fall, and they permitted smoking on balconies. We had two couples adjacent to us for 4 days of our full week stay and they were all smokers. In fact, the guys were into cigars and while the 30' separation of balconies kept their clouds of smoke at bay, a few times we non smokers were literally engulfed and had to retreat indoors. They seemed quite friendly across the way, but there was never an apology for second hand smoke which they had to know was drifting our way. Just ban smoking in resorts all together!

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark allows smoking on the balconies.

For now anyway and there have been a lot of complaints about it. I'd look for that policy to be changing in the not too distant future.