• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Costco car rental discounts reallly that good

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think if you go back to the Low Price Finder at Costco to choose your reservation, I think you'll see the price may be the same for the class you selected, and the next higher class. So by paying the same price, you can get the higher class for the same rate. That was how it always seemed to work when I checked things. Also, from the main reservation page, you can select the coupon listed for the company, and you may get the free upgrade rate. But it may not be the lowest rate overall. It's all confusing. :)

Dave

Actually, the prices are as follows

Compact $193
Intermediate $200
Standard $207
Full Size $217

Whichever one I book, when pulled up on Alamo.com it shows the next size up in car class. Though on the Costco website it still shows the car class I selected.

Another note, with Alamo in Orlando the key is never to book in to a full size car if you can get in to the standard cheaper. MCO doesn't have a standard size isle and you are instructed to select from the full size cars. So we always book in to the standard in Orlando when it is cheaper.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just logged into Costco Travel looking at prices for a fullsize SUV (7-seater) for my 10 day Hawaii trip in January, and the cheapest rate was $1800+ including taxes and fees!

Good thing I booked made that same 10-day fullsize SUV reservation on Costco Travel 3 weeks ago for $535 total. Whew!!!!!

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just logged into Costco Travel looking at prices for a fullsize SUV (7-seater) for my 10 day Hawaii trip in January, and the cheapest rate was $1800+ including taxes and fees!

Good thing I booked made that same 10-day fullsize SUV reservation on Costco Travel 3 weeks ago for $535 total. Whew!!!!!

Yes, book early and keep checking. My price for a Dec. trip to Kauai kept dropping until it skyrocketed. Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip so I lost out on my great car rental rate.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco Car Rental Comes Thru Again

I had booked an Intermediate size car thru Costco with Alamo for $412.00 for 14 days in Jackson Hole, WY. This morning I was able to get an Intermediate size SUV for $353.19. I will continue to monitor prices to see if the rates drop anymore. If not at least I have a decent rate for our trip locked in. I love Costco.

Suzanne:banana:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Suzanne, don't forget to add this code if you have not already done so. It is working great for our upcoming rental in Orlando next month.

AF4469SDU

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Suzanne, don't forget to add this code if you have not already done so. It is working great for our upcoming rental in Orlando next month.

AF4469SDU

Costco discount coupons and codes are automatically added now when you reserve via the Costco website.

Sent from my iPad

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Costco discount coupons and codes are automatically added now when you reserve via the Costco website.

Sent from my iPad

Correct. You can see all the codes and coupons that will be added to a reservation if you click on the Terms & Conditions link when you highlight the car/company after the initial search.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks for the updated information.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
....and it is worth repeating to KEEP CHECKING.

I prefer Avis but only at a certain price point. There were three times the competition and here we are 6 days before my rental and they dropped their prices by 66% are now the same at the competition.

So it is worth checking on some periodic basis.

All things being equal I would take AVIS.

Okies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Score!

Got another great deal in Vegas. Had been randomly checking for a price drop, and lucked out two weeks ago. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw $46/week for a compact car. I snatched it up, but had some reget since I really wanted a larger car. Well, as if the deal was not good enough, there were no small cars. We got upgraded to full size! I hope we have this kind of luck for the rest of the week!

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got another great deal in Vegas. Had been randomly checking for a price drop, and lucked out two weeks ago. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw $46/week for a compact car. I snatched it up, but had some reget since I really wanted a larger car. Well, as if the deal was not good enough, there were no small cars. We got upgraded to full size! I hope we have this kind of luck for the rest of the week!

That's an unbelievable price! Good for you.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Two days in a row now, my reservation for 10-11-14 to 10-25-14 in Kauai for a
Full size went down $50. Saved $100 in two days. I'm at $360 for two weeks
All in with Alamo. Gotta love Costco. :cheer:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Need a car for the San Francisco Bay area in October. When I first checked Avis was the cheapest. A few days later Costco beat the Avis price. I'll keep checking to see if the price drops again. :D

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ok a couple days ago I found 10-day minivan rental for $488 all in on Discount Hawaii Car Rental. DHCR was higher in the past for SUV and minivan rentals, but this time they blew away current pricing on Costco Travel. I am fairly confident that I do not need to spend any more time searching for a lower price.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ok a couple days ago I found 10-day minivan rental for $488 all in on Discount Hawaii Car Rental. DHCR was higher in the past for SUV and minivan rentals, but this time they blew away current pricing on Costco Travel. I am fairly confident that I do not need to spend any more time searching for a lower price.

I'd still keep checking. :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Still loving Costco. I'm down to $315 all in for two weeks in a full size for
My Kauai trip starting 10-11-14.:cheer:
I used to get so jealous when I would see people posting these deals but I'm
Getting used to getting them now.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Holy Crap that is a great deal

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Down another $18 today to $297 for two weeks in a full size.:cheer:

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Down another $18 today to $297 for two weeks in a full size.:cheer:

We have a Costco rental coming up in Maui and Kauai in October. I think it said we have to start over completely to change, and then cancel the original. Is that true, or can the new rate just be handled by phone?

Thanks!

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always make a new reservation online and then cancel the previous one. I've never booked using Costco by phone.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
The easiest way is to make your new reservation and then cancel your old reservation, all done online.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, I always do it online. I make the new reservation then go in to my
Reservations and cancel the old one, very easy.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I always do it online. I make the new reservation then go in to my
Reservations and cancel the old one, very easy.
I agree it's very easy, I do it as well, but it is time consuming. For every new rental you have to enter full name and address, etc. Do you have to do the same?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I do have to fill those in too. It's only a couple minutes tops, well worth
The savings. My last drop was the smallest one at $18. Most of the other drops
Have been $50 or more.