• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Emergency care in London, Paris,Switzerland and Italy

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coral Reef Hilton Head, Indian Wells Condoshare
OK I am not being pessimistic here but I cannot tell you how many vacations my H and i have been on where one or the other has been sick --I wound up in the emergency room on at least 3 occasions while on vacation and I have had kidney stones which can appear out of no where...no warning and I need an ER right away when that happens,
Knowing all this causes me to plan plan plan as much as I can so I see all the docs before I go, take all meds with me and extra prescriptions (though not sure how helpful they will be in another country)
I plan to call my health insurance before I go to find out what they will or will not cover,,,
What I want to know is .. had anyone ever had to go to the doc or ER while in any of the countries mentioned and if so did you have to pay alot --what was the experience like --is there anything else I should be doing. Rick Steves gives a lot of good advice but I am a bit nervous renting someplace say for example in the middle of a little town in Tuscany where who knows how far the nearest ER is and I don't speak the language.
My H and I are not that old but I guess as we are getting a bit older I think of these things...we are both active and in good health..but just covering my bases here... I have also had about 10 root canals and they just come on all of a sudden as well...not sure where I would find an endodontist in Sienna:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For International Health Care, you will probably have to buy travel insurance. Most US Insurance companies are not contracted with providers in other countries.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We generally take out www.travelguard.com and have never needed it. We buy it because we have at least one 95-y.o. parent at home that if or when he should expire, or require our personal care, we can get back and it's covered. DW and I are both in mid 60's and though in good shape, anything can happen. There have been TUGgers, though who have been hospitalized and air-repatriated at great expense and the travel insurance has paid off. Your at-home health insurance is not worth much overseas, but there is medical care everywhere you are going, and at much lower cost than what we pay in the USA.

Travel insurance is all about peace of mind.

Jim

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
awesome thank you both I will check into both suggestions....you are right its all about peace of mind..

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had experience with the medical systems of both the UK and Switzerland, although both were appointments arranged ahead of time. I found the service to be very high quality and reasonably priced. The UK experience was with a private hospital, not one run by the NHS, and that is a very key distinction. If you have a problem in the UK, avoid the NHS and go to a private hospital. A former employee of mine got her master's degree in the UK and says she much prefers post-Soviet health care with all of its warts to the Briitsh NHS. Her favorite comment on the NHS is that if you are going to have a heart attack you had better plan it 6 months in advance and make an appointment, or they won't see you. Private hospitals are very different, as you can make appointments very easily and on short notice. The doctors in both the UK and Swiss experiences were also high quality, both medical school professors.

In the British situation, it was for a second opinion on a diagnosis of a rather serious conditiion for my daughter in law. It turned out that the local doctors here had not run all the tests, and she actually had a less serious and easily correctable conditiion. We were very pleased with the care at the UK private hospital.

In Switzerland, it was actually a third opinion for me, with widely varying treatment options from a doctor here and one in a neighboring country. The Swiss doctor did much more thorough testing than either of the other two, and concurred with the opinion of the doctor in the neighboring country which involved non-surgical treatment, which took care of the problem.

As to cost, the Swiss billed me just under 100 francs for physician and tests combined, which included ultrasound. I felt that was a bargain. The British billing was more substantial but was less than it would have cost in the US. My daugher in law's insurance did not cover the UK doctor visit. The medical insurance provided by my employer covers me internationally, including air medivac if necessary, but the cost was so low in Switzerland, I did not even bother with the paperwork to get my money back.

My only ER experiece in Europe was in Latvia, and I found it much more efficient and less costly than the US. I had a substance sprayed in my eyes in an unsuccesful robbery attempt, and the internet cafe I ran to called an ambulance which took me to the ER in Riga. Unlike US ER's, it was not jammed with deadbeats trying to get free medical care. I was seen within 5 minutes by a emergency medicine physician who identified the substance as pepper mace which should do no permanent harm. He sent me on to an eye doctor who was on duty (midnight) who gave more detailed examination and irrigated my eyes. I then went to check out, and they insisted on immediate payment. They did not process insurance. If I needed to go to an ATM or back to my hotel they would provide a staff member to go with me to get the money. I asked how much it was and was given a bill which worked out to about US$30 for everything, including the ambulance ride. I had that much in my pocket so I paid them on the spot. That is a tiny fraction of what the same would have cost in the US.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You just need to look into your health insurance and travel insurance papers. The health care in the countries you will travel to is very modern and professional. Don't worry! You will find newer and more advanced techniques and procedures than you might expect. But not cheap, like nothing in Europe for you at the moment. But I'm sure that a good insurance does cover you well.

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well we will check into the suggested insurance and call our own although I am sure they do not cover us out of the country.
US heath care is very expensive you are correct... I think I am less concerned about England and more about Italy and France becasuse of the language -we do have my sister in law's friend as a contact in Paris in the event we have a serious emergency but if we cannot explain symptoms etc and there is no one speaking English well that could be a problem.. I am also more concerned about a small town in Tuscany than London or Paris- Is there and equivalent to our 911 that you call if you have an emergency? Here wherever you are if there is an emegency call 911 for an ambulance... not sure what they do in each of these cities and again in the middle of the countryside:)
The cost is a separate issue and we need to check into the insurance.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teddie2,
You will find that there are plenty of English speakers everywhere in Europe. It is and has been taught in the schools in Western Europe for decades. Many people- especially in the countryside where fewer tourists go- will want to practice their English on you.

If you choose TravelGuard, it comes with a phone number to call and they will direct you to a doctor or hospital wherever you are.

I think you are investing too much worry in this. You aren't going to a third world country. If you run out of shampoo or toothpaste there, go to a store. Europeans wash their hair and brush their teeth too. Some of the joy of going to another culture is to see how they handle the day-to-day situations that arise. You will find far more similarities than differences.

Relax and have a fun trip.

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
No problem with english

When my wife came down with Pneumonia in Germany, they put her in the intensive care unit since they was where most of the English speaking staff were located. She really did not need it but the Germans being known for their efficiency decided it would be best for communication purposes rather than the regular rooms at the "Krankenhaus".;)

Our insurance covered everything but I had to pay 500 euros to ransom her from the Hospital after her three day stay and get reimbursed later.

Many hospitals in Europe have a large number of the staff who have trained in England or the States so there is seldom a problem with even the most technical medical terms.

Cheers

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Teddie2,
You will find that there are plenty of English speakers everywhere in Europe. It is and has been taught in the schools in Western Europe for decades. Many people- especially in the countryside where fewer tourists go- will want to practice their English on you.

If you choose TravelGuard, it comes with a phone number to call and they will direct you to a doctor or hospital wherever you are.

I think you are investing too much worry in this. You aren't going to a third world country. If you run out of shampoo or toothpaste there, go to a store. Europeans wash their hair and brush their teeth too. Some of the joy of going to another culture is to see how they handle the day-to-day situations that arise. You will find far more similarities than differences.

Jim

I am very aware that I am not going to a third world country..My H and I have had several emergencies while on vacations elsewhere and thus my preparation. I also had a cousin whose fiance died in a medical emergency while in Europe. I just like to go somewhere informed..we are going to be away for 24 days and one never knows what might happen. If you have ever had kidney stones you would know the worry about wanting to know what to do if.
I know what I do here if I need help so just want to know what to do in case. I also do not assume that everyone speaks english everywhere--so being prepared with important phrases written down somewhere... medication list etc..will take any anxiety about the what if.

TravelGuard is something that I plan to check into and thank you for the suggestion and well wishes.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Teddie2,

Jim

:) Yes Jim, you are so right! I washed my hair this morning (I wash it every day) and brush my teeth twice a day, my husband three times. :)

Oh dear, I didn't know people would be so upset to visit Europe! :) Please, don't worry but enjoy! We Europeans are used to speak and listen to so many languages. Nowadays we all speak English with all sorts of accents. :)

Dial 112 when you are in need. It's the alarm number for Europe. You will get connected immediately and you can speak your own language.

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:) Yes Jim, you are so right! I washed my hair this morning (I wash it every day) and brush my teeth twice a day, my husband three times. :)

Oh dear, I didn't know people would be so upset to visit Europe! :) Please, don't worry but enjoy! We Europeans are used to speak and listen to so many languages. Nowadays we all speak English with all sorts of accents. :)

Dial 112 when you are in need. It's the alarm number for Europe. You will get connected immediately and you can speak your own language.

Perfect that was all I needed to know:)

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our recent trip to London, hubby needed to secure some additional insulin. A prescription from EU physician was required. DIL made appt for us at NHS clinic (we made appt in the am and ret'd in the pm). Doctor wrote scrip for hubby and we were off to Boots to have it filled. Yes, we did have to fork over 60 Euro at the clinic and an addt'l 40 at Boots. But when I returned to work , I put in claims to United Healtchare and Medco and was reimbursed all but $35 visit co-pay and $30 drug co-pay. I subsequently submitted those charges for FSA reimbursement.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
For International Health Care, you will probably have to buy travel insurance. Most US Insurance companies are not contracted with providers in other countries.

My FEHB Blue Cross covered us in England, Scotland and Wales. Thankfully, we didn't need to use it, but I had printed out all the particulars in advance just in case.

Sheila

GeraldineT

Reaction score
You will have to pay out of pocket and then some reimbursed to you. May not be all you paid but travel insurance is not 100% either. Check with your insurance company to see what the coverage is. I know mine is the same as using an out of network provider. Also keep the phone numbers to the US Embassys in the countries where you are traveling. Your tax dollars pay a great deal of money for this and they are more than helpful and have arrangements with doctors, dentists and hospitals.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have to pay out of pocket and then some reimbursed to you. May not be all you paid but travel insurance is not 100% either. Check with your insurance company to see what the coverage is. I know mine is the same as using an out of network provider. Also keep the phone numbers to the US Embassys in the countries where you are traveling. Your tax dollars pay a great deal of money for this and they are more than helpful and have arrangements with doctors, dentists and hospitals.

Good point. US Embassies keep lists of English speaking doctors in the country.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although you have not asked about the Caribbean, we found out the hard way that there are public hospitals and private hospitals. If anything ever happens, insist on going to a private hospital, especially in Jamaica. I feel so sorry for those who are forced to undure the facilites at the public hospital, which resembled a decaying school. The staff was kind, trained, but clearly stretched beyond their means. Finally, after hours, one of the docs put us in a cab and sent us to his private facility.

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we are going to Europe not Caribbean but yes we have heard that before about private vrs public..someone mentioned that as an issue in London

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are going to Europe not Caribbean but yes we have heard that before about private vrs public..someone mentioned that as an issue in London

It would be an issue in the UK, but not in Switzerland. I am not familiar with the medical system in Italy.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The NHS doesn't deserve the criticism that it receives. In terms of medical care NHS and Private are comparable. What Private offers above the NHS is more in terms of facilities. With Private you will have your own room and bathroom etc whereas this is less likely with the NHS.

I've experienced both levels of care and in relation to the medical side of things there is little difference, things are just more comfortable in private but that's because you're paying through the nose for it.

Personally, I'm happy with the NHS and despite its faults it's still a fantastic institution.

persia

Reaction score
It's the same with Medicare in Australia, you just get a bit more choice with private insurance. The nice thing is that when I am in the UK NHS covers me because of a reciprocity agreement between Medicare and NHS. It would be nice if all countries had reciprocal agreements.

The NHS doesn't deserve the criticism that it receives. In terms of medical care NHS and Private are comparable. What Private offers above the NHS is more in terms of facilities. With Private you will have your own room and bathroom etc whereas this is less likely with the NHS.

I've experienced both levels of care and in relation to the medical side of things there is little difference, things are just more comfortable in private but that's because you're paying through the nose for it.

Personally, I'm happy with the NHS and despite its faults it's still a fantastic institution.

MomoD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uk Nhs

I have had experience with the medical systems of both the UK and Switzerland, although both were appointments arranged ahead of time. I found the service to be very high quality and reasonably priced. The UK experience was with a private hospital, not one run by the NHS, and that is a very key distinction. If you have a problem in the UK, avoid the NHS and go to a private hospital. A former employee of mine got her master's degree in the UK and says she much prefers post-Soviet health care with all of its warts to the Briitsh NHS. Her favorite comment on the NHS is that if you are going to have a heart attack you had better plan it 6 months in advance and make an appointment, or they won't see you. Private hospitals are very different, as you can make appointments very easily and on short notice. The doctors in both the UK and Swiss experiences were also high quality, both medical school professors.

In the British situation, it was for a second opinion on a diagnosis of a rather serious conditiion for my daughter in law. It turned out that the local doctors here had not run all the tests, and she actually had a less serious and easily correctable conditiion. We were very pleased with the care at the UK private hospital.

In Switzerland, it was actually a third opinion for me, with widely varying treatment options from a doctor here and one in a neighboring country. The Swiss doctor did much more thorough testing than either of the other two, and concurred with the opinion of the doctor in the neighboring country which involved non-surgical treatment, which took care of the problem.

As to cost, the Swiss billed me just under 100 francs for physician and tests combined, which included ultrasound. I felt that was a bargain. The British billing was more substantial but was less than it would have cost in the US. My daugher in law's insurance did not cover the UK doctor visit. The medical insurance provided by my employer covers me internationally, including air medivac if necessary, but the cost was so low in Switzerland, I did not even bother with the paperwork to get my money back.

My only ER experiece in Europe was in Latvia, and I found it much more efficient and less costly than the US. I had a substance sprayed in my eyes in an unsuccesful robbery attempt, and the internet cafe I ran to called an ambulance which took me to the ER in Riga. Unlike US ER's, it was not jammed with deadbeats trying to get free medical care. I was seen within 5 minutes by a emergency medicine physician who identified the substance as pepper mace which should do no permanent harm. He sent me on to an eye doctor who was on duty (midnight) who gave more detailed examination and irrigated my eyes. I then went to check out, and they insisted on immediate payment. They did not process insurance. If I needed to go to an ATM or back to my hotel they would provide a staff member to go with me to get the money. I asked how much it was and was given a bill which worked out to about US$30 for everything, including the ambulance ride. I had that much in my pocket so I paid them on the spot. That is a tiny fraction of what the same would have cost in the US.

I'm not sure where you got your information from about the NHS in the UK, Not sure where your former emplyee lived whilst here, but I can assure you 100% if you have a heart attack or any other serious condition you are seen IMEDIATELY by a doctor at any of our hospitals. No serious medical condition in this country is ever left for 6 months, a gross and very unfair description. I had a friend vist from the US who did'nt feel very well, I took her to our local hospital to see a doctor who diagnosed Lime's disease (something we only have in Scotland), he explained that as she was leaving the very next day she should see her own doctor when she returned home. All this FREE OF CHARGE, and with a real qualified doctor. When you visit the UK you will be given one free visit to the hospital, any other follow up visit will be charge for, however, if you have a friend or relation in the UK you may visit their doctor as many times as necessary without ANY charge whatsoever.

Hope this clears up some mis-information.

Maureen :wall:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the best articles on the flaws of the NHS were written in the context of the Obamacare fight in the US citing varioius statistics. One of the best was written by a prominent UK journalist which quoted official reports of absolutely awful conditions in some of the NHS hospitals. Because of that political context, I cannot link to them here, unfortunately. I have also personally read a series of horror stories directly out of the UK press on the NHS in the Daily Telegraph while I have been travelling in the UK. Waiting lists are a big complaint but so are conditions of some of the facilities. All of that just backs up what one of my former employees said about her experiences with the NHS while she was getting her master's degree in the UK and her opinion that medical care in the hospitals of post-Soviet states, even with all its warts, was still better than that of the UK NHS, not that she was that fond of post-Soviet care, either.

I have read and heard enough about the NHS that I made sure my DIL went to a private facility instead.

It is not just the UK, but there is a huge difference here in eastern Europe between the level of care at public hospitals and private hospitals. In my own case, I had a local doctor who was extremely keen to do an unnecessary operation that would have put some money in his pocket and may have had some negative results in future years. The Swiss specialist I saw prescribed a non-surgical treatment that has resolved the condition. That was before we really had a private hospital here. Now we do, and from what I hear, the level of care is far superior to the public hospitals.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
My former employee never had a heart attack herself, but had other medical issues where she found immense problems with waiting lists. With her journalist background, I think she used the heart attack scenario mainly to make her point about waiting lists in general.

While I don't think I have seen any stastics or read any articles concerning heart attack care in the NHS, I have read quite a few about cancer care, where waiting lists too often cause the condition to worsen before a patient makes it up the list for surgery. That results in significantly higher death rates from many cancers in the NHS compared to the US.

Frankly, the articles I read while travelling in the UK in the Daily Telegraph of London, one of the major British newspapers about filthy conditions in a number of HNS hospitals would be enough to cause me to try to avoid any of them. Granted they may only be a minority, but I would not want to chance dealing with the conditions described in those articles.

I'm not sure where you got your information from about the NHS in the UK, Not sure where your former emplyee lived whilst here, but I can assure you 100% if you have a heart attack or any other serious condition you are seen IMEDIATELY by a doctor at any of our hospitals. No serious medical condition in this country is ever left for 6 months, a gross and very unfair description. I had a friend vist from the US who did'nt feel very well, I took her to our local hospital to see a doctor who diagnosed Lime's disease (something we only have in Scotland), he explained that as she was leaving the very next day she should see her own doctor when she returned home. All this FREE OF CHARGE, and with a real qualified doctor. When you visit the UK you will be given one free visit to the hospital, any other follow up visit will be charge for, however, if you have a friend or relation in the UK you may visit their doctor as many times as necessary without ANY charge whatsoever.

Hope this clears up some mis-information.

Maureen :wall: