• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Abercrombie & Kent Residence Club

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to expand on this? It's always good to hear something positive about a DC!!!

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Equity?

So my memory of how A&K RC was structured is foggy ... but wasn't it an equity club? If so, how does that mesh with ER which is a non-equity club IIRC?

I've obviously missed out on the recent history of A&K as I assume that there was some catalyst to move them to merge with ER?

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
I'll let Mark answer more legally, but we still own the homes in an entity, and then we in effect lease the homes to ER so they can use them. It, in effect, becomes our equity payment to be in ER.

If in a few years, we don't like how things are going.. The owners of the holding company (us) can vote to liquidate the real estate, or find a new manager, or go at it alone..

The fact that we have ownership in the properties and have no debt is saving our ass...

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a creative solution that could potentially be ... dare I say it ... "win/win".

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
It's definitely a win-win-win-win. Members that want to get out, get to get out. Members that want more locations get more locations. Members that want to downgrade to less nights can. AK is happy, ER is happy with all the new dues paying members.

Etc.

ClubsRDead

Reaction score
What happens to the development company homes, are they going to ER too? Will members now be calling Denver instead of Chicago? Club managers such as Darin, Stephanie, etc - how does the club afford to continue paying these people when ER's staff is obviously capable of handling the bookings for 100 people. What about those who wanted OUT of A&K for the past couple of years, how do they get made whole if the entire premise of resignation was based upon new sales coming in, which one would assume there is no longer an A&K sales team as nothing's been sold in over a year. Seems odd that club members could have selected any group to "manage" their business and appears to have taken one where they will just be a # in a computer. If it however affords new travel opportunities and new assets it probably is a win to that degree as the landscape hadn't changed with homes at A&K since inception. Good luck to all.

Reaction score
A&K is leasing development co. homes to ER for a period of time to transition existing reservations. Former AKRC members (now Residence Club Holding Co. members) will have an ER ambassador, and ER will be managing the properties. RCHC will not be using the A&K Management Company after the end of the year. The ER portfolio broadly expands the travel portfolio for traveling members, which as CRD points out was stuck since inception. A&K becomes a major travel provider to ER, so A&K benefits. ER gets more dues paying members and ER members get a few more destinations and some nice homes.

I will say that the equity structure really was helpful, because it gave us a significant asset (i.e., homes that had no debt) and helped us control our destiny.

Chicagomark

Reaction score
If you are on the resignation list at A&K now and would like to get cash now, instead of later. Please reach out to me. Interested in finding someone who has been on the resignation list for a while with a reasonable plan who wants out.

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
What happens to the development company homes, are they going to ER too? Will members now be calling Denver instead of Chicago? Club managers such as Darin, Stephanie, etc - how does the club afford to continue paying these people when ER's staff is obviously capable of handling the bookings for 100 people. What about those who wanted OUT of A&K for the past couple of years, how do they get made whole if the entire premise of resignation was based upon new sales coming in, which one would assume there is no longer an A&K sales team as nothing's been sold in over a year. Seems odd that club members could have selected any group to "manage" their business and appears to have taken one where they will just be a # in a computer. If it however affords new travel opportunities and new assets it probably is a win to that degree as the landscape hadn't changed with homes at A&K since inception. Good luck to all.

The RCHC will appraise the homes, sell off the homes necessary to pay off members on resignation list. Resigning members will get pro rata shares of monies from sale... It will be less than they put in because real estate prices went down.. probably somewhere between 50-70%. We'll see when the appraisals come in.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
real estate prices went down.. probably somewhere between 50-70%.

Real estate prices went down 70 percent?

Another spectacular result for the destination club industry. At least a 70% loss is better than the 100% loss absorbed by the victims of Abercrombie & Kent's first venture into the industry.

Remind me again why anyone signs up for destination clubs when they know what's happened to all who went before them?

Reaction score
I think what NeilGoBlue meant is that real estate prices have come down 30-50%, meaning you'd net the difference (i.e., 50-70%). As a practical matter, we don't know where it'll fall out, because it's totally real estate driven, dependent on timing.

I for one am going to continute to travel and let my equity ride for a while to see if we can get back closer to where we were. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Most DCs, particularly the non-equity kind, have been absolute disasters, timeshare values have mostly tanked, fractionals have mostly tanked, the secondary whole ownership market has mostly tanked. Definitely some signs of life out there now, but it'll probably be a long road....

Beta49

Reaction score
Has anyone who resigned from A&K prior to the switch to ER been contracted yet?

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
Has anyone who resigned from A&K prior to the switch to ER been contracted yet?

I don't know the answer to your question. But there is a Facebook group for members that have chosen not to join ER. Send me a private message I can point you in the right direction to get added to the group.