• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge

M&JJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a Marriott owner but have traded in to the Marriott Canyon Villas and we loved our time there so much that I am looking a changing up my current timeshare holdings to include this. We are a family of 7 and travel in the summer months. Yes, I know how hot it is in AZ in the summer - we have done this many times. I am looking for advice on the best way to do this. I have also stayed at the Westin Kierland and enjoyed that very much as well so considering that as an option.

Our plan would be to use this unit rather than doing much trading. There may be opportunity in the future that we may trade but that is not the intent for the ownership there. Is there a better way to purchase a Marriott somewhere else that would be a lower cost unit and trade in?

Any advice is welcome.

thanks

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would watch ebay.

Gold Canyon Villas should be had for a reasonable amount of money.

MLP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased an annual platinum MCV 2BR lock off unit in July for $4100. MF are just under $1K.

Who knows how low they will go in the future.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is to check Interval International getaways. Should be good availability for the summer months for less than or equal to maintenance fees.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second this option

Another option is to check Interval International getaways. Should be good availability for the summer months for less than or equal to maintenance fees.

For the last three years, I've spent two to four weeks at Marriott's Palm Desert restorts (from June through October). For a two bedroom, full kitchen, golf course view, I've been spending about $400 a week. I went twice this year, and I just got back from an extra week at Desert Springs (which I like the best).

I suspect the property tax is more than I spent for my trips, and I haven't had to invest any capital in a timeshare interest. If I get tired of these summer trips, and decide to do something else, I don't have to worry about how to unload my timeshare.

Wish I had know this before I bought my MOC unit.

M&JJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
so if I buy a platinum week, can I use it for a stay in the summer?

Are there many 2 bedroom units available on the Interval International getaways?

I have been watching ebay for about a month but have not seen any units come up there. There is one but it is EOY and I prefer an annual.

any other thoughts?

mightywyrm

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Are there many 2 bedroom units available on the Interval International getaways?

I have been watching ebay for about a month but have not seen any units come up there. There is one but it is EOY and I prefer an annual.

any other thoughts?

I believe summer requires gold season, though you could easily exchange a 2BR platinum week for a 2BR gold week (perhaps 2, if II is offering Accommodation Certificates, or ACs).

In 2010 (prior to roll-out of the DC program) there was a great deal of summer availability at this resort through II. They played some games with the inventory, but with frequent monitoring I was able to rent 2BR weeks in the $350~$475 range very easily.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

any other thoughts?

Just keep an eye on ebay with searches for "Marriott Canyon Ridge" and also "Marriott Desert Ridge". If you want to use it in in the summer months and not use it for trading, I wouldn't waste my money on a platinum. The summer months are Blue/Bronze weeks for weeks 28 thru 35 (2011: July 14 thru Sept 8). There is no demand for Blue/Bronze weeks and ebay bids are always closing with no bids: nobody wants them. Use that to your advantage = $1 bid and try to get reduced closing costs. A platinum may cost you between $2,000 and $3,000, but are for weeks 1-21 and 50-52. Might be better for trading, but it's not when you want to go there.

Note that for 2011, Gold/White season is weeks 22-27 (June 2nd thru July 14th) and weeks 36-49 (Sept 8 thru Dec 15).

Last edited: