• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Several Newbie questions...and to think I found the answers to many more already!

scoop1970

Reaction score
First, great group! I am learning a ton about the DVC Timeshares which I am super interested in purchasing the first few weeks in October after a work bonus. I've gotten a lot of questions answered from the forums; thank you!

Six questions that I still had:

1. In a DVC thread here, someone made a rather cryptic mention that "if you want to have the Polynesian as your resort and you want to be there during high times (my words)" then you may have to buy directly into that resort instead of just using points (so you can plan 11 months out). Is the Polynesian that sought after? I was just curious. Or is this statement true for any resort during high use times like summer, spring break etc?

2. I was going to originally buy around 125 points but noted that in this forum somewhere, someone said to buy closer to double that. It's just me and my young daughter, so I think a studio would be fine, but is it one of those things were I'm gong to find that its hard to book even 7 months out with that few points and if I had more I could get a bigger room and ostensibly find it easier to book?

3. It looks like the smart thing to do is to buy at any WDW resort, probably one of the cheaper ones and then use those points at other more expensive resorts. And that, most of the time if I have backups, and are flexible in my times, I'll be fine--so for example, I could buy at WDW Resort X and then if I want to stay at Resorts Y or Z in May, I could do that. I've heard from most folks that booking seven months out is still pretty flexible.

5. Also, why is it cheaper to buy a timeshare on here than in the resale store? I assume it must be the commission diff but was just curious.

6. Is there a listing somewhere of the current Maintenance Fees for each WDW resort?

*********Thank you all*********************

Thank you!

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. In a DVC thread here, someone made a rather cryptic mention that "if you want to have the Polynesian as your resort and you want to be there during high times (my words)" then you may have to buy directly into that resort instead of just using points (so you can plan 11 months out). Is the Polynesian that sought after? I was just curious. Or is this statement true for any resort during high use times like summer, spring break etc?

there is currently NOT a poly DVC resort, so this is just a general statement for high demand options (both high season, limited villa types and popular resorts).

also, summer is not high season for DVC owners. early december is the real tough one. fall in general is busy and you should plan to book very early.

if you want to stay in the hotel side of the poly, DVC is not the answer at all.

2. I was going to originally buy around 125 points but noted that in this forum somewhere, someone said to buy closer to double that. It's just me and my young daughter, so I think a studio would be fine, but is it one of those things were I'm gong to find that its hard to book even 7 months out with that few points and if I had more I could get a bigger room and ostensibly find it easier to book?

buy only what you need (especially if you can book 10-11 months out). you might buy an extra small buffer if point costs change due to a reallocation, but that's only an extra 10%, 20% tops.

edited to add: it is easier in general to book 1BRs than studios, but if you are willing to settle for a studio at SSR, you will typically be ok.

3. It looks like the smart thing to do is to buy at any WDW resort, probably one of the cheaper ones and then use those points at other more expensive resorts. And that, most of the time if I have backups, and are flexible in my times, I'll be fine--so for example, I could buy at WDW Resort X and then if I want to stay at Resorts Y or Z in May, I could do that. I've heard from most folks that booking seven months out is still pretty flexible.

this can work sometimes. especially if you book exactly at the 7 month window when the window opens first thing in the morning. and maybe if you are successful surfing the waitlists sometimes as well.

but there is also a reason people pay extra to buy those more expensive resorts...

the best general rule over at the DIS is to "buy where you don't mind staying." demand might change and you might get "stuck" there...

5. Also, why is it cheaper to buy a timeshare on here than in the resale store? I assume it must be the commission diff but was just curious.

where are you seeing these cheaper prices?

6. Is there a listing somewhere of the current Maintenance Fees for each WDW resort?

here is a great thread at the DIS:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823943

Last edited:

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
where are you seeing these cheaper prices?
It's important to realize that DVC has an active right-of-first-refusal process, and they often exercise it for points priced to low. A few sneak by them every so often, but those are exceptions.

Its far more important to buy the number of points you want, rather than get a few extra at a lower price. Any savings you might get buy buying a few extra points at a slightly lower buy-in price will greatly be outweighed by paying dues on those points over the life of you contract. So don't be penny-wise & pound-foolish by focusing on closing costs, price-per-point, etc., over getting the right contract.

Last edited:

mickeymorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, great group! I am learning a ton about the DVC Timeshares which I am super interested in purchasing the first few weeks in October after a work bonus. I've gotten a lot of questions answered from the forums; thank you!

Six questions that I still had:

The Poly DVC is in the process of being built. From many other DVC sources, the general consensus is the Poly will be very popular. Studios tend to book up faster because of the lower point costs though you will probably be able to find one at the Poly at 7 months sometime throughout the year. I just came back from BCV July 4th week booked at 7 months.

Generally there will be more 1 bdrms available than studios because of the higher pt costs. Personally I like the extra space and the separate bdrm it offers but then I have to give up going as often. Unless you are planning on going at high demand time like December, you should be able to find availability at 7 months out. Just make sure you book your home resort before so you have a back up.

I have never stayed in May but I wouldn't think availability would be crazy difficult. Star Wars weekend maybe. Just remember that with any timeshare it takes some planning. It's not for the last minute vacationer.

Prices might vary between resale sites but Disney can exercise ROFR if they think the price is too low. There have been instances of people sneaking through really good deals though. Just be comfortable with the price you are willing to pay. I think closing costs will be similar no matter where you buy from.

I know of a couple Disney only forums that you could find the fees of all resorts since each ones opening. Not sure if I can say their names on here so PM me if you would like. Unless a moderator gives me the thumbs up :)

*********Thank you all*********************

Thank you!

Welcome to Tug and enjoy learning how to get the most from timeshares. I know I'm still learning a ton.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of us own some Disney points - I own 90 AKV based points brought from one of the resale stores. Funny thing is, I have never used my personal DVC points - I rent them using a rental broker. But I have stayed MANY times at DVC resorts via exchanging. And I truly prefer the 1bdr units over any STUDIO units - just too small and they ONLY have kitchenettes - like a small refrigerator with paper dishware and a microwave -- really. You can't heat up a bowl of soup or make mac & cheese.

But I also stay at the very nearby non-Disney resorts - the rooms tend to be larger and the TV stations are not 90% Disney product placement. I once left my nephew in the DVC LR and fell asleep first; he knew almost NOTHING about the Disney parks before going to bed, but at 7AM he knew almost everything -- all night long, he watched the various Disney park channels -- it was scary what a 12yo could learn in 9 hours - roller coasters, water parks, plunge rides (Tower of Doom), Kali River Rafts, shopping at Downtown Disney, places to eat @ $35+/head for a hamburger, etc. And every Disney song every written along with Disney tee-shirts, Disney hats, Disney charms, Disney cups, Disney, Disney, Disney ...

But if you are getting that bonus and want to buy DVC Points -- go for it. And remember, your young daughter will grow and getting bigger. Get the 1bdr point values - most have 2 full bathrooms. My 12 yo nephew slept in the LR for the week and totally used his bathroom as his changing room.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you think you will be happy staying in almost all the time. Once you know which resort you are interested in, see how many points you would need for a week (or how long you think you will normally go for) - in a studio. Give or take a few points. I know that BLT, VGF & Poly in the future will take a few more points than say OKW, BWVs standard, etc.

You now need to decide if you want to go the resale route or direct. Almost everyone will recommend resale as long as you are fine with the restrictions, have some patience and know that Disney can buy that contract back. You will save a ton of money this way.

If you buy direct, quick and painless. Also - you can buy the resorts that are sold out by Disney even though the guides try to push the resorts they are selling now, Aulani and GFVs I believe.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Poly was building mostly studios and 3 bedrooms. If you are okay with studios and only wanting to stay at the Poly, buy those direct as soon as they are on sale. The prices go up during the sales process and you'd get your best deal on day one.

If you don't mind staying anywhere, then buying at Saratoga Springs on resale is often the best value.

You need to look at the point charts for actual weeks that you would want to go since they vary considerably throughout the year. Dvcnews.com has all the latest pricing and point charts. Mouseowners.com has a forum that is really good about DVC membership and use. Here is a prediction thread on pricing for Poly http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89659 There are several very detailed threads on the Poly construction and plans on that site, also.

lilpooh108

Reaction score

I think you should look at what it will cost you to stay x number of days, and then buy a contract with 25 points above that number in order to account for future increases when they shift the point chart. It will cost you more admin/transactional costs to add on in the future if you lack enough points rather than to pay the MFs for 25 extra points.

scoop1970

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice; it is much appreciated. I had always thought I would go low and just get a studio but will definitely keep it in mind, the 1 bedrooms. I did see that Poly will open up for timeshares soon--that so exciting. I'm sure they may be out of my price range but I'll definitely wait on those to go on sale just in case.

I've heard great things from people that have SSR, although I'd prefer it to be a little closer to the parks so I think that's my backup for sure. And I am definitely going resale. As several people have pointed out I can rent my points out if I want to exchange them for a cruise or whatnot.

I also love the idea of Animal Kingdom although it's off the beaten path too.

I think my order will be this:
1. Poly (if I can afford, we'll see)
2. Wilderness Lodge (the rooms look pretty cheesy but it's close to MK and the holidays there are supposed to be outstanding).
3. Animal Kingdom (I'm a little worried we'll be hoofing it to a restaurant a half mile away with a little one; I don't think she's so into exotic cuisine) :)
4. SSR--I truly think this would work out great as well; so it's a win/win for me!

Thank you again,
Susan

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I say stay at ssr once to see if you like the resort or not. SSR was where I bought many years ago to stay on site at disneyland. Bought it to use to stay at grandcal, paradise pier and disneylaand hotel before grandcal villas were built. It was also a good use of points then but now its crazy. Well have never stayed at any wdw resort till now. Have stayed in 1br villas at boardwalk, beach club villas and ssr.
I like ssr the best so far. Close walks to bus stops and pools. I don't know what people are complaining about ssr buses. They have been plentiful, fast and not crowded. Parking is easier and closer than bcv. Rooms look better upkept with modern furniture and appliances. I have a broken vcr/dvd player at bcv versus a modern blu ray dvd player at ssr. Now bcv and bwv do have the boardwalk area with a lot more restaurants and nite life than ssr. More options to get to epcot and hollywood studios by way of water shuttle. Although ssr is short water ride to downtown disney with more food and entertainment options. Also bcv has the best pool area for kids. Although we just goto typhoon lagoon or blizzard beach each afternoon when we want to swim.
I guess to each there own but try the areas yourself. Just a little positive post about ssr only good for cheap buy in. I am of the minority that would gladly stay at ssr instead of bcv and bwv.