• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top 10 Timeshare Questions! (new idea page)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
So...how about it...lets cough up some ideas.

What are the top 10 timeshare questions you expect people would ask upon finding TUG.

I know that hands down the first one is "how do I sell my timeshare"...so we can mark that as number 1.

how to rent is likely in the top 10...but im not sure thats number 2.

so what say you...the "borg collective" of timeshare guruism! what do you all think are the top ten timeshare questions?

*edited to add the ideas below...in no particular order...we will vote later)

1. How do I sell my timeshare?
2. How do I rent my timeshare?
3. Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Poiints?
4. Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks?
5. I have [RCI/Wyndham/etc.] points that are about to expire. What should I do with them? Can they be extended?
6. I know resale timeshares are cheaper, but aren't there advantages to buying from the developer?
7. What points system is best for me?
8. If I don't want to keep my timeshare, can I give it to charity and get a tax deduction?
9. Are [Marriott, HGVC, etc.] properties worth the extra cost?
10. If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?
11. I just purchased this timeshare from (fill in blank). How do I get out of it (or rescind)?
12. Which one is better - RCI or II?
13. What is the least expensive, most efficient, way to travel to my timeshare.
14. What timeshare purchase is best for my family?
15. How do I find the best re-sell price for a timeshare property?
16. Which is better buying form a developer like Marriott's or buying resale in the open market? Example: Tug Market Place
17. How do I select a timeshare? Example: Price, location of the t/s property, or the size of the unit. A lock unit or a non-lock unit.
18. How do I received the best exchange for my money. Do I purchase points or a fix week?
19. I just bought a TS from {blank} did I get a good deal?
20. Is it safe to buy a timeshare on E-Bay or Craigslist?
21. How do I protect myself if I do buy a timeshare on the internet?
22. What should I look for so I am not scamed over the internet?
23. What special access do I get to the Tug site because I'm a member?
24. What is Timeshare and how many different types are there?
25. What should I be looking for to buy my first timeshare?
26. Is a Timeshare an Asset or liability and why?
27. Why Join TUG?

Update - Page created...here is the link! http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/frequently_asked_questions_about_timeshares.html

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh and it would also be nice to provide a tug "official" answer for this question...for easier reference.

for example:

Q: How do I sell my timeshare?

A: This is hands down the most frequently asked question we get on TUG, so do not feel alone or disheartened that you dont know. You have already gone light years ahead of most individuals by finding TUG to get the right answer!

This question has such a large answer, that the collective minds of owners and experts here on the TUGBBS forums have collaborated with an all ecompassing article called "How to Sell your Timeshare" that is located here:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44

We highly suggest reading this article carefully and completely as it will answer nearly every question you have about how to sell your timeshare!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. How do I sell my timeshare?

2. How do I rent my timeshare?

3. Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Poiints?

4. Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks?

5. I have [RCI/Wyndham/etc.] points that are about to expire. What should I do with them? Can they be extended?

6. I know resale timeshares are cheaper, but aren't there advantages to buying from the developer?

7. What points system is best for me?

8. If I don't want to keep my timeshare, can I give it to charity and get a tax deduction?

9. Are [Marriott, HGVC, etc.] properties worth the extra cost?

10. If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased this timeshare from (fill in blank). How do I get out of it (or rescind)?

Which one is better - RCI or II?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ohhh...fantastic ideas there...i think ill let this simmer for awahile to see what kinda questions we get...then make an ubergigantic poll so we can all vote on which ones should be ranked where!

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
What is the least expensive, most efficient, way to travel to my timeshare.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What timeshare purchase is best for my family?

This is a great thread. I'm sure I'll have more ideas later.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. How do I find the best re-sell price for a timeshare property?
2. Which is better buying form a developer like Marriott's or buying
re-sell in the open market? Example: Tug Market Place
3. How do I select a timeshare? Example: Price, location of the t/s property,
or the size of the unit. A lock unit or a non-lock unit.
4. How do I received the best exchange for my money. Do I purchase points or a fix week?

Bill4728

Reaction score
The number 2 question is:

Q. I just bought a TS from {blank} did I get a good deal?

A:
You likely paid two to five times more than you should have if you had bought the exact same TS resale from a current owner. Check your paperwork and see if you can still rescind ( cancel ) your purchase. (Normally if it is within 5-10 days of the date you purchased, you can rescind.) If your within that time period. RESCIND!! Then find out if you did the right thing or if you could have done better buying resale from a current owner. If you find out that for you buying from the developer was the right thing, you should have no problem getting the same deal (or better). But if you don't rescind now, and find out that you should have bought resale from a current owner, it may be too late to rescind. So Rescind now, get educated about buying from the developer and buying resale, then make an educated choice about what is best for you and your family.

PS if you can rescind, follow the directions in your paperwork exactly. If it says send by US mail don't send it overnight with FedEx, send it by US mail ( with a receipt which show when you mailed it).

Last edited:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to buy a timeshare on E-Bay or Craigslist?

How do I protect myself if I do?

What should I look for so I am not scamed?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated the first post to include all questions sofar...ill let this run for a few weeks to see how many more questions we get...then we can vote!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id forgotten about it honestly...thanks for bringing it back to the top.

beanb41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the following questions should be included:
1. What is Timeshare and how many different types are there?
Question 2
What should I be looking for to buy my first timeshare?
Question 3.
Is Timeshare an Asset or liability and why?
Question 4
Why join TUG?

I'll come back with more

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When do I get to learn the secret TUG handshake?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
questions added to the list...thank you!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
10 More Timeshare Questions.

Is a new timeshare worth more than a used timeshare ?

How does ROFR support the resale value of my timeshare ?

Is it OK to take timeshare tours for freebies with no intention of buying a timeshare ?

If I join I-I or RCI, can I trade my timeshare week for a week at any other timeshare in the I-I or RCI book ?

If I get tired of my timeshare, do I have to keep on paying the annual fees ?

When I'm finished with my timeshare, can I just give it back to the resort ?

If my timeshare is "floating," am I guaranteed any week I want every year ?

If my timeshare is on the fixed-week system, can I just show up & check in on the appropriate day ?

If I won't be using my unit some year, will my timeshare resort rent out my unit for me & send me the rent money ?

When I'm on vacation at my timeshare, am I required to attend the owner meetings ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do I get to learn the secret TUG handshake?

I'll probably be banned for life for divulging this to the general public, but I feel the timeshare world will be a better place if we all know and memorize the 'TUG secret handshake'... previously, this knowledge was limited to only members with 5000 posts or more.

Now, when you find a fellow TUG member (they should be wearing the TUG baseball cap, or the TUG t-shirt), please follow the protocol...

secrethandshakediagram.jpg

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Exactly How Does That Go ?

Got any video on that ?

I'm not quite getting it from just the diagram.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is another often asked question:

I won an auction for a timeshare I want to own and the price was good. I just need to know now the process to make sure I get what I think I'm getting. I asked for a copy of the deed and the salesman said he would have the closing company get it and email it to me. That was 24 hours ago and I have heard nothing. Also I plan to pay through paypal with a credit card. Is this the safest way to pay? And what should I make sure that I have before I pay.
Thanks for you help.

The key to not getting ripped off when buying a TS off the internet is to use a good closing company which has a legit escrow service. The closing company will transfer the deed and only transfer the money from escrow when the timeshare transfer is complete.

Do not pay the seller directly!!

I would call owner services at the resort and make sure all the details listed in the auction are correct.ex.. name of owner is correct and owns the week, size of room, are m/f's up to date, week you were bidding on was correct etc.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
There Are So Many Questions!

I could write questions all day for this topic. Here are my first few:

The salesperson told me that my purchase would be a good investment. Is that true?

The salesperson told me that the developer would sell my unit at a profit in the future if I wanted to sell. Is that true?

The information the salesperson told me is not consistent with what I am now learning on TUG and by reading the contract I signed. What can I do to get my money back now that the time to rescind has expired?

I feel I am the victim of timeshare fraud. Can the Better Business Bureau or any government agencies help me?

Are there limits on how much the maintenance fees can be increased?

Is the owners association really representing my best interests?

Can the developer change the rules for exchanging whenever it likes?

Can the developer change the rules for reserving weeks (who gets priority) whenever it likes?

What happens if I stop paying on my timeshare contract?

Can the developer change its rewards system in the future and depreciate the value of the points I have earned?

How could I have been so foolish?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Legal Questions Too.

I don't like the way the timeshare exchange company rents out deposited timeshare weeks instead of making all of them available for exchange upgrades. Should I sue ?

I don't like the way the timeshare company makes me pay extra for seasonal upgrades. Should I sue ?

I think the timeshare company should pay 100% of the cost of replacing our defective 10-year-old timeshare roof. Should I sue ?

I don't like the restrictions the timeshare company placed on my ability to rent out reservations I make using their internal points system. Should I sue ?

I don't like the timeshare company's management charges that cause large increases in the maintenance fees I have to pay. Should I sue ?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i havent forgotten, just been a busy last few months =)