• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points last minute valuations

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under RCI points last minute reservations, I have read :

Florida resorts are 7.5K
Branson is 6K

Has anyone else seen any trends on areas and point values for last minute reservations?

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a regional thing, and values are either 6500, 7500, or 9000. Just go online and look at the last minute inventory for whatever area you're interested in.

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who don't have a points account ....

Can anyone be more specific on the regional thing?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Instant Exchange Is Mox Nix For Those Who Don't Have Points Accounts.

For those who don't have a points account ....

Can anyone be more specific on the regional thing?
Every time we've done Instant Exchange -- & by now that's plenty of times -- it's been for 7,500 points + exchange fee. Most of those were in Florida. Unit size was immaterial -- 1BR or 3BR mox nix.

I think it's 9,000 points + exchange fee for timeshares in Hawaii & in Europe & possibly some other places, I don't know.

Instant Exchange is for last-minute points reservations at weeks timeshares -- a non-issue for people who don't belong to RCI Points.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan.

I'm done asking about the points, I don't think anyone else wants to share and/or maybe there is no rhyme or reason on point allocation.

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has killed Points

Thanks Alan.

I'm done asking about the points, I don't think anyone else wants to share and/or maybe there is no rhyme or reason on point allocation.

I will be more than happy to share what I think (FWIW) about RCI Points. Several months ago RCI changed their rules about reduced points in the weeks section of RCI points. Before that change, you could get any available week for 6,500- 9,000 points if checkin date was less than 45 days away.

Now RCI says they discount "some, low value" weeks at 30 days for 9,000 points or less in POINTS but only what they think will not rent any other way. In addition, RCI discounts these same weeks for the WEEK owners much earlier than 30 days from checkin and so the week owners have first choice at the discounted weeks long before the POINTS owners first see them. In other words, RCI has totally trashed the points owners and has rendered last minute reduced weeks impossible for points owners to count on getting.

I don't know if this theory is really true, but it is the only way I can explain what has happened since RCI introduced their new Weeks system at the expense of the Points system.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Yes they have pretty much reduced the value of the last minute exchanges but you still see some pretty nice inventory in RCI points that is NOT in weeks. I see more 2 bedrooms in points than in TPU's probably due to the fact that splitting up lockoffs encourages depositing separate units.

I'm glad that I own both sides cause I still get alot of mileage out of my points just not as a last minute gig anymore. I find decent availability for short stays in nice resorts, but for last minute gigs, might as well just do "last calls" for the last minute stuff these days. :rolleyes:

Some things are ridiculous in TPU's yet cheap in points. Don't ask me why but that's the way it is. :shrug: I'm glad I own both.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan.

Somwhere, a long time ago, I read the official rule on Instant Exchange. I can't recall if it was in the RCI T&Cs, on the RCI web site, or here on TUG when Madge was around.

I don't recall the exact wording but it was something like... less than 45 days to check-in, you can reserve any available week for the points required to reserve the smallest unit, in the lowest season, in the region.

I believe the regions were those defined in the drop-down boxes in the RCI web site, but I'm not certain. At any rate, that is where the point values come from. It was the lowest number of points required for a Studio unit, in the lowest season, in the region. It didn't really matter much (to me) whether it was 6500, 7500, or 9000, as they're all quite reasonable. (I think I've also seen weeks for 7000 pts.)

For the most part, the Instant Exchange inventory has evaporated, for reasons already explained. They should really just do away with Weeks vs. Points and just combine the two systems. They're both point systems now anyway.

Last edited:

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chriskre is right. RCI no longer discount all weeks at 45 day mark. This morning, there were massive amount of last minute inventory due to a system glitch. You can's actually get many of the weeks. But I checked out the point requirement and found it quite interesting. For the Outer Banks, some resorts are discounted, some are not. There is also on one resort with a studio week discounted to 7500 points while a 2 bedroom for the same dates was full value at 45500. Of course, I could not put any week on hold.

On the points side, a week is either discount to under 9k or not at all. On the weeks side, discount can be at any scale. Inventory seems different too.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the points side, a week is either discount to under 9k or not at all.

I have never seen a week in Points inventory discounted. That's an interesting nugget.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I have never seen a week in Points inventory discounted. That's an interesting nugget.

But yet it might show up in last call inventory. :rolleyes:

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

sorry I meant weeks search on RCI point side vs. weeks exchange with TPU. Both could be discounted, but in different fashion.