• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

renting points question

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I am interested in renting points and contacted someone through the Marketplace. They accept echecks thru paypal. Is there any procedure I should follow to make sure this is legitimate. I have never done rented points before.

Thank You

Donna

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification?

I am interested in renting points and contacted someone through the Marketplace. They accept echecks thru paypal. Is there any procedure I should follow to make sure this is legitimate. I have never done rented points before.

It would be helpful to know the "flavor" of the points to which you refer (i.e., RCI, Wyndham, DRI, Hyatt?). Among those, my own knowledge is limited to only Wyndham; the others' policies may very well differ.

Since 2009, Wyndham does not allow inter-owner rental of points at all --- Wyndham points alone can now only be rented directly from Wyndham itself. That said, time reserved by a Wyndham owner using their own points is often rented out, but the rental of "stand alone Wyndham points" is very clearly now prohibited.

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
The points are RCI. Thank You

Donna

jbiza

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps do a 3-way call will RCI Points & the other person-they will have to give their points account # & you can know that they have "X" number of points to "transfer" to you or not. The other person can "transfer" the RCI Points from their RCI Points account to your RCI Points account for free & can do it right then on the phone for the points to show in your account. Then, you may be more comfortable it is a legit transaction to move forward...:)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be helpful to more specifically identify the "flavor" of the points to which you refer (i.e., RCI, Wyndham, DRI, Hyatt, etc.?). I'm not knowledgeable about any of them, but I at least know that procedures differ (...and that Wyndham now doesn't allow points rental at all, except directly from Wyndham). :shrug:

You are technically correct that Wyndham doesnt allow an owner to rent their points.

However there is a work around and that is an owner can make a reservation for someone else, and rent that reservation....and we owners (at least those of us that do rentals, refer to that as renting our points. in fact we may quote prices as dollars per point...Like this..."I will make a reservation for you and my fee is $6/1000 points"

As I said you are technically correct , but you dont tell the whole story....and I dont want you scaring off any of my customers.

I think my real message here is to to say: ...I usually discount the advice of anyone that starts like this : "I dont know what Im talking about, but here's my advice"

Apologies to the op for going off topic....Let me bring it back.

I transferred some rci points from my account to someone else here on tug using exactly the process outlined by jbiza...it worked like a charm

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Technically correct" is all I offered or intended...

You are technically correct that Wyndham doesnt allow an owner to rent their points.

However there is a work around and that is an owner can make a reservation for someone else, and rent that reservation....and we owners (at least those of us that do rentals, refer to that as renting our points. in fact we may quote prices as dollars per point...Like this..."I will make a reservation for you and my fee is $6/1000 points"

As I said you are technically correct , but you dont tell the whole story....and I dont want you scaring off any of my customers.

I think my real message here is to to say: ...I usually discount the advice of anyone that starts like this : "I dont know what Im talking about, but here's my advice" <snip>

Don't be snide. I was a Wyndham points owner (owned a converted fixed week) on March 19, 2009 when Wyndham first implemented their policy of "owners can no longer rent out their points to others". That is the policy to which I made clear and specific reference and that policy has remained unchanged ever since. Accordingly, I think "my real message here is to say" that I know exactly what I was talking about when citing that particular policy, while openly stating no familiarity with other individually named points systems.

I'm glad that your "workaround" for your rental business works for you. My presumption in responding to the OP was that the OP was literally seeking to rent (an initially unidentified brand of) points to gain enough additional points to complete their own a reservation on their own. I wouldn't be inclined to change a single word of my entirely accurate reply, despite your unnecessarily snide, inaccurate "evaluation" of my input.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't be snide. I was a Wyndham points owner (via owning a converted fixed week) on March 19, 2009 when Wyndham first implemented their policy of "owners can no longer rent out their points to others". That is the policy to which I made clear and specific reference and that policy has remained unchanged ever since. Accordingly, I think my real message is to state that I know exactly what I was talking about when citing that particular policy, while openly admitting no familiarity with other clearly named points systems.

I'm glad that your "workaround" for your rental business workd for you. My own presumption in responding to the OP was that the OP was literally seeking to rent (initially unidentified brand of) points to gain enough additional points to complete their own a reservation on their own. I wouldn't change a word of that reply, despite your unnecessarily snide (and inaccurate) evaluation of my input.

as accurate as your statement is, its not complete, and is therefore misleading...I will still continue to ignore advice that starts off saying, "I dont know what Im talking about but..."

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One LAST time...

as accurate as your statement is, its not complete, and is therefore misleading...I will still continue to ignore advice that starts off saying, "I dont know what Im talking about but..."

So as not to be mistakenly perceived as being less than fully knowledgeable on the topic from my own multi-year, first hand Wyndham ownership experience or somehow be perceived as some sort of indirect threat to your precious Timeshare rental business, I should perhaps have instead said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"On March 19, 2009, Wyndham implemented a policy change prohibiting Wyndham owners from renting Wyndham points directly from other Wyndham owners in order to complete an intended reservation.
After that date, any and all such point rentals necessary for a Wyndham owner to complete their intended reservation must be conducted directly with Wyndham at Wyndham's prescribed rate.

I am unfamiliar (as very clearly stated originally) with the points rental policies of RCI, Hyatt, or DRI.
"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would that phrasing, saying the same thing, have made you any less unnecessarily petty and snide? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... On March 19, 2009, Wyndham implemented a policy change prohibiting Wyndham owners from renting Wyndham points directly from other Wyndham owners in order to complete an intended reservation. After that date, any and all such point rentals necessary for a Wyndham owner to complete their intended reservation must be conducted directly with Wyndham at Wyndham's prescribed rate ...

Just an observation, from what is quoted above, there is nothing stopping me from renting a million points to Ron for $25 dollars per thousand points as long as he does not co-mingle the points with a reservation he already started, except maybe Ron who probably would not rent them from me at that price. Maybe Ride would be interested.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an observation, from what is quoted above, there is nothing stopping me from renting a million points to Ron for $25 dollars per thousand points as long as he does not co-mingle the points with a reservation he already started, except maybe Ron who probably would not rent them from me at that price. Maybe Ride would be interested.

I'm not at all sure about that particular interpretation / scenario (...got that "not sure" part o.k. Ron? :rolleyes: ). The words in blue above are my own from memory and personal experience alone and were not "borrowed" or quoted in any way from any "official" Wyndham source or reference.

In order to get those hypothetical million Wyndham points to use (loaned or rented temporarily, as opposed to buying the entire ownership outright --- ya got that distinction too o.k., Ron?) from another Wyndham owner, which is a situation very clearly and distinctly different from just getting loan / rent of a week reserved by an actual owner of the Points (...ya got that clear distinction too o.k., Ron?), wouldn't Wyndham first have to somehow "acknowledge and recognize" (...then prohibit) any such temporary transfer of Points (...not talking about renting out a points-reserved week, Ron) from one owner to another?

I dunno. As a happy, now former Wyndham owner, I also don't care. Clearly, Ron does. Ride might too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I'm not at all sure about that particular interpretation / scenario (...got that "not sure" part o.k. Ron? :rolleyes: ). The words in blue above are my own from memory and experience and were not "borrowed" in any way from any "official" Wyndham source or reference.

In order to get those hypothetical million Wyndham points to use (loaned or rented temporarily, as opposed to buying the entire ownership outright --- ya got that distinction too o.k., Ron?) from another Wyndham owner, which is a situation very clearly and distinctly different from just getting loan / rent of a week reserved by an actual owner of the Points (...ya got that clear distinction too o.k., Ron?), wouldn't Wyndham first have to somehow "acknowledge and recognize" (...and then likely just prohibit) any such temporary transfer of Points (...not talking about rental of a reserved week Ron) from one owner to another?

I dunno. As a happy, now former Wyndham owner, I also don't care. Clearly, Ron does. Ride might too... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification, one minor clarification, not a hypothetical million Wyndham Points, if Ron or Ride want me to rent them to them at the $25 dollars per thousand points, no problem, cash on the barrel head works, they get to deal with the guest pass fees.

P.S.: In my experience, Wyndham does honor limited power of Attorneys. They just want the guest pass fees for the non-owners of record.

In reviewing the members directory, I do not see anything that in on point. The closest I see is that points cannot be used for commerical purposes. This is probably there to be in compliance with zoning requirements. These are timeshare units not commerical enterprises. There are no limitations that I saw that limits the ability to use the points to get reservations, use a guest pass, and rent to who they want. Heck, Wyndham will do this for you through their rental arm. They take 40 percent or thereabouts.

I do not think a roving Timeshare Rental Company could get away with having Office Hours in their temporary office of a residental timeshare unit that was rented from the Wyndham rental group or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Memory Lane is a bit foggy today...

<snip> In reviewing the members directory, I do not see anything there on point. The closest I see is that points cannot be used for commerical purposes. <snip>

It certainly seems that some people do use their Wyndham points almost solely for commercial purposes, but that's not any of my business, concern or interest...

I specifically recall that at the time of Wyndham's "points rental now prohibited among points owners" policy change back in 2009, there was much discussion (and hand wringing) over in TUG's Wyndham forum.
There may very well have been some verbatim quotes taken directly from Wyndham source materials over there at the time (...if so, it all still resides over there). I can't clearly recall just off the top of my head.

Wyndham's "no more inter-owner points rental" policy of 2009 was of no relevance or interest to me, since I only used what I owned and actually only used the underlying deeded fixed week in my ownership anyhow.
I didn't care about the 182k Club Wyndham points, associated and available as a result of a prior owner's "conversion" of a prime deeded fixed week. Ironically, when I gave the week away (here on TUG) the following year, the recipient didn't much care about the prime underlying deeded fixed "Snowbird" week --- she was apparently only interested in the associated annual 182k points. To each their own, I guess. :shrug:

Last edited:

mrpickle

TUG Member
Reaction score
HiJack

:ignore: Wow This is a prime example of a HiJacked thread!:ignore:
Post 3 clearly states RCI points!
Wyndham has nothing to do with RCI points.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I see your badge, officer?

This is a prime example of a HiJacked thread!

That's your personal opinion and you are certainly entitled to express it. Got anything to offer on the topic?
The OP inquiry specifically asked about renting (initially unspecified) points. The question got answered.
The thread then continued to discuss that very same topic of renting points, albeit not RCI points.
Don't like the thread? Just ignore it --- or instead perhaps contribute some topical input of your own. :ignore:

Nice photo / post of the grandsons 'tho, even if entirely unrelated to the thread topic of renting points. ;)

Last edited:

mrpickle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I will weigh in!

A few months ago I rented RCI points @ a penny a point from the Marketplace, here on TUG and the $100 was paid through Paypal and the 10,000 points were delivered to my account with out any problems! I believe I got them from Karen! If I need more I will definitely email her again!

Thanks TUG members!

Last edited: