• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone else affected by derecho 2012?

csaohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living in SE Ohio we were slammed by the storm on Friday evening they are calling a Derecho with 70-80 mph winds! 1/2 million of us in Ohio are without power and will be for the next 5-7 days! Grateful that we are all safe but trying to deal with day to day survival is a bit of a challenge living in a very rural area.

Just curious to see if there are any other Tuggers in the same boat??

:ponder:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We are also without power and there are baking hot temps- many highs are being established. We have no idea when our power will be back on- hope it is soon. Where did this Derecho name come from? Haven't heard that. Almost 48 hours without power so far- we plan to get a generator once this is over.

tlwmkw

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Derecho was also a weather term I was not familiar with, so off a-searching I went. Here is what I found if you care to click on it: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/deadly-super-derecho-strikes-m/67383

I can understand the desire to have a gen-set on hand. We have a 2000 watt Honda. Very quiet, and with enough power to keep a fridge/freezer and a few lights going. It won't run an A/C however. We got it ostensibly for our RV camping excursions, but there is a certain peace of mind to be had if the power so much as blinks. Easy to justify for no other reason than a fridge/freezer full of food.

Best wishes for all you folks suffering in the heat with, or especially without power.

Jim

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in NW Ohio and the damage started about 45 miles south of me around Findlay.

We have a generator, bought for Y2K because my husband thought Toledo Edison would have problems. We've lived here 18 yrs and our longest power outages(6-8hrs) have happened on nice sunny days. :annoyed:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are in SW Ohio. We have power, but many around us do not and some don't expect to get if for at least a week.

We drove home from work on Friday night when the big storm came roaring through. We were passing through Xenia Ohio this evening when another one like the one from Friday was moving through.

csaohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Round 2 hitting now

2nd round of storms are hitting.

They're bad but not as bad as Friday! Word has it that Alabama power has sent help to restore service. The generator my DH bought 2nd hand last year has come in quite handy! We can run the fridge, freezer, laptop and TV. We're storing food for my Mom and Sis, they are letting us shower at their place (our lift unit for the septic got zapped). Here in the country we're pretty used to helping each other out.

This next week will be interesting as I figure out how to run my business without power!
:doh:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Thanks for info about the Derecho. That was new to me. Weather is certainly more extreme now than when I was younger. Still no power and it is very hot.

Struggling to use an iPhone to do tug. No cable, phone line , or power. What misery.

We heard some areas are having gas shortages because everyone is hoarding gas for generators. Not here so far.

Good luck to all who don't have power and pray it comes on again soon.

tlwmkw

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Ohio got the first fury of that storm. Then it rammed into the mountains and jerked past them into Maryland. It was angry when it got here and smacked us up pretty good before it slithered out to sea.

We are most grateful not to have lost power, but the people across the highway have been without since Friday night. Our daughter's family lives 25 miles away and they got the power back late last night.

One of the wind blasts hit the trees behind our house and crashed one into two others to make a big mess we have to clean up. DH lost one of his Ham antennas to a tree. We are just really grateful nothing crashed into our house. It was really strange damage we saw on our look around. Trees had their trunks or branches snapped here, but it would just be one here and one there...not a path of destruction like in a tornado. I could hear the storm through the window here in my office. It sounded like a motor running outside the house and I could see the rain going in sheets. Then I checked the back yard and saw the trees down.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry y'all are having to go thru this. Our state up east got it worse than us. I really need the rain but not like this. Hugs to you all, Shaggy

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were hit pretty hard in Maryland. We were fortunate that we only lost power for 16 hours. It may take up to a week for thousands of people to get their power back. Power lines and trees are down everywhere. There is a gas shortage in my area as well.

The storm delayed our Hilton Head trip by one day.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
My son and his family live just outside Dayton. They were without power for several hours. They also spent a lot of time in the basement because of tornados in the area.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Live & Learn.

Anyone else affected by derecho 2012?
Derecho ?

Shux, I thought it was El Drencho.

Who knew ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
We also felt the winds fury in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Only 10 % chance of rain had been forecasted so we were caught completely off guard. We lost power immediately but our neighborhood regained power midday Sunday. Others are still without. The temperature has been in the high 90’s almost everyday and forecasted the same for many days to come. My property was spared damage but driving through nearby towns large trees were snapped and uprooted. We saw a few chimneys and trees that had toppled through rooftops leaving gapping holes. Praying that everyone gets relief soon from the ongoing heat and humidity.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Derecho ?

Shux, I thought it was El Drencho.

Who knew ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

We didn't have much of an El Drencho, it only rained for about 20 minutes. We need more rain though, much more. We would welcome an El Drencho.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Maryland

We have been without electricity since the storm. Did not appreciate air conditioning until it was not there. Sunday the temps hit 107 on my back porch. Hopefully today it will return.

Donna

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Power, cable and internet are all back on!!!! Whoo hoo!!!! :cheer: Not having to use the wifi at Starbucks anymore.

God bless all the workers who got it fixed- only problem is that there is a grey sky now and it looks like another storm coming. :eek:

We had no rain during the big storm on Friday but 70 - 80 mph winds- sounded like a train was running through our neighborhood. Very scary. Was watching for the wicked witch of the west and some flying cows.

Hope others are recovering too.

tlwmkw

blakebr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maryland's Baltimore Gas & Electric had over 600,000 customers out at he peek. They are down to 143,000 today. This storm kicked butt from Wisconsin to the Atlantic ocean. Hurricanes don't impact this many people. An amazing storm. We did not loose power. There are extension cords running across streets and from house to house all over the area.

geekette

Reaction score
What's bugging me is that I cannot get a tree service to return my call!!!

I have a tree broken from its base, about 5-6' up, leaning against another tree. Luckily, the Support Tree is larger than the other, but not by much. It's only a matter of time before physics runs its course and I would prefer to not risk that!!

When the winds started Sunday night, I went and watched to see if there was movement since it's beside my bedroom. No movement, winds not picking up, ok...

In theory, the trees would fall towards the street, but they would most likely impact another large tree with limbs over my house and neighbor's driveway. High winds could cause anything to happen and I'm not keen on worst case outcome.

this is 2 days now of calling calling calling... I understand that there is plenty of work for them right now, but enough to stop returning calls?? I'll take an appointment a week from now if that's best I can do, but NOBODY wants the job??? Messages I've left have been clear about "if you just drop the tree, that's good enough" since they are clearly low on time.

oh well. will find a new crop of companies Thursday morning...

csaohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still powerless!

Grateful for the generator to keep the freezer going and the wifi on here at home. We live in a count of about 15,000 homes, 10,000+ lost power. That number has now dropped to 7,000+ thanks to help from Alabama Power! Unfortunately the restoration has not yet affected us due to our location. The power truck showed up today and the worker told my sis: 'we didn't even know this town was here!'...lol!

They said by Sunday, July 8th we should have power. Hopefully it will be sooner! The high 90 temps are a little stifling but we are coping!:eek:

cmh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in Central OH, Columbus area. Our power was out from Friday until Monday night. And it seemed like a week! Fortunately, we had a small generator that kept our frig and and a few other essentials going. Boy, I missed that AC!

Rumpled

Reaction score
Never heard that term either - but in Spanish derecho means right, as in opposite of left.

I'll stick to earthquakes myself.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never heard that term either - but in Spanish derecho means right, as in opposite of left.

I'll stick to earthquakes myself.

LOL, yesterday my boss told me in Spanish it means straight path or straight line. And I think he has a Spanish heritage, but who knows how many interpretations there could be.
At any rate, new word for me, too!