• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gen question about Royal

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why there are so many Royal's for sale in classified.

One question is whether this is more than usual. There are lots of Royals owners.

Another could be that the end of the Royal Mayan's 30 year trust is up soon. People who are insecure about getting money when the resort is sold may want to lock in a sure thing now, and others can pick them up cheap now and maybe do better in a few years when the resort is sold.

Otherwise, I don't know.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Another guess may be the absence of the Mexicondo site. Or maybe falling prices and rising fees.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been updated since Spring of 08. The site owner had medical issues and was hoping to get back to it......

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another reason could be the economy and the cost of airfare to Cancun. The Royals are great resorts. We have been to both Royal Islander and Royal Mayan and I would consider these some of our best exchanges.

pgrrider

Reaction score
I did some calculations to see if there are actually that many villas for sale at the RR....!!

With all 6 resorts owned by the Royal Resorts....there are over 57,000 total weeks........!!! AND..if there are even 2,000 weeks for sale by present owners...the percentage is still only about 2%....... NOT MANY!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did some calculations to see if there are actually that many villas for sale at the RR....!!

With all 6 resorts owned by the Royal Resorts....there are over 57,000 total weeks........!!! AND..if there are even 2,000 weeks for sale by present owners...the percentage is still only about 2%....... NOT MANY!

No, not at all!
Did you count how many are actually advertised for sale on TUG? Then there's OMcancun.com - they'll probably have the most ads.

I'll bet the total is well under 2,000.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
The prices posted, for a huge majority of them, are unreasonable anyway. I wonder if those posting the adds are just hoping for some sucker to bite and not really interested in selling. Those inflated prices are well over the residual value of the units.

$10,000 for the Royal Mayan, with 4 years left? Yes, it's week 52, but plueese!

jschmidt

Reaction score
There are three reasons there are over 2,000 Royal Resort weeks for sale.

The reasons are:

1. High Cancun Prices
2. High Cancun Prices
3. High Cancun Prices

Many of the original buyers most likely bought so they could enjoy a low price vacation in Mexico. You name it; the current Cancun prices equal or exceed U.S. prices. :mad:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are three reasons there are over 2,000 Royal Resort weeks for sale.

The reasons are:

1. High Cancun Prices
2. High Cancun Prices
3. High Cancun Prices

Many of the original buyers most likely bought so they could enjoy a low price vacation in Mexico. You name it; the current Cancun prices equal or exceed U.S. prices. :mad:

Where? We spend less there than we do at home.

jschmidt

Reaction score
Where? We spend less there than we do at home.

Royal Resorts:

1. Breakfast Buffet: $15.00 p/p plus tip.
2. Massage: $100.00 plus tip for sixty minutes
3. Maintenance Fee: $900.00 per week ($128.57 per day)

The Breakfast is being made with products of Mexico and with Mexican labor and sold at a high American price. What’s the profit margin? :wall:

The Massages are being done by Mexican labor and sold at a high American price. :wall:

The cost of the Maintenance Fee is based on Mexican labor and materials and is being charged at American prices. :wall:

The automobile manufactures discovered this years ago. :D

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. The MF is particularly troubling. We abandoned the buffet years ago as the price kept going up.

However, there are still good prices, most notably the Palapa and Express.

jschmidt

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Royal Resorts grocery stores. The prices are anywhere from 60% to over 100% of what the same item can be bought at Wal-Mart.

Example: Potato chips at the Royal Resorts grocery were $76 M.P. ($6.03 U.S.D. at 12.6 M.P. per U.S.D.) and unfortunately we forgot how much we paid at Wal-Mart, but I know it was substantially less.

Maybe the Royal Resorts could get Wal-Mart to take over the operation of their grocery stores similar to Hertz taking over the car rentals. :D

I also found out that at the tri-Royals I could walk across the street to the bank and get a slightly better exchange rate. If you’re exchanging $100 or $200 U.S.D of pesos it may be worth the walk. :)

pgrrider

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Royal Resorts grocery stores. The prices are anywhere from 60% to over 100% of what the same item can be bought at Wal-Mart.

Example: Potato chips at the Royal Resorts grocery were $76 M.P. ($6.03 U.S.D. at 12.6 M.P. per U.S.D.) and unfortunately we forgot how much we paid at Wal-Mart, but I know it was substantially less.

Maybe the Royal Resorts could get Wal-Mart to take over the operation of their grocery stores similar to Hertz taking over the car rentals. :D

I also found out that at the tri-Royals I could walk across the street to the bank and get a slightly better exchange rate. If you’re exchanging $100 or $200 U.S.D of pesos it may be worth the walk. :)

WHEN IN MEXICO.....BUY PRODUCTS "HECHO EN MXICO"....!!!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

Last summer we did a big WalMart trip the first day. Later we checked prices at the Royal Resorts' mini markets, and did find most of them higher, as you say. A few were about the same or even less - don't remember which. Overall, we felt that the extra $30 for the airport van taking us to Walmart, extra tip, and extra time wasn't worth it. Using the bus would have been cheaper, but would have taken a half-day out of the pool time. Of course it also depends on the amount of groceries, Cervesa, etc!

Bottom line, you're right, the prices HAVE gone up.

And definitely, go for the hecho en Mexico products - it makes a huge difference.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last summer we did a big WalMart trip the first day. Later we checked prices at the Royal Resorts' mini markets, and did find most of them higher, as you say. A few were about the same or even less - don't remember which. Overall, we felt that the extra $30 for the airport van taking us to Walmart, extra tip, and extra time wasn't worth it. Using the bus would have been cheaper, but would have taken a half-day out of the pool time. Of course it also depends on the amount of groceries, Cervesa, etc!

Bottom line, you're right, the prices HAVE gone up.

And definitely, go for the hecho en Mexico products - it makes a huge difference.

I could not agree more PJROSE. My wife and I found out long ago that if we were there for only one week the extra time that it took to go on a big shopping trip just took away time from our trip. What you say about the extra charges are also correct. We often dine in house instead of going out. When we stay at Playa at The Haciendas it is always a cab ride back home for 10.00, because the shuttles stop after 6:00. Add that to your "savings" on dinner and you've spent the same amount. I understand for really large groups it may be different but for the two of us it just doesn't make sense. And if I'm not mistaken all my trips to Disney, Universal Studios, heck name any theme park you always get overcharged on many things. I guess I know I'm on vacation and expect that to a certain degree. Just resding posts here and in the royalresortowners.ning.com I understand alot of people are becoming upset because things are a little tougher right now, but everything is cyclical and good times will come again. I think the loudest complainers should have maybe given their purchase more consideration before jumping in.Anyway I am still happy to be a Royal owner. My travels to many other resorts let me know my units are in the top of the line and get me trades to anywhere I've requested thus far. Counting down to weeks 8-9.

jschmidt

Reaction score
We spend time in town going to restaurants and shopping. Our last stop before catching the bus back to the Royal Resorts is Wal-Mart or Chedraui for groceries. It may take up to half an hour to get the supplies we need except on Sunday when most of the local folks are shopping on their day off.

JEFF H

Reaction score
The savings going downtown to buy grocery Items at Wal-Mart or Chedraui is substantial.
Take the city Bus down and a Taxi back.
The Bus down Takes about 45 mins and a Taxi back is about 25 mins
It cost us less than $20 total for 4 people to make the grocery run this way last year And total time taken was under 3 hour.
The savings were well worth the time & cost without a doubt.

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supermarket

And the fruit and yogurt selection at the super market is worth the trip alone..

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like its best to wait until Monday to do our shopping and the idea of going into town and hit the groceries on the way back seems best. Which is better for variety and prices Wal-Mart or Chedraui ?

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the fruit and yogurt selection at the super market is worth the trip alone..

WalMart's bakery is awesome, and the prices unbelievably low. We always get bread and pastries when we go.

The fruit is great too, but for yogurt, I only found two that were lower-cal. Lots of interesting flavors, though!