• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points...All or None for Lockoffs?

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have an RCI Points week that is a Lockoff....let's call it a 4 Br. worth 100k points.

2 Brs at the same resort (same bathrooms) are valued by RCI at 50k points (for the same week...i.e. your week is the sum of both parts of the lockoff).

Can you let RCI use A side and get 50k points and use the B Side yourself (or rent it to pay the MF)?

In other words....are RCI points All or None for a deeded week?

Thanks!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on your RCI Points account for HOME WEEK. It will show whether you can deposit one and reserve one.

My RCI Points week which is a lockoff shows the individual 2 sides. I can reserve one, both or neither.

But it might depend on how the resort originally was set up on RCI, RCI Points, etc.

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on your RCI Points account for HOME WEEK. It will show whether you can deposit one and reserve one.

My RCI Points week which is a lockoff shows the individual 2 sides. I can reserve one, both or neither.

But it might depend on how the resort originally was set up on RCI, RCI Points, etc.

Don't have the points account yet (waiting on closing to finish for the week)...but I was just looking around and saw the various Lock-Off/RCI points places listed and wondered.

Thanks!

AFARR

Bill4728

Reaction score
Generally, You'd give them the whole unit and get the 100 K pts, then during the home resort reservation period reserve the unit size you want to use.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Following up on Bill's message, the number of points you receive is the same as the total for the two individual units. So you do not lose out by depositing the entire unit.

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Following up on Bill's message, the number of points you receive is the same as the total for the two individual units. So you do not lose out by depositing the entire unit.

Wasn't so much lose out as Rent the Prime week 2 Br (watching the weeks and what people are asking) for about 1-1.5x the MF for the whole unit...and use the points from the B side.

AFARR

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't so much lose out as Rent the Prime week 2 Br (watching the weeks and what people are asking) for about 1-1.5x the MF for the whole unit...and use the points from the B side.

AFARR
I own a lockoff that's in RCI Points, and I can deposit just one side if I want, and keep the other side for myself.

On the other hand, renting a week that's been converted to RCI Points is not so easy. As far as the resort knows, your week is committed to RCI, even if you book it during your home week reservation period. Therefore, your renter is going to have to trust you, since the resort will not be able to confirm that they have the week.

Also, you may need to buy an RCI guest certificate in order for the renter to check in. Yes, for your own week!

JamminJoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway, Week 52, RCI Points
Grandview at Las Vegas, Week 11
I also own a 2-bedroom lock-off which I converted to RCI Points. As Judy mentioned, each year I can reserve Side "A" or "B" and the balance of the side I do not use goes into my Points account. Side "A" is a full 1-bedroom, Side "B" is a studio so the points are not 5o/50 of the toal allocated for the unit, the studio side would give me fewer points if banked than the full 1-bedroom side.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can deposit just one side if I want, and keep the other side for myself.
Actually the way it works is that unless you reserve the whole (or part) of your unit within the prescribed period--12-13 months in advance of the check-in date--RCI automatically deposits the points into your RCI Points account and you no longer have the the right to use your unit for that year. The exact dates for notifying RCI that you want to use your unit will be specified in the "My Account" section of the RCI Points website.

The reservation can be completed on-line or by phone. It's a simple process. But you must pay close attention to the deadlines. You have the same options for each part of the lock-off. So yes you can use part of your unit and rent out the other part, or receive RCI Points for the unused part, which RCI may then use to place an exchange guest or their renter, etc...

As noted above, you are supposed to purchase a guest certificate in your renter's name if you are renting out part or all of your own unit.

If you reserve the use of your unit or units during the 12-13 month window and later change your mind, you can call RCI and inform them that you want to release the unit and receive the Points instead. There is no dollar cost for doing this. However you may or may not receive the full Point value depending upon how close to the check-in date you call to cancel your reservation.

If you make the call more than 120 days before the check-in date, you receive the full 100% Point value of the part of the unit you are releasing.

If you call between 61 and 120 days prior to the check in date, you receive only 75% of the Points.

Between 31-60 days you receive 50% of the Points

If it is within 30 days of the check in date, you recive only 25% of the Points.

NOTE: Please call RCI 877-968-7476 to double-check this info, as they are notorious for changing the rules w/o notifying members directly.

I generally reserve the use of our 3 lock-off units 12-13 months in advance "just in case" and then release some of them if I find another week (or nights) during on-line searches that I would rather have instead.

If you are trying to rent part or all of your unit to a stranger, the resort should cooperate in verifying that you own it and that you have the right to obtain a guest certificate in the renter's name.

Keep in mind that many resorts charge a nuisance "housekeeping fee" to non-owners. It is usually between $20. to $50. per week. The resort may also charge the renter for use of electricity, an in-room safe, Internet access, and/or other fees that owners may or may not pay. You need to clarify what the fees are, if any, and work out with your renter who will be responsible for paying them.

Last edited: