• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX trading power and HGVC weeks ?

mz3bo

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some clarification about booking with SFX. I understand that I need to deposit a week and pay for guess certificate from HGVC. However, when doing such thing, do I get better chances of having something better and a better time when I deposit a Plat week 1bdr instead of depositing a silver studio ?

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They may not even accept a Silver Studio - you should call them and see what deposits they are looking for.

mz3bo

Reaction score
Thanks for the super fast reponses :)

I was giving this as an example. I wanted to know if there was a trading power story when going SFX way or is all resort of HGV family treated the same way. In an other example, would I get more chance to get something better at a better period with SFX if I deposit a Plat 1bd Lagoong tower rather than depositing a Plat 1bd in Seaworld ? (guessing that Seaworld is less ''popular'' than HI)

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Absolutely - deposits have trading power based on the resort, season, location, demand, unit size.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to only deposit a Prime deposit on the grid. https://www.sfx-resorts.com/season_grid.aspx

For HGVC, Hawaii will give you more power than Orlando or Las Vegas on a regular week, but holiday weeks might be equal. To the best of my knowledge, they won't take a studio for a deposit unless it is NYC, but maybe they will accept one for HHV.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can call and ask them. They are happy to help and every person I've contacted at SFX is lovely to work with. Generally they won't accept studios, but there are always exceptions.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Some people say you should only book where you own for depositing.

I deposit 1BR Hawaii gold weeks (3400 pts) and get good trades, plus 2 bonus weeks. I've traded for a 2br at Coronado Beach resort, 2br at Sedona Springs, and just picked up 2br at Carlsbad - Palisades.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people say you should only book where you own for depositing.

That is the most economical way to do it. When you book something else, you pay a reservation fee. Then you have to buy a guest certificate and pay an exchange fee on top of that.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
do they take LV gold 2bd and how exactly do you do this?

The best thing to do is call them and ask.

They know what inventory moves and what doesn't.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is the most economical way to do it. When you book something else, you pay a reservation fee. Then you have to buy a guest certificate and pay an exchange fee on top of that.

When I book a week for deposit with SFX, I book the week I want, and then fill out a form with SFX. They then confirm the week with the resort. I've never needed to pay a reservation fee or a guest certificate fee. All I pay is the exchange fee with SFX. Of course, different resort families may have different rules, but I've deposited from 4 different resort families with SFX without any problem.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When I book a week for deposit with SFX, I book the week I want, and then fill out a form with SFX. They then confirm the week with the resort. I've never needed to pay a reservation fee or a guest certificate fee. All I pay is the exchange fee with SFX. Of course, different resort families may have different rules, but I've deposited from 4 different resort families with SFX without any problem.
If you book your HGVC home week, then there is no HGVC reservation fee and no need to get a guest certificate for SFX to use.

However, if you book a week other than your home week (via a Club Season reservation), you incur the HGVC reservation fee when you book the week. If you deposit that week to SFX, SFX will require you to get a guest certificate (another HGVC fee) when your deposited week is exchanged to another SFX member. This didn't used to be the case, but it has changed in the last few years.

Kurt

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is some economy to booking Home Season, if you own a small point week like the 3400 point gold.

If you own a 7000 point week, you can book two 3400 point gold weeks, deposit both, and end up with two exchange weeks and four bonus weeks.

All the Hawaii deposits on the grid qualify as Prime so there is no extra benefit of depositing a 7000 point week as far as I can see.

Interesting, I just got the e-mail from SFX to supply a guest cert. When I gave HGVC the name of the guest, it came up in their system, no need to supply address and the new confirmation shows their HGVC member number. HGVC owners are using SFX to exchange into HGVC Hawaii.