• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

own Hilton but thinking more from resale

cpepdan

Reaction score
We currently own 5800 Gold from Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Tuscany Village
and am beginning to explore purchasing more BUT AT RESALE.

With us having Gold already should we consider getting another that is Gold or once combined are points points?

Thanks for any advice.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently own 5800 Gold from Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Tuscany Village
and am beginning to explore purchasing more BUT AT RESALE.

With us having Gold already should we consider getting another that is Gold or once combined are points points?

Thanks for any advice.

I don't claim to know a single thing about HGVC, but I would point out that there is a Hilton / HGVC-specific forum here on TUG.
You would likely directly reach more Hilton-knowedgeable players with your Hilton-specific question over there, rather than here. Just sayin'.

Maybe a moderator will actually move your post over to the Hilton / HGVC forum anyhow. :shrug:

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are points. Whether your next purchase is Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, they will all be in the same bucket every year.

I am a fan of Gold because the buy in, even in resale, is much less than Platinum. Most people here will tell you to only buy Platinum because you get more points for your MFs than you do with Gold, but you need to do the math over the span of 10 - 20 years of ownership to see where the break even point is. For me it wasn't worth paying much more upfront knowing that I might be dead or not want timeshares anymore by the time my break even point hit.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am in a similar situation, i own a gold week for 5000 points at the LV Strip, but plan to add a second week in 2015 or 2016.

As Presely said points are points, so I don't think it really matters if you buy Silver, Gold or Platinum.. it comes down to the cost per point and meeting your needs.

For me, the main question is how many points do i want, both now and in the future. How much time do you want to spend on a timeshare vacation every year, and are tied to certain times of year, such as the school schedule..

I hope to retire in 10 or 15 years, and would like to travel 5 to 8 weeks a year, with about half that in Timeshares, So for the question becomes do I buy a larger platinum week earlier to get the best point to MF value, or buy gold or less expensive weeks over time to build up the points over time.

How many points you think you ultimately want each year or where you plan to travel?

cpepdan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Yes, cost is a factor. Not fully sure what I am looking for. Just researching at this point. Have a 14 yo and a 16yo and it's nice to get 3br where they can bring friends but then it limits us to 1 vacations year. We live in Virginia and have to fly to every location except Myrtle Beach so that is a factor as well.
Am doing research on RCI traders but the quality is so low compared to Hilton.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted in other threads on this subject, the "color" of the points have no real meaning. A point is a point is a point.

HOWEVER, the color refers to the season of the underlying unit those points are tied to. For example, a Platinum season 1 bdrm is worth more points than and Gold or Silver season one bedroom.

Here are the HGVC point values for a straight one bedroom unit per season.

Platinum = 4800
Gold = 3400
Silver = 2400
Bronze = 1700

Where this really matters for all purchasers (deveolper or resale) is that maintenance fees are tied to the unit size you own, not the season or # of points that unit generates.

Using a real life example, I paid $640.25 for our maintenance fees this past year on a 1 Bdrm at the LV Convention Center (Karen Ave.) property. That amount is the same for all season owners of 1 bdrm units at this property.

So if you break down the cost of your points by season, you quickly realize that it's quite a bit more expensive per point to own a lower point season.

Thus:

Platinum = 4800 (13.3 cents/point)
Gold = 3400 (19 cents/point)
Silver = 2400 (26.7 cents/point)
Bronze = 1700 (37.8 cents/point)

This in addition to whatever you paid for the dead in the purchase price.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am doing research on RCI traders but the quality is so low compared to Hilton.

If you are considering doing regular vacations that are not HGVC, I would look at buying into another system. The fees for Hilton are so much higher than most of the other systems and if you are going to trade your Hilton points on a regular basis for a lower quality resort in RCI, you can save a significant amount of money over a few years.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
If you are considering doing regular vacations that are not HGVC, I would look at buying into another system. The fees for Hilton are so much higher than most of the other systems and if you are going to trade your Hilton points on a regular basis for a lower quality resort in RCI, you can save a significant amount of money over a few years.

Oh, Oh, your in trouble now :eek: :hysterical:

Check out the Grandview in Las Vegas, as a good RCI trader, RCI Points not weeks. Very low buy-in, at least it was, and very low MF's.

Save the HGVC for HGVC trades. Use the GV for trading into HGVC and for all other RCI trades. You will have to purchase your own RCI account, but it works for me :D

Check this out, 80K points like I have, although you can get more points for more $$:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-000-RCI-...41354703322?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20e96599da

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out the Grandview in Las Vegas, as a good RCI trader, RCI Points not weeks. Very low buy-in, at least it was, and very low MF's.

Save the HGVC for HGVC trades. Use the GV for trading into HGVC and for all other RCI trades. You will have to purchase your own RCI account, but it works for me :D

Since I am currently downsizing my timeshares, I know I shouldn't be asking..... but, I want to know....
How many RCI points does it normally cost to trade into a week at Elara or HHV in a one bedroom? I see that contract in your link is for $80K points. Just wondering if that is enough for a week in Hilton.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Here is a list of RCI points

https://www.rci.com/CDA/Common/pdf/2013_NA_Points_Grids.pdf

And yes, I agree use HGVC to go to HGVC resorts and not trade into RCI with them.

First: I hadn't seen that chart before today.

Second: The first thing that I noticed looking at the chart is that the points required to stay in a 1 or 2 Bdrm for a week seemed high. I don't know if these are the max points that they can charge for an exchange?

Third: The list is not all inclusive, there are a lot of TS's missing, specifically many of the HGVC's. I wanted to check the chart for HGVC Eagles Nest in Marco Island, FL, where we stayed, but all of Marco Island was missing, even non-HGVC. I wanted to check the chart & compare the points to what we used for the HGVC Bay Club, HHV Lagoon Tower, & HHV Kaila Tower in Hawaii, but they were missing off the chart. I didn't notice all of the HGVC's in Las Vegas.

Fourth: I have a confirmed RCI exchange for the Jockey Club, here in Las Vegas, for week 52 over New Years. The chart shows 71 points, but I'm only using 60 RCI Points.

Fifth: The points required for the Manhattan Club seem high.

At least the chart may give you a ruff idea (max) of how many points you may need, if the TS your interested in is on the chart.

drbrandt

Reaction score
. . . Using a real life example, I paid $640.25 for our maintenance fees this past year on a 1 Bdrm at the LV Convention Center (Karen Ave.) property. That amount is the same for all season owners of 1 bdrm units at this property.

So if you break down the cost of your points by season, you quickly realize that it's quite a bit more expensive per point to own a lower point season.

Thus:

Platinum = 4800 (13.3 cents/point)
Gold = 3400 (19 cents/point)
Silver = 2400 (26.7 cents/point)
Bronze = 1700 (37.8 cents/point)

This in addition to whatever you paid for the dead in the purchase price.

Well stated UWSurfer. And when you realize that 45 cents/point is about the most value you can get out of your HGVC point, silver and bronze lose their appeal. Furthermore, 13.3 cents/HGVC point translates to 0.532 cents per HHonor point, so converting to HHonors is generally going to be a bad idea.