• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to go in Mexico?

heckingbottom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Las Vegas Strip
We're travelling from the UK and intending to spend a week at one og the HGVs in Carlsbad and then travel on to Mexico for a further week. We're a family with 2 girls aged 17 and 16. I'm looking at the resorts and need some help. I'm ruling out Kohunlick as it seems to far away to travel.

We like to travel round a resort when we visit so we dont want to stay in the same place so are ruling out Los Cabos as its all inclusive and we dont need this.

So that leaves Cancun, Acapulco and Zihauatanego. Does anyone know which one of these is centrally located in an area surrounded by nice bars and restaurants etc? Also, which has the best beaches nearby?

Thanks a lot

Peter

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Are you talking about specifically using an HGVC affiliated property?

You could use your points to book something through RCI and have far better choices.

The Los Cabos area has lots of resorts and they aren't totally all-inclusive. It's also a short, inexpensive flight from San Diego to the airport there.

Puerto Vallarta is also a nice place to stay on the west coast of Mexico.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are fond of Mazatlan. Easy jet service, a city of over a half million, large ex-pat community. Excellent tourism infrastructure (bars, restaurants), good beaches and great shrimp! I can't say which resorts are Hilton affiliated, though.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think you can book the Grand Mayan properties directly through Hilton (if not, you can do it through RCI). I would highly recommend the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta for a family vacation. It is a little ways from downtown Puerto Vallarta, but getting around is simple via rental car or public transportation. The Grand Mayan NV is a huge resort with the best pool / lazy river complex I have been to, as well as a very nice beach. Your girls would love it.

Kurt

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think you can book the Grand Mayan properties directly through Hilton (if not, you can do it through RCI). I would highly recommend the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta for a family vacation. It is a little ways from downtown Puerto Vallarta, but getting around is simple via rental car or public transportation. The Grand Mayan NV is a huge resort with the best pool / lazy river complex I have been to, as well as a very nice beach. Your girls would love it.

Kurt

I must agree with that one. The Mayan, Bliss, Luxxe property in Nuevo is spectacular.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico

I travel to several locations in Mexico, and by far my favorite is Pueblo Bonito
Sunset Beach. You commented negatively about an all inclusive as if all resorts force you to stay on an all inclusive. A few do, but most don't. As a guest why would I want to pay for a kitchen and not use it and therefore most of the time I shop at Costco or Walmart because I am accustom to the market and its contents as compared to a large neighborhood food store, and eat one or two meals daily at home, and usually dinner at the resort or one of the sister resorts. It is popular at Sunset Beach to try an all inclusive for 3 days and in that fashion get the benefits and not all the draw backs.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico Forum

I suggest you scroll down to Mexico Forum and read all sorts of good info there.

I am a CABO person and PBS is my favorite resort although due to resort 1/4 rule can't stay there every year

I agree AI is not for a lot of people. If big eater and drinker a bargain but after 3 or so days get over filled. Also, some resorts charge extra for deluxe food and booze!

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We were also looking for a Mexico property through RCI. I had the same reaction about AI it seemed like every one I looked at was AI mandatory. Then I discovered the handy AI selection on the left side of the screen and it removed all locations that are AI mandatory (what a scam some of these were, we saw one for New Years week which was $380 per person per day). There are quite a few in cabo and puerto/Nuevo Vallarta which are not AI mandatory. Those are the two locations with the shortest flights and cheapest airfare from San Diego.

While I liked pueblo bonito sunset beach in cabo Its kind quiet for kids/teens and you can't go in the ocean (common in cabo). For cabo I would look for something along medano beach or go to puerto/Nuevo Vallarta area which doesn't cost much more in airfare than cabo from San Diego.

Ian

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
heckingbottom, if you decide to exchange for Mexico rather than book through the club, you can book your home week and then deposit it to SFX. SFX has tremendous inventory for Mexico and will be happy to help you choose a family friendly place. You need to do the math. The exchange fee will be less for SFX and you'll probably get a bonus week and/or some other stuff depending on when you make your deposit.