• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Hilton Waikoloa Options

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort on the Big Island would you choose?
At Kingsland what is the difference between the regular, plus, and premier units? Looking at the Hilton book I seer the units at Kingsland have 2 different point values. Is there a big difference in the configuration.
Thanks

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Which resort on the Big Island would you choose?
At Kingsland what is the difference between the regular, plus, and premier units? Looking at the Hilton book I seer the units at Kingsland have 2 different point values. Is there a big difference in the configuration.
Thanks

The primary difference in the Phase 1 units is the floor of the unit (but it's not as simple as 10,500 is first floor, 12,400 is second floor and 14,400 is top floor, there is more intermixing than that.) Phase 2, which has the traditional point grid of 7,000 and 8,400 units is a fundamentally smaller unit than Phase 1 (perhaps 15% smaller), with the same comment about higher points is higher floor.

Next time I go to the Big Island (and I hope its in 2016), I will likely stay at Kings Land in Phase 1, on the first floor. It's a 10,500 point room, the primary living area is bigger than Phase 2, and it has really better furniture outside on the patio. With respect to Phase 1, I prefer the ground floor because it's easier to access the BBQ's, even if the points were the same, so it's nice that its the lowest point value room in P1.

I prefer Kings Land to Kohala Suites because the Super Pool is great for the kids, and I prefer Kings Land to the bigger Bay Club units because it has access to the hotel, which I really really like.

I wrote a thread in 2012 on Kings Land and the relative room sizes. I will see if I can find it. I hope that helps.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As Greg mentioned, the outdoor furniture for Phase one is the very nice and very cushy stuff. Phase 2 looked to have more the traditional/cheapo type. I slept outside on the loveseat in Phase one half a night. It was very nice and comfortable. I loved being on first floor to enjoy all the cats, but if you have a strong dislike of cats, you will want a higher floor. If I ever stay there again, I'll choose a first floor phase one again.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
The primary difference in the Phase 1 units is the floor of the unit (but it's not as simple as 10,500 is first floor, 12,400 is second floor and 14,400 is top floor, there is more intermixing than that.) Phase 2, which has the traditional point grid of 7,000 and 8,400 units is a fundamentally smaller unit than Phase 1 (perhaps 15% smaller), with the same comment about higher points is higher floor.

Next time I go to the Big Island (and I hope its in 2016), I will likely stay at Kings Land in Phase 1, on the first floor. It's a 10,500 point room, the primary living area is bigger than Phase 2, and it has really better furniture outside on the patio. With respect to Phase 1, I prefer the ground floor because it's easier to access the BBQ's, even if the points were the same, so it's nice that its the lowest point value room in P1.

I prefer Kings Land to Kohala Suites because the Super Pool is great for the kids, and I prefer Kings Land to the bigger Bay Club units because it has access to the hotel, which I really really like.

I wrote a thread in 2012 on Kings Land and the relative room sizes. I will see if I can find it. I hope that helps.

Best,

Greg

If it was just you and your wife, no kids, for a week what would be your preference: still Kings Land, Waikoloa, or the Bay Club (Villa & no Villa) :shrug:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
If it was just you and your wife, no kids, for a week what would be your preference: still Kings Land, Waikoloa, or the Bay Club (Villa & no Villa) :shrug:

Without kids, we could opt for the Bay Club - but most likely would return to HHV versus Big Island if just us.

Best,

Greg

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Without kids, we could opt for the Bay Club - but most likely would return to HHV versus Big Island if just us.

Best,

Greg
Thanks for the insight. Based on reading many of your previous posts, I would assume that when you state HHV, you're preference would be the Lagoon Tower at HHV. Sounds like we're in agreement (I'm assuming) that for adult, middle aged and older couples, with no kids tagging along, the Bay Club on the Big Island and the Lagoon Tower on Oahu are the places to stay.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the insight. Based on reading many of your previous posts, I would assume that when you state HHV, you're preference would be the Lagoon Tower at HHV. Sounds like we're in agreement (I'm assuming) that for adult, middle aged and older couples, with no kids tagging along, the Bay Club on the Big Island and the Lagoon Tower on Oahu are the places to stay.

Yes, I would agree with you -- Lagoon Tower and Bay Club would be our preferences for a couples trip -- makes me want to go to Hawaii now!

Best,

Greg

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
For pure "couples time", we prefer Maui and the Grand Wailea. Not a TS obviously, but it is a bit of Heaven on Earth! :D

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a coin toss decision on where we stay on the Big Island. It depends on who's coming, what's available, how points rich do I feel when I make the reservation, etc. I guess I'm the contrarian here. With kids in tow, I like the extra space in the Bay Club units. For romantic getaways, DH and I like staying at Kings' Land (Phase 1), because it feels more like a full service resort vs condo vacation. And I love those wonderful sofas on the lanai in KL1, too, but wonder how long they'll hold up?

We had 2BR units in both the Bay Club and Kings' Land (Phase 1) last November, and our kids (in their 20's-30's) liked Kings' Land better (style/fixtures/furnishings), but spent most of their time in our BC unit. We had a huge 2BR/2BA ground floor corner unit with wonderful indoor and outdoor living spaces. The KL 2BR's felt crowded by comparison. My biggest issue at BC was the small galley kitchen. The wall of base cabinets in the adjacent dining room had a wine cooler and refrigerator drawers to help stretch the space a bit. Otherwise, the large BC units worked much better for family meals and gatherings.

As to the different resort amenities, the grandkids (under 8) liked the KL super pool and the Hilton hotel pools and lagoon, but they also had a great time in the Bay Club and Kohala pools and ocean beaches. I don't think it really mattered to our kids where they were swimming.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
While we are talking about the different Waikoloa options, I had a question for anyone who might be an Elite owner.

One of the Elite benefits is "Access to Kings' Land Clubhouse while staying at Waikoloa Resort of The Bay Club". Does that mean one would have access to Kings' Land super pool if they were staying at The Bay Club?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Kurt

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
While we are talking about the different Waikoloa options, I had a question for anyone who might be an Elite owner.

One of the Elite benefits is "Access to Kings' Land Clubhouse while staying at Waikoloa Resort of The Bay Club". Does that mean one would have access to Kings' Land super pool if they were staying at The Bay Club?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Kurt

I have the same question: Does that mean one would have access to Kings' Land super pool if they were staying at The Bay Club?

Any Elite members out there that has stayed at the other Big Island resorts and know?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In a fairly recent post, there was a reference to Elites being able to use the KL pools when staying at the Bay Club. That is all I have seen on this to date. I am hoping to hear of a confirmation from someone who has stayed at the Bay Club recently.

Kurt

njmacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I hit the wrong button. We stayed at Bay Club- 4 adults in a first floor 2 bedroom corner unit on the golf side. It was perfect for us, sitting on the porch looking at the mountains. The pool was quiet, and the rooms large. We didn't miss the fancy pool. Concierge was by the pool and very helpful. We would go again.

DerekM

Reaction score
Elite bay club free access to kl pools

So we are on a mini-VIP at KL this week. I asked at the towel shack and they confirmed that bay club elite can use KL pools for free and non-elites would pay $15-20 per person per day.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Guess that means I will be booking at Bay Club then, as I am an elite (got it resale before they changed the program, and I got it written into my contract. So Bonus for me then.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we are on a mini-VIP at KL this week. I asked at the towel shack and they confirmed that bay club elite can use KL pools for free and non-elites would pay $15-20 per person per day.

Thank you for the direct confirmation! This definitely would influence which property to pick when going to the Big Island.

Kurt

DerekM

Reaction score
And now for the fun

We are off to our mandatory sales pitch. I had to promise my wife I will behave. I'll post what they're offering.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are off to our mandatory sales pitch. I had to promise my wife I will behave. I'll post what they're offering.

I can't wait to hear. I saw many people walking around KL last November with the new owner stuff. Whatever they are selling, lots of people are buying.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Enjoy, will be interested to hear what they offer...

DerekM

Reaction score
Wellllll.....

We basically failed you all. The good news is we were out of there in 1hr. Bad news is they didn't even try to get us into a VIP let alone go over sales info. We were so clearly not going to buy the manager didn't even lay anything out for us.

But we did go thru a 1br and 2br over at the bay club with Andrea from bay resales and we are sold on getting a 2br in the A floor plan after the new year

Sorry for failing on the sales intel!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We basically failed you all. The good news is we were out of there in 1hr. Bad news is they didn't even try to get us into a VIP let alone go over sales info. We were so clearly not going to buy the manager didn't even lay anything out for us.

But we did go thru a 1br and 2br over at the bay club with Andrea from bay resales and we are sold on getting a 2br in the A floor plan after the new year

Sorry for failing on the sales intel!

Sounds like a "win" to me! Good job getting out of there in short order -- more time for vacation. :banana:

Kurt

Jan Handlers

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a 2 BR A floor plan available on Redweek right now for a reasonable price. I bought my last resale through them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Also note I would avoid the studio at Lagoon tower like the plague. The only one I would take is the lockout part of one of the penthouse units, and then you have to deal with the sound proofing part.

So I instead would take Kalia if a studio was the goal.

I would take a 1 or 2 BR in Lagoon after that.

I like Grand Waikikian, but I just can't stomach the premium points required. ! had stayed at GW but both times got my exchange via RCI instead of using my HGVC points.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also note I would avoid the studio at Lagoon tower like the plague. The only one I would take is the lockout part of one of the penthouse units, and then you have to deal with the sound proofing part.

So I instead would take Kalia if a studio was the goal.

I would take a 1 or 2 BR in Lagoon after that.

I like Grand Waikikian, but I just can't stomach the premium points required. ! had stayed at GW but both times got my exchange via RCI instead of using my HGVC points.
Last time we were at HHV, I got a studio for my wife's son. I think it was on the 6th or 8th floor next to the elevator. It was really, really bad. If we would have had our 1-BDRM next to his studio, it wouldn't have been as bad, but to be confined to just that little box: No Way.