• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Price change while talking to broker

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to resale and buying property in the states.

Is it normal that while you are dealing with the broker or agent that the price for the unit suddenly goes up?

Regards Michal.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
NO - change brokers.

If you order a steak off the menu and it is listed for $10.00, would you accept the bill for the steak to be $50.00 when it comes to the table.

Brokers in most states must have a WRITTEN and SIGNED Listing Agreement if they are talking up a property. Now, if it was over several weeks and months between communications, it might LOOK like the same time share (both for 2,500 points at the same resort) ... but you used the term "suddenly"... sounds like he figure you were NEWBIE and DUMB ... he is gonna "take" you.

PS Usually the price of timeshares goes DOWN, when you talk to someone who is selling one.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I was also surprised, we started talking a few days ago, and today the price went up.

The resale site which I'm talking to, comes highly recommended by this forum. This is why I don't understand the brokers strategy towards me.

I'll wait until tomorrow or so before making any decisions.

Regards Michal.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
Thanks for your reply.

I was also surprised, we started talking a few days ago, and today the price went up.

The resale site which I'm talking to, comes highly recommended by this forum. This is why I don't understand the brokers strategy towards me.

I'll wait until tomorrow or so before making any decisions.

Regards Michal.

Can you tell us which site and broker so others are aware and possibly avoid.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the seller decided on a higher price. I would ask the agent directly why the price went up.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Without knowing the specifics, I wouldn't say you need to avoid. It's not as though the OP had contracted to buy. It is possible that the broker had multiple units at the same resort and one sold and the next, lets say 4800 pt platinum one br at seaworld isn't available at the same price as the original one. You certainly can go to a steak restaurant and ask for a copy of the menu telling them you might be interested in hosting a family gathering in the near future. Three days later you come back and the old menu prices no longer apply because they rolled at a new menu. No bait and switch. I doubt the broker told the OP that they could come back at anytime in the near future and they guarantee the same price would be applicable. Having worked at an airline reservation center we always said "the fare which is not guaranteed until purchased is $X."

The good news is you can always pass and ask them to contact you if something is available at the price you want.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will know more later today when I have talked to the broker. I can post some more info at that point.

The odd thing, is that the price got higher that the original asking price. A seller can always say no to negotiate but it would seem odd to raise the price beyond asking price.

regards Michal

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I've never dealt with a broker for a TS purchase but this doesn't seem all that odd to me.

To use the menu example. The menu is printed a day ago and the steak is listed at $10. You order it but the wait person tells you the price has gone up to $14. You have a choice, buy it or not.

I can see the same thing happen with anything. You talk today and tomorrow the price has gone up. Wait another day and the price may go up again.

I won't speculate on the reason for this but if it's still a good deal at the current price, why not buy it.?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
That sounds very frustrating, but i would definitely ask the broker about the difference.

Is if possible you first discussing just the actual sales price and now the broker is listing the total price at closing, including any taxes and fees?

Otherwise, i would agree with others that perhaps the original unit offered sold and now the others are at higher prices.

Chris

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have talked with the broker today, and he ended up offering me the unit at the initial asking price.

I didn't ask about why the price suddenly changed since I won't be buy from him anyway.

Thanks for all your answers, they where helpful.

Regards Michal.