• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI /monarch class action suit?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The description sounds like the suit hasn't got merit.

Michael1991

Reaction score

Why do think it has no merit? If the plaintiff has the witnesses suggested, I should think the claim is prima facie.

Ferraro argued while the purchases may have been facilitated by different salespeople at different companies, the contracts entered into by the plaintiffs were the same and their whistleblowers could attest to the deliberate ways Diamond swindled the timeshare owners out of money.
"There is a scheme that exists within Diamond to defraud people," Ferraro's attorney Veronica Aguilar said.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The suit could have merit for it's plaintiff. I would be surprised if it survives as a Class Action.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Why do think it has no merit? If the plaintiff has the witnesses suggested, I should think the claim is prima facie.

The claims are that the sales people TOLD them one thing and then it turned out to be untrue. They are NOT claiming that the written contracts say things that are untrue.

Bill4728

Reaction score

Ferraro argued while the purchases may have been facilitated by different salespeople at different companies, the contracts entered into by the plaintiffs were the same and their whistleblowers could attest to the deliberate ways Diamond swindled the timeshare owners out of money.
"There is a scheme that exists within Diamond to defraud people," Ferraro's attorney Veronica Aguilar said.

The original sales of the TS were from different companies BUT the key thing is that after DRI takes over a different TS company, all of DRI's salespeople say the same thing " unless you upgrade you'll find that your current ownership will not be able to access the resorts you want" What they don't say is that you will be able to access all the resorts you could access before DRI took over just not the other DRI resorts.

One of the other claims is that the owners find after "upgrading" that their TS ownership has no value even though they paid lots of $$$ to "upgrade" The truth of this is that all of the TS resort systems which DRI has bought out have little to no value. AND the upgraded ownership has little to no value either.

Last edited:

Michael1991

Reaction score
Value to whom? As a DRI owner, my DRI interests have great value to me. Whether or not they have value to anyone else is immaterial unless I'm trying to get rid of them.

Bill is obviously referring to market value. It is well known that personal utility, one's subjective valuation of something, is different than the market value of that thing.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Bill is obviously referring to market value. It is well known that personal utility, one's subjective valuation of something, is different than the market value of that thing.

YES That is exactly what I meant. the ownerships in these resorts have no resale value.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The original sales of the TS were from different companies BUT the key thing is that after DRI takes over a different TS company, all of DRI's salespeople say the same thing " unless you upgrade you'll find that your current ownership will not be able to access the resorts you want" What they don't say is that you will be able to access all the resorts you could access before DRI took over just not the other DRI resorts.

One of the other claims is that the owners find after "upgrading" that their TS ownership has no value even though they paid lots of $$$ to "upgrade" The truth of this is that all of the TS resort systems which DRI has bought out have little to no value. AND the upgraded ownership has little to no value either.

And you think that's worth suing over?

IMO, the Owners didn't do due diligence before buying. They just listened to sales pitches, didn't ask enough questions, didn't do any research online, assumed their ownerships had value, etc etc etc. That's like going to a car sales lot and believing every word the sales people say as gospel truth and buying a new car and then getting mad that the car sales people didn't suggest that you test drive other cars or visit other lots or look online to read about safety and value etc of cars.

As an aside, I bought a very small car once. After I test drove it I made a comment about how small it was. The sales person, a very big (in both directions) man said it looked smaller than it was and it was very comfortable. So I made him get in and show me. He was so uncomfortable. It was so funny to me. I was just being mean at that point because I had already done my research and this was THE car I was going to buy. I get a kick out of making sales people walk the talk.

Last edited: