• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

married filing seperately or jointly

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
We both make about the same income and all other deductions are about the same so we split them. One of us has about $2000 more health deductions than the other. That is the only difference. How should we file. Can we change our filing status year to year.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
When we sold our Rental home, that was the first year my Bride and I EVER filed anything but Joint. Given the complexities of selling a house out of state and the size of the CapGain, we went with a Professional for the first time as well.

It was a very good decision (on my Dear Sweet Bride's part) as we have very different incomes and she (the accountant) could place all of the CG against my Bride's income.

There is zero doubt in my mind that I would have blown it once I saw the complete package the gal created. She even handled the one IRS question letter that came in.

Bottom line? If you are feeling squishy and think your return is too complex, JUMP! If it's not too complex, play with the numbers and see what you get...the tax programs really facilitate testing scenarios now.

Good Luck! Tax time is the one time I can honestly say I almost hate my government...:shrug:

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not want to get too involved but we too have the sale of our summer home to contend with along with the filing jointly doubts. We are gay and this is the first time we have this decision to make, filing separately or married. We got married as soon as it was legal in Ct. but will celebrate our 50 years together next March.

geekette

Reaction score
I did not want to get too involved but we too have the sale of our summer home to contend with along with the filing jointly doubts. We are gay and this is the first time we have this decision to make, filing separately or married. We got married as soon as it was legal in Ct. but will celebrate our 50 years together next March.

FIFTY YEARS? Big Congratulations, the big 5 oh just brought tears to my eyes, it's just so rare...

Sounds like the house was held jointly? Use TurboTax, it's very good at determining best way for you to file and should walk you thru all you need for sale of home. If it becomes a sticky-wicket, absolutely get thee to a pro!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joyce, a lot of the decision is about just how 'co-mingled' you and your spouse want to have your assets. After 50 years (MANY congratulations!!!), I'd think they are pretty well combined anyway, but that's up to you to decide. I'll second that you can run the numbers every which way on Turbo Tax.

In a personal level, My wife and I have just been together 15 years and married for 10 this year. Our assets were accumulated separately and we have families from 'before' to consider before any 'co-mingling'. As you can imagine, she, as an attorney, and I as a retired trucker have quite different incomes. We choose to keep our assets pretty well separate, and file Married filing Separately. It just makes the most sense to us.

Some of the decision is purely financial, and some of it is emotional. Run the numbers and have a heart-to-heart with your spouse. The decision you will make is the right decision for you.

Jim

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is rarely a good deal filing separately because you lose a handful of credits but when in doubt do the math both ways. No education, child/dependent care, earned income (phases out fast), or adoption credits.

Last edited:

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also concur on the use of TurboTax to assess the impact. Congrats on 50 years together!!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is that simple TurboTax will do the math properly or you can ask an accountant for probably a couple of hundred bucks and they will run both scenarios.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use to do TurboTax. One year our taxes were a little more complicated so we used an accountant. She subsequently refiled our taxes for the previous 3 years. We got an incredible refund back. With TurboTax we had actually paid money instead of getting a refund back for those years.

And Joyce, congratulations! That is so awesome.

Last edited:

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and congrats on our union. I have called a tax accountant and will go to him next year. I hate not doing it myself but things change!!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and congrats on our union. I have called a tax accountant and will go to him next year. I hate not doing it myself but things change!!

That is what happens when you get married. :ignore:

Congratulations and best wishes for another 50 together!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of those strange things about paying for service. You pay for a plumber or electrician or carpet fitter but paying someone to do your taxes...

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Filing

I saw one year where a couple got divorced every year and filed as single.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We got married as soon as it was legal in Ct. but will celebrate our 50 years together next March.
Wow - big congratulations!!