• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wedding venues in Wilmington DE/Philadelphia?

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My bonus daughter has gotten engaged. Both she and her fiance are in very demanding careers - they routinely work 60+ hours per week. They are not having much success finding a wedding venue that is not in the range of $100 per person.

Does anyone know of any place that is nice that is substantially less than that? Laura would like for the wedding to be outdoors with an indoor backup in case of rain.

Any ideas?

elaine

Debbie118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two places that you may want to look into are The Morris Arboretum or The Horticulture Center. I am not familiar but I believe you rent facility and bring in your own caterer.

Good Luck!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on number of guests:
River Wind Restrauant in West Deptford, NJ --- on bluff above the Delaware River directly across the river from Phila airport with distance views of the city (about 3+ miles) ... private rooms BUT the FOOD is great, there is a township park below and they do the outdoor tents in the summer. Owner has another place up by Deptford Mall (drawing blank on that one name). About 6 miles north of Barry Bridge.

Auletto's Catering in Deptford NJ on Copper Street ... Nice outdoor area .. has garden with wide stream/small lake behind it. Older place but active as it does all the Senior Citizen meals in the county during the week. Was a BIG catering hall with a very large wine cellar. I still see lots of cars in the lot and know some function. Had a dance floor indoors.

Old Swede Inn - smaller venue -- historical Inn - reopened 2+ years ago - about 3 miles from Commodore Barry Bridge. Quaint.

Hope this helps - these are nice places -- hope they meet the under $100 a plate budget.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Morris Arboretum looks beautiful. Thanks!

elaine

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If they both have demanding careers, work long hours, etc., why not have a small/very small wedding (or even a wedding/honeymoon/vacation for just the two of them), and then...

Later, say a month or so later, have either an "Open House" or a an afternoon reception. Either of these would be much less costly.

Jerry and I had an Open House (in a fair sized apartment). We invited over a hundred people, who arrived and left over a period of about four hours, so it wasn't that crowded. Punch, good alcohol, and lovely appetizers, that's all. It worked for us.

Sometimes (and this is JMHO) I think this "Keeping up with the Joneses" with weddings has gone much too far. What should be important to the couple should be all the days following the wedding, not the wedding day.

Fern

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Yellow House of Willowdale (http://yellowhouseofwillowdale.com) in Kennett Square, PA is a venue at which indoor/outdoor events take place. Wedding receptions and other events are held here but I am not familiar with pricing. Kennett Square, PA is very close to Wilmington, DE and not far from Philly (less than hr). The website includes photos which offer a glimpse at their offerings.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lauxmont Farms

http://www.lauxmontweddings.com/
I have no idea of the costs but I did attend a wedding there and it is an amazing site...Can be outside or I believe. It is just a few miles west of Lancaster across the Susquehanna River and has gorgeous view of the river and valley.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
www.theknot.com is a good online resource to checkout venues. With such demanding careers, they would probably benefit from the services of a wedding planner.

Reaction score
Hi.

One of the best wedding venue to be outdoors with an indoor back up in case of rain, is The Crystal River Inn. You can try and call them for the whole information.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions --- I have been off of TUG for awhile due to the premature birth of my first grandbaby (my son and daughter-in-law's --- not the bride to be). She is doing well now and we are truly delighted to be grandparents.

One of the things that Laura requested was that Ian and I host a fun run the morning of the wedding. I rented a pavilion at Brandywine Creek State Park for the food and such.

Laura, being very practical, and not at all into conspicuous consumption, has decided that the pavilion will work just fine for the wedding as well.

So, we are having the fun run in the morning and Ian and I are providing breakfast and drinks.

Then, after noon, the wedding and reception where they will have sandwiches, cake, punch, and coffee.

Later in the day, they are hosting a "family dinner." Which will be just that dinner for the family --- which is quite large.

She has told me that she doesn't intend to have flowers or music. She hasn't mentioned anything about decor, either. So, I suspect that there won't be any.

She wants a very laid back, friendly, hang-out-together vibe. One of the things that Ian has always said is that the day isn't about the wedding, it's about the marriage. I think that she has absorbed that and will be acting on it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the suggestions.

elaine