• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
There is no "gold select season owner" at SVR -- you owned Platinum or Gold Plus.

Gold Select refers to the single internal blended redemption rate for SVR owners booking at SVR with SO's. Non-SVR owners booking at SVR with SO's used the Platinum or Gold Plus redemption rates.

Did it actually say the season had been changed, or just that the SO's associated with their existing season had been changed?

The email I got just said I was getting more SO's, nothing about a change in seasons. But my units were already Platinum season, so perhaps I got a different email than those owning Gold Plus season...

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. I thought Gold Select was the name of the season. In any event, I wasn't suggesting changing seasons for WKORV owners anyway, because Starwood cannot mess with deeded rights. Rather I was hoping that they'd overlay seasons for SVNers exchanging in, so that owners could still book a villa with 148,100 SOs. Overlaying seasons would muddy the waters, which I hate, but it'd be easier to stomach than raising the entire resort out of price range of so many SVNers.

Since Nanea isn't scheduled to open for 2 years, I wonder when they'll start actively selling it? It'll be nice to have actual information in front of us so that we can plan accordingly.

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Noise issue during construction?

We are looking forward to an exchange into WKORVN for a week beginning August 28. First time in that area in 25 years. Any guess on how bad the construction noise might be in the unit or on the beach?

Am I correct to infer that the snorkeling there is not that great? I'm new to snorkeling and got spoiled when I saw a turtle in Wailea last year. Leave the snorkel at home and enjoy other things?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since Nanea isn't scheduled to open for 2 years, I wonder when they'll start actively selling it? It'll be nice to have actual information in front of us so that we can plan accordingly.

I would suspect one year in advance of occupancy. That's how they were/are controlling inventory at WDW during construction.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no "gold select season owner" at SVR -- you owned Platinum or Gold Plus.

Gold Select refers to the single internal blended redemption rate for SVR owners booking at SVR with SO's. Non-SVR owners booking at SVR with SO's used the Platinum or Gold Plus redemption rates.

Did it actually say the season had been changed, or just that the SO's associated with their existing season had been changed?

The email I got just said I was getting more SO's, nothing about a change in seasons. But my units were already Platinum season, so perhaps I got a different email than those owning Gold Plus season...

Gold Select is II's designation for SVR 1-52 blended weeks for the phases that are fixed/float. However in SVN, I have never seen a "Gold Select" listed against my SVR week. I believe it was listed as "Flex".

This was the announcement for bumping the 90K SOs for 2BR LO to 95.7K SOs: As a result of your new StarOptions value, the Gold Select season is no longer applicable. You will now be able to reserve a seven-night stay in Platinum season in the villa type you own.

This "blended" SOs of 90K bump to 95.7K applies to all 2BR LO weeks, regardless of what the fixed week is.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking forward to an exchange into WKORVN for a week beginning August 28. First time in that area in 25 years. Any guess on how bad the construction noise might be in the unit or on the beach?

I would not expect any major noise issues from WNOV at WKORV-N. They are fairly far apart. I stayed at WKORV in building 2 when building 3 was being built, and noise was not a problem. They are pretty good about this, and these properties have some distance between them.

Am I correct to infer that the snorkeling there is not that great? I'm new to snorkeling and got spoiled when I saw a turtle in Wailea last year. Leave the snorkel at home and enjoy other things?

The snorkeling in front of WKORV and WKORV-N is very nice. Do bring your snorkel. We see turtles regularly, and there is a lot of life on the reef. The comment above was about the area between WKORV-N and WNOV. Where you will be staying, snorkeling is great.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I would suspect one year in advance of occupancy. That's how they were/are controlling inventory at WDW during construction.

I suspect that may be more due to their failure with WMH North since they starting selling a right to buy for $1000 before receiving legal/local/State/whatever approval to actually build and then ran into problems. I don't recall all the details but have them somewhere since I actually bought one of those options to buy and then had about a year to convince myself out of it (and did receive a full refund). I doubt their sales organization wanted to sell something without full approval again. The new Maui property may be different, especially since they've already started working on the building...they may start selling sooner than you think, and offer some alternative use package for the first year or so, or just a better price...

Sent from my iPad

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not expect any major noise issues from WNOV at WKORV-N. They are fairly far apart. I stayed at WKORV in building 2 when building 3 was being built, and noise was not a problem. They are pretty good about this, and these properties have some distance between them.

The snorkeling in front of WKORV and WKORV-N is very nice. Do bring your snorkel. We see turtles regularly, and there is a lot of life on the reef. The comment above was about the area between WKORV-N and WNOV. Where you will be staying, snorkeling is great.

Thank you, I feel greatly relieved. :whoopie:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
However, I'm not actually suggesting that Starwood would try to change seasons for OWNERS of WKORV/WPORV now. Since the entire year is platinum plus, that'd be a pointless exercise anyway. No, I'm suggesting that they might overlay seasons into the SO chart for folks exchanging IN, IOW charging exchangers 176,700 SOs for Jan/Feb/Mar exchanges and 148,100 for Oct/Nov/early Dec exchanges. (Owners exchanging OUT would all have to be given 176,700 SOs, of course.)

The only reason I'd even suggest overlaying seasons now is because I'm convinced that an increase in SOs for WKORV is extremely likely now that they are going ahead with Nanea. (Feel free to disagree with me.) And IF they do this, they risk a huge backlash from other SVNers, the vast majority of whom bought under the 67,100/81,000/148,100 SO chart.

It's one thing to increase SOs to 176,700 in platinum + season at a resort like WSJ, which has 3 seasons, because an exchange is still attainable for most owners, albeit in shoulder/low season. It'd be quite another to do this at a resort that has 1 season year round, and you've just priced the most popular resort out of range for a huge percentage of your owners. And note I wouldn't have dreamt that they'd increase the SOs to 176,700 at WKORV absent the WSJ increase. I never thought I'd see a 2 bdrm in platinum season be priced above 148,100. Now I believe that 176,700 is going to be the new norm for the upper tier resorts, and the others (WKV, WMH, WLR) will be left at the lower rate. It's a roundabout way of resetting the SO chart to be more in line with supply/demand.

Anywho, that is my latest stream of consciousness. I actually look forward to seeing what they're going to do. If they leave it at 148,100 SOs, that works for me, but it would leave me even more confused as to why they singled out WSJ.

The following is absolute conjecture of mine with no concrete facts to back it up: One resort does not a trend make. I think they singled out WSJ because 1) it is literally the smallest number of units for an ultra premium resort and 2) very few exchanges were available precisely because they had set the staroptions too low and given the high MF, no one in their right mind would release their WSJ unit for less time / smaller size unit elsewhere using staroptions. The SO bump addresses that disparity and provides incentive for WSJ owners to try someplace new. However, at that same time, they really wanted to make WSJ available to their 3,4, and 5* elite before the "normal 148,100 so owner", and therefore put those units just outside their reach unless they decide to bank, whereas the elite owner waltzes right into WSJ with no problem.

I really don't see them adjusting elsewhere, in my personal opinion. I have only used staroptions twice, once was to get into WSJ and the other to go to HRA. HRA had plenty of availability, WSJ was slightly more difficult. So I would be very surprised if the Nanea had higher staroptions.

Pure speculation on my part -- but it would make sense to me for SVO to make a Sheraton trust and a Westin trust.

Ok, my turn for pure speculation. For the most part, I do think that they will eventually create a Westin style trust. If you look at the SO chart, the remaining resorts already not named in the "five resorts placed in the Sheraton trust" are all 148,100 and higher, if I'm not mistaken. I think you will eventually see a trust with those remaining resorts,but perhaps with only the voluntary resorts in it. The Mandatory ones will probably not be part of that since they have resale value.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
. . . .

Ok, my turn for pure speculation. For the most part, I do think that they will eventually create a Westin style trust. If you look at the SO chart, the remaining resorts already not named in the "five resorts placed in the Sheraton trust" are all 148,100 and higher, if I'm not mistaken. I think you will eventually see a trust with those remaining resorts,but perhaps with only the voluntary resorts in it. The Mandatory ones will probably not be part of that since they have resale value.

They don't need to. If Starwood wanted, it could allow resale owners of voluntary Westin resorts into SVN which already has most of the functionality of a trust for exchange purposes. Starwood could make this offer on a one-time basis, on an ongoing basis, limit it to the current owner, or even make the newly-acquired SVN rights transferable (in effect, making the unit the equivalent of a mandatory resort unit). Of course, Starwood could charge for the privilege as does Marriott.

It strikes me that many WMH, WPORV, WLR and other resort owners would pay a lot for this "enhancement" and it would be pure profit to the new Starwood spin-off company.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gold Select is II's designation for SVR 1-52 blended weeks for the phases that are fixed/float. However in SVN, I have never seen a "Gold Select" listed against my SVR week. I believe it was listed as "Flex".

There were two different SO charts for SVR (see attached for the internal one). This is like the overlay that someone suggested for WKORV/N...

Gold Select was the internal SVN season name given to SVR owners wanting to book SVR outside of their Home Resort period.

If you owned SVR you could book within your season (Platinum or Gold Plus) by the week, or outside your season at the blended internal Gold Select SO rate. Platinum owners had to pay more than the Gold Plus rate to book in Gold Plus season, while Gold Plus owners paid less than the Platinum rate to book in Platinum season.

If you didn't own SVR you booked at the Platinum or Gold Plus SO rate. The problem there was that SVR Platinum season owners were paying more SO's (76000 SO's for a 2BR) to book a Gold Plus season week than non-SVR owners (67100 SO's for a 2BR). This has been fixed by getting rid of the Gold Select internal season.

The units have always remained Platinum (Prime) and Gold Plus (High) season.

The adjustment in SO's was something else, likely to equalize SVR with the other Sheraton trust properties?

This is all changes in the SVN club layer...

Attachments

• SVR-Gold Select-StarOptions Values Chart.jpg
    SVR-Gold Select-StarOptions Values Chart.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you, I feel greatly relieved. :whoopie:

The snorkleing in front of WKORV and WKORVN is great - a good-size reef extends from the public beach next (south) of WKORV to the north boundary of WKORVN - you can see it on Google maps and Google earth.

I have 1000s of UW photos and 100s of UW video of all sorts of sea life.

as such…

69ea33d562c32d3fec0474dffd3ce4a5_zps0cd4d284.jpg

d9969812d732940df6e85c18423dbb85_zps4c86c99e.jpg

Hello! this guy was about 5ft long
Turt-Bar03_zpsb90eabb9.jpg

844671ec55f19889586ed1304f32a73d_zpsc0f50ed7.jpg

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
:eek:
as an owner of 2 weeks there (north) I don't like this for construction/disruption reasons then 1k more people right there on the beach and walkway

solitude of this vacation will be a thing of the past

only upside...maybe resale values will climb dramatically if SVN prices or "points" the new units into the stratosphere

I tend to agree. I worry about the beach being busy.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
David, those are great pics....thanks for posting them!

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
David,

Thanks for the photos!

Packing List:

Maui Jim sunglasses - check
Snorkel and Mask - check

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I tend to agree. I worry about the beach being busy.

It's a large beach. If you require 20 ft between yourself and another then you might have a problem, but otherwise I doubt this will be an issue for any except those who desire solitude. Let's not forget that there will be another public park in the green space between WKORV-N and the new resort, and while that will bring local visitors (similar to the public access south of WKORV) I suspect there will not be an issue with the beach.

This beach area will still have significantly less rooms than at the Whaler's Village area hotels, which I would agree is too congested.

Sent from my iPad

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
David, thanks for posting your pictures. I will need to snorkel there when we are on Maui in April. The weather didn't cooperate the last time we were there.

Mike

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
David, thanks for posting your pictures. I will need to snorkel there when we are on Maui in April. The weather didn't cooperate the last time we were there.

Mike

Morning hours usually offers better snorkeling near WKORV, as the water is calmer, etc.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From mid-Sept 2014
our daily spot (morning set-up i shade) in front of B2 - blue umbrella [BlackRock in distance]
shot from walkway beach stairs between WKORV (B2) and WKORVN (B5)
bcca0914f61527f48716303165b46834_zps50710c61.jpg

Our spot mid-afternoon (typical cloud cover over Lanai)
no one is standing barefoot on that hot sand for more than a few seconds
8c385d9e5163f6ecfaab5b2ace3f3fda_zps5b9ad2f4.jpg

Robin checking out Rays in above photo
4a7d68e4adfe5cb9450f3edab2e56e5a_zps0d84efdb.jpg

Tangs!
9b75da9baf5a415fc08becd85d91e884_zps1625df54.jpg

Last edited:

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
The snorkleing in front of WKORV and WKORVN is great - a good-size reef extends from the public beach next (south) of WKORV to the north boundary of WKORVN - you can see it on Google maps and Google earth.

d9969812d732940df6e85c18423dbb85_zps4c86c99e.jpg

I wonder if that is "Hank the Tank". He usually hangs out a Black Rock (near the Sheraton)... He's friggin' huge...

I saw him in the water and he looked the same. Course, I couldn't tell one turtle from another. But he seemed to be the only giant one. He's been there forever. Sea Turtles live a very long time.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This was a moderately sized turtle - probably not Hank.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Meanwhile, waiting for Nanea to be finished. Opens in May next year?

I have a 1 bedroom, but so far, haven't seen one availability for it... I read somewhere there were 52 of them. Lots of 2 bedrooms though (but I don't have enough points or really need a two bedroom).

Planning on going there in 2018... but might be tempted if there was any availability.... nice, new resort. Looks lovely.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am presently at WPORV and the folks in the "ocean front" studio next to me are Nanea owners. They said they were told that they have a priority for existing units at the WKORVs until their resort opens but were given this studio as the WKORVs were full. Hmmmm-priority? Look forward to talking to them further.