• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering Resale at Sheraton Desert Oasis

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding purchasing resale at Sheraton Desert Oasis.
I am considering buying resale there and would either use it myself or rent to people I know. I understand this is a voluntary resort so I wouldn't get SO's with a purchase. Here are my questions.

1. Is making a reservation with a resale unit much different then making a reservation with SO's?

2. I noticed on for sale ads here on TUG that they will say Floating EY (Every Year) Sat to Sat. Does this mean that a reservation would need to be made Saturday to Saturday, unlike booking with SO's where you can start your week on any day?

3. Does red week translate into platinum week?

4. I noticed that for 2 bedroom Lock offs at SDO the lowest price is 1 cent and the highest is $2400. Does Starwood exercise ROFR at this resort? If so, what is the price that should pass ROFR?

5. How do I know for sure that the deed in question can be booked during the winter when demand in Phoenix is the highest?

6. Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere in this forum so feel free to point me there. I have read a lot on this Starwood thread and have been amazed at all I have learnt and continue to learn every time I come on here! Thanks to you all for sharing all your knowledge and insight! I just wish I would have found TUG sooner!

Nick

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying resale there and would either use it myself or rent to people I know. I understand this is a voluntary resort so I wouldn't get SO's with a purchase. Here are my questions.

1. Is making a reservation with a resale unit much different then making a reservation with SO's?
If you are looking to reserve at SDO, the check in dates are Fri, Sat and Sun. You can book a year ahead in your season within Starwood system.

2. I noticed on for sale ads here on TUG that they will say Floating EY (Every Year) Sat to Sat. Does this mean that a reservation would need to be made Saturday to Saturday, unlike booking with SO's where you can start your week on any day?
Answered above, check in dates are Fri, Sat or Sun. SOs will offer more flexible, as SOs allow one to book by the day and any check in day.
2 types of SDOs are available. One season allows you to book Week 1 to 52. 3-Season SDO will go by Platinum, Gold and Silver. One season SDO were sold prior to Starwood acquiring the property. After that Starwood broke up the remaining inventory and sold by the 3 seasons.

4. I noticed that for 2 bedroom Lock offs at SDO the lowest price is 1 cent and the highest is $2400. Does Starwood exercise ROFR at this resort? If so, what is the price that should pass ROFR?
No ROFR on this property. 3-Season 2BR EY platinum will fetch the highest price as people buy that to retro into SVN (by buying a developer week) and go for around 3K. 2 BR EY 1-52 goes for around 1K. EOY will be lower. 1BR weeks typically go for $1 regardless of season because the maintenance fees of the 1BR (both Premium/Large and Deluxe/Small) are disproportionately higher than a 2BR. It is more cost effective to buy a 2BR.

5. How do I know for sure that the deed in question can be booked during the winter when demand in Phoenix is the highest?
Both 1-season (allows you to book week 1 to 52) and 3-season platinum week (week 1-21, 51 and 52) will enable you to book during winter

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere in this forum so feel free to point me there. I have read a lot on this Starwood thread and have been amazed at all I have learnt and continue to learn every time I come on here! Thanks to you all for sharing all your knowledge and insight! I just wish I would have found TUG sooner!

Nick

See response inline.

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify.

The Pre-Starwood units that are 1-52 float are not able to be retroed?

If I'm not planning to retro the unit is there any reason not to just buy a 2 Bedroom LO that floats 1-52?

Thanks,

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify.

The Pre-Starwood units that are 1-52 float are not able to be retroed?

If I'm not planning to retro the unit is there any reason not to just buy a 2 Bedroom LO that floats 1-52?

Thanks,

They can be but you would not want to do that. The 1 to 52 units are considered gold plus and come with a much smaller SO allocation for the same mf (81k if memory serves me right) versus the Plat plus units that come with the full 148.1k

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They can be but you would not want to do that. The 1 to 52 units are considered gold plus and come with a much smaller SO allocation for the same mf (81k if memory serves me right) versus the Plat plus units that come with the full 148.1k

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ryan,

He asked if he's not planning to retro is it best to just buy a 1-52 week. The answer is definitely yes. That's what I have and it works great.

Sent from my iPad

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan and Ken! That answers both my questions.

On weeks that float 1-52, is the check in day on the deed or can all these units check-in on Fri, Sat or Sun?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Ryan and Ken! That answers both my questions.

On weeks that float 1-52, is the check in day on the deed or can all these units check-in on Fri, Sat or Sun?

When you make a home resort reservation, you are only permitted to check in and out on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday - which day you reserve is your choice. You can make the reservation 12 mos. before check-in.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Nick

Nick, I bought a SDO resale 2/LO - EOY - Odd and I'm thrilled with my purchase. I bought it off ebay for less then $20. I just wanted to state that I think you will be making an excellent choice in choosing SDO

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I found this information very helpful since I am considering SDO as well. I have noticed that the MF for the smaller and larger 1BR total more than the MF for the 2BR lockout. This would seem to make the 2BR a better value. But, I would always be locking off and using the two sides separately. Are there any fees to do this that would negate the maintenance fee savings of the 2BR? One BR units seem to be more available on eBay.

I am looking for something flexible for winter stays after I retire. I would probably stay at the home resort (SDO or whatever I decide on) about half the time and trade the rest of the time. I understand that even with Starwood preference it is getting harder to get Starwood in Hawaii with SDO. But, while I am sure I would enjoy it I don't need that level of luxury. Does anyone know how well SDO 1BR units trade for mid-tier resorts in Hawaii, south Florida, or maybe the Palm Springs area for winter stays? I just would want a decent [WARM] place to sleep and prepare a few meals.

Thanks for any info.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Barbara - You are correct about the reduced MF cost of the 2 bdm. vs the Lg. 1 bdm + Sm. 1 bdm. That makes the 2 bdm a better value.

Although the Maui resorts are more difficult II exchanges now, it's still doable during the off-season (Sept. - Dec.) with an Ongoing Search, placed well in advance. 12 mos. or more if possible.

Princeville (Kauai) has more availability year-round, than Maui does - there is less demand for Kauai. Again, get your OGS in early.

As far as other exchanges, note that you have the strongest trading power when trading for other Starwood resorts - not so much outside of Starwood. There are Starwood resorts in Florida, CA, AZ, St. John, Harborside - all warmer weather destinations.

Last edited:

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
Hi Denise,
Thanks for the reply. I keep looking at SDO since it seems like a very nice place for a winter stay with reasonable fees. But, if I am also looking for something that I could trade to Hawaii (also in the winter which unfortunately is not low season) maybe I need something with more power. I'm not in a hurry since I have a few more years of working, so I will keep looking around. I could go with SDO and just find another way to get to Hawaii--maybe rentals.

Anyway, keep telling it like it is. I always appreciate it. Sometimes it just takes a while to sink in. :doh:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Denise,
Thanks for the reply. I keep looking at SDO since it seems like a very nice place for a winter stay with reasonable fees. But, if I am also looking for something that I could trade to Hawaii (also in the winter which unfortunately is not low season) maybe I need something with more power. I'm not in a hurry since I have a few more years of working, so I will keep looking around. I could go with SDO and just find another way to get to Hawaii--maybe rentals.

Anyway, keep telling it like it is. I always appreciate it. Sometimes it just takes a while to sink in. :doh:

You are very wise to look at everything out there and take your time… I read up on timeshares for many years prior to purchasing and really looked at what I wanted / needed for the next 10 years.

I ended up choosing SDO because even thou I wanted at some point to trade into Hawaii, the plane fare from the mid-west makes it very cost prohibitive. I'm just thrilled that I now have a week that I can escape the winter from.

I wish you good luck finding the right fit for your needs and wants, its a fun journey.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
One great thing about SDO is it also trades through RCI so that's another option for Hawaii trades. I have received 19-25 TPUs per side by depositing in RCI and have had great trades to Disney resorts. There are some nice Hawaii resorts in RCI.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One great thing about SDO is it also trades through RCI so that's another option for Hawaii trades. I have received 19-25 TPUs per side by depositing in RCI and have had great trades to Disney resorts. There are some nice Hawaii resorts in RCI.

I did not know that, thanks so much

cybernaut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seattle, Washington and Princeville, Kauai
But, if I am also looking for something that I could trade to Hawaii (also in the winter which unfortunately is not low season) maybe I need something with more power. I'm not in a hurry since I have a few more years of working, so I will keep looking around. I could go with SDO and just find another way to get to Hawaii--maybe rentals.
I was able to trade into Hawaii this year (Jan & Feb) with SDO without any problem.

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort? I am interesting in Hawaii but don't know much about resorts there.