• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
My deed does say fixed and it says float but it is a fixed week, starwood pre-books it for me every year. I bought this 2 years ago so there is no rescind option. I would have never bought it as its week 3 and can never go that week with the kids being young. I do enjoy the extra options though. I also just released the unit into the pool so anyone who wants to go week 3 for 2 bdrm loft its out there right now. I will try to get in 8 months out now and see. It still makes it harder for anyone who does not own platinum season to get in so that's good maybe a chance this year. If not Ill just go some place else.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rog,

If you own in Bay Vista, it's a float week, and you probably paid a premium to have it set as a fixed week. It's a little strange though, because from recalling the price sheets, the fixed week options were Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and around the holidays if I recall. But I'm sure they would let you pay a premium to fix any week, especially when outside those in demand. The hillside units, as David has already pointed out, are all fixed weeks that have a less flexible float option.

My deed does say float but it is a fixed week, starwood pre-books it for me every year. I bought this 2 years ago so there is no rescind option. I would have never bought it as its week 3 and can never go that week with the kids being young. I do enjoy the extra options though. I also just released the unit into the pool so anyone who wants to go week 3 for 2 bdrm loft its out there right now. I will try to get in 8 months out now and see. It still makes it harder for anyone who does not own platinum season to get in so that's good maybe a chance this year. If not Ill just go some place else.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

This villa has 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs. One of the two bedrooms has two double beds and the other has a king. Master downstairs has a king. This villa also has a hot tub outside.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own in Bay Vista, it's a float week, and you probably paid a premium to have it set as a fixed week. It's a little strange though, because from recalling the price sheets, the fixed week options were Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and around the holidays if I recall. But I'm sure they would let you pay a premium to fix any week, especially when outside those in demand. The hillside units, as David has already pointed out, are all fixed weeks that have a less flexible float option.

Any week in Bay Vista section can be "fixed" for an upcharge. We fixed two of our WSJ Bay Vista weeks, the third floats. But Starwood can not exceed a certain percentage of weeks as fixed.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What confuses me - is how does one not know they bought a fixed week? It comes with a 10% premium AND it goes against the rog's vacations needs (a fixed week that doesn't fit)
So - is it really fixed? Sounds like it since it get prebooked - but careful there as I think UltraPremium can be pre-booked as well. But, it all comes at a cost.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we did not see on the contract it said fixed. Is says fixed in two places and float in another. We have just been turning the unit into options since we bought it and going other places as we can never go week three until the kids are older, but the good thing is that is premium week and we get 179kk options so I will just put it into the pool like I did today and try to get into another place there feb or april or just go some place else. I don't know if we did not listen to them or they just did not specify as we are elite status and all our weeks are float and we assumed this was also.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I guess we did not see on the contract it said fixed. Is says fixed in two places and float in another. We have just been turning the unit into options since we bought it and going other places as we can never go week three until the kids are older, but the good thing is that is premium week and we get 179kk options so I will just put it into the pool like I did today and try to get into another place there feb or april or just go some place else. I don't know if we did not listen to them or they just did not specify as we are elite status and all our weeks are float and we assumed this was also.

If you own a fixed week in Platinum Plus season, you can call to reserve another week 8-10 months out, which is still in Home Resort Reservation window. IOW, you technically aren't using SOs, but you will be limited to the season you own. If you want to change to a different season, you do have to wait until the 8 month Exchange window opens, and compete with everyone else.

From the UserGuide on MSC:

FIXED WEEK VOI OWNERS
Your Fixed Week VOI is tentatively reserved for you, pending confirmation during your Home Resort Fixed Priority Period, which is 12 to 10* months prior to the check-in date of your Fixed Week VOI. At 10 months prior to your check-in date, if you have not confirmed the reservation with Owner Services, it will be automatically cancelled. If the reservation is cancelled, you can still request reservations for an available Floating Week within your Season and Villa type at your Home Resort 10 to 8 months in advance of your requested arrival date, as available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you purchased a specific villa number, it will also be tentatively reserved with your Fixed Week VOI.

Now, if you own an event week, and you very well might (3rd week of January is MLK week) if you never have to call in and confirm, then you can call 8-12 months out and try to get a float week in platinum plus season before the exchange window opens.

EVENT WEEK VOI OWNERS
If you are an Event Week VOI Owner, you have a specific week which includes the event date automatically reserved for you each Use Year. Some Owners have also purchased a specific villa number. If you purchased a specific villa number, it will also be automatically reserved with your Event Week VOI.

If you plan to return to your Home Resort for your Event Week VOI, you never have to call Owner Services to confirm your reservation. Simply arrive at your Home Resort on your Event Week’s check-in date and enjoy the privileges of this exclusive ownership. Please note, your Event Week purchased is associated with a particular annual event at your Home Resort and therefore the event may not occur the same week number each Use Year. It is recommended that you contact Owner Services to verify the arrival date of your Event Week and let us know you will be using your Event Week.

Fixed, Ultra Premium, and Event VOI Owners, you have the option to float your VOI within your season and villa type 12 to 8 months in advance of any week within your purchased season at your Home Resort, or float your week to any Starwood Vacation Network villa resort within 8 months of the vacation period. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis, based on availability. If you have purchased a fixed villa and choose to float your week at your Home Resort, you release your use of your fixed villa as well

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
VGV BOD - March 2015 Letter to Owners

March 4, 2015

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:

As your elected representatives on the Board of Directors we participated by conference telephone call on February 12 in a quarterly meeting of the Board. This is our report to you.

THE RESORT

Mike Ryan, the General Manager of The Westin St. John Resort & Villas, reported on the state of the resort. Other than the waterfront area, most of the planned renovations to the resort have been completed. The Army Corps of Engineers has approved the planned repair to the dock area from the damage caused by previous years’ storms. Repair work will commence in April and will take approximately four months to complete. During that time, the Westin boats that customarily shuttle between the resort and Crown Bay, St. Thomas will instead dock in downtown Cruz Bay, with taxi service to the resort.

The refurbishment of the lobby was completed in June and keyed security gates to the resort and up the road to the Virgin Grand units are now operational. A sidewalk from the entrance to the resort area in front of the lobby has been constructed; Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO) has absorbed the cost of construction. SVO is also installing, at their cost, a concrete sidewalk on the villa side of the road from Virgin Grand to the St. John market area, as well as a retaining wall to improve the flow of storm water down the mountainside and through our property. The retaining wall will be about 3 feet high and will be textured and painted to match the exterior of our villas.

FINANCIAL STEWARDSHIP

Denny Seiber, the Director of Finance, presented the Treasurer’s Report which was as of December 31, 2014, stating that collection of the 2014 maintenance fees was 95.2%, reflecting a continuing recovery in the economy. There were 102 delinquent accounts of which 81 were in varying stages of the USVI foreclosure process. Last April’s resale of 63 foreclosed unit weeks resulted in 28 closed sales with $96,000 of sales proceeds to our Owners Association and, more importantly, a source of ongoing revenue from maintenance fees.

REPLACEMENT OF VIRGIN GRAND FURNISHINGS

A presentation was made by representatives of L2 Studios, Inc., the interior design firm that has done work for both Bay Vista and Coral Vista. “Soft goods” (i.e., upholstered items) are scheduled to be replaced in all units in 2015/16 and “case goods” (i.e., wood items) are scheduled to be replaced in buildings 31, 43 and 44 in 2016 and in the remaining buildings in 2021. The presentation included a color board showcasing both wood and fabric samples selected by L2 Studios, Inc. for durability and intended to capture a St. John “feel”. The Board approved the design scheme and color board, as well as the construction of a model unit for the 2016 case goods to be reviewed by the Board later this year. Bids for the soft goods renovation will be reviewed and approved during the April meeting of the Board. The anticipated costs of these replacements were previously provided for in our reserve plan.

STARWOOD MATTERS

Bruce McNish, Vice President of Board Relations, elaborated on Starwood“s announcement, made several days before our meeting, of its intention to spin-off its vacation ownership division, SVO, into a separate publicly traded entity. Click here to view the press release. Starwood contemplates that this will enable the new entity to add additional resorts to its network. The relationship between our condominium association and The Westin St. John Resort & Villas, and between The Westin St. John Resort & Villas and SVO, is not expected to change. We will continue to be branded as a Westin resort. SPG points will continue to be earned and honored as before, and owners will continue to have the privileged status in SPG that they enjoy as a result of their timeshare ownership. Starwood and the new public entity will enter into long-term affiliation agreements for the Westin brand experience and access to SPG. We inquired about the duration of the long-term agreements, but management was not able to give us that information; it is possible that they have not yet been entered into.

OWNER WEB BULLETIN BOARD

The Association’s President reported that our owner bulletin board has been well received. To date 613 owners have signed on as members and there are currently 193 listings (to exchange, sell, buy, etc.). The more owners use this web posting service the more valuable it will be, so we encourage owners to log on and use the system. For the convenience of owners, we again repeat the instructions for using it:
Secure access to the site is provided to Owners registered with MyStarCentral. Please follow the steps below.

I have a MyStarCentral account:
Visit starwoodvactionnetwork.com and click on 'Owner Login' in the upper-left corner of your screen.
Enter your Username or Email and your Password and click 'LOG IN'.
Hover your mouse over 'Owner Quick Links' in the upper-right corner of your screen and select 'MyStarCentral' from the drop down list.
Click on 'Your Owners Association' in the left-hand navigation menu.
Select a 'Westin St. John Resort & Villas - Virgin Grand' unit and click 'View the Details of this Ownership Week'.
Click on 'VGV Owner Posting Board' in the right-hand section of your screen.
I do not have a MyStarCentral account:
Visit starwoodvactionnetwork.com and click on 'Owner Login' in the upper-left corner of your screen.
Click 'REGISTER NOW'.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the online form.
Click 'Go directly to the StarCentral homepage'.
Click on 'Your Owners Association' in the left-hand navigation menu.
Select a 'Westin St. John Resort & Villas - Virgin Grand' unit and click 'View the Details of this Ownership Week'.
Click on 'VGV Owner Posting Board' in the right-hand section of your screen.
This will take you to the Association's website where you must read and accept the terms and conditions of the disclosure statement. You will then be taken to the homepage where you can sign up and create your member profile.

Please be aware that you must create a member profile and be logged in to create or view current listings. Just beneath the boxed message on the homepage, there is a link you may click on to view detailed instructions for use of the website. This detailed instruction document and the FAQ page can be accessed without logging in to the website.

There is one tricky part about logging in for the very first time. When you have followed the instructions above and get to the main page for our posting website, you will see this box:

User Login If you are registering for the first time on our bulletin board, DO NOT enter your email or password where it says to enter them. Instead, click on the words "New members click here to sign up." After you have signed up as directed, on return visits to the site you will enter your email and the password that you selected.

Also, a few Mac users have had difficulty signing in with Safari. If you use a Mac and have difficulty, try using Google Chrome.

PROPERTY TAX BILLS

The Association’s President informed the Board that the USVI Tax Office expects to provide the 2014 property tax bills very soon. March 2, 2015 update - the USVI tax office is in the process of printing the bills and SVO anticipates their receipt within a week or so. owners should begin receiving their property tax bills shortly thereafter. A 5% early payment discount will apply toward payments received by April 9, 2015. Payment must be made by August 31, 2015 to avoid late payment charges. Owners should monitor their email for more information on this matter from SVO.

ENERGY MATTERS

As we reported in prior letters, we continue to monitor the local public utility’s announcements concerning its intention to convert its generating equipment from diesel fuel to LPG. Such a conversion by the utility could affect our own consideration, as previously reported, to purchase co-generation equipment that, by utilizing LPG, would provide all of our remaining electrical needs (over and above that provided by the solar panels on the roofs of some of the Virgin Grand buildings).

REMINDER ABOUT MOSQUITOS

Both dengue fever and chikungunya have infected some humans on nearly every Caribbean island, including St. John, although the number of reported cases on St. John in recent years has been very low. Both diseases, which are spread by the day-biting Aedes mosquito, are serious ailments. While the resort sprays its foliage, treats its standing water, and has mosquito traps throughout the property to suppress the mosquito population, we nevertheless want to remind owners and their guests to use effective repellant, especially when they travel off the resort property.

ANNUAL OWNERS’ MEETING

The next annual owners’ meeting will take place at the resort on April 20, 2015. We encourage those of you who will be in St. John at that time to attend, when there will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the meeting.

Sincerely,

Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Robert H. Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVO is also installing, at their cost, a concrete sidewalk on the villa side of the road from Virgin Grand to the St. John market area

That's awesome. The walk was treacherous sometimes. This will be a welcome addition when we visit next year :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I found interesting that there appears to be a ~5% default rate, and only 28 of 63 VOIs at recent HOA sale have closed.

2021 (!!!) to wait for our building (and others) to get case-goods, yet others are getting them in 2016?

Westin Ferry going to CruzBay w/ taxi to WSJ for a while (that sucks - more reason to take car barge… :D)

No mention of lawsuit since original announcement?

IMO - the Owner website is seriously flawed. Oh well… nice intent.

I saw them laying concrete last year for the walkway - boy, they need some skilled labor… ;)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
What's the best way to take a trip to BVI and the Baths from STJ or STT?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's it like to get from st croix to STJ? Turns out I have a conference next summer in St.C and thinking I might head from there over to the Westin for vacation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What's it like to get from st croix to STJ? Turns out I have a conference next summer in St.C and thinking I might head from there over to the Westin for vacation.

Never done it, but you will need to fly (to STT, or to Puerto Rico then to STT) as StC is quite a distance from StJ/StT, and currently there is no ferry to StC.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never done it, but you will need to fly (to STT, or to Puerto Rico then to STT) as StC is quite a distance from StJ/StT, and currently there is no ferry to StC.

Ok thanks that's what I was wondering. I thought there was a ferry at one point but remembered it being cancelled or something.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks - that's a great idea. Lols like flights in June are as low as $60. The kids would love this!!

That looks really cool - got to try that someday.

You can do a same day visit or stay overnight at the really nice Marriott/renaissance hotel.
On my list as well....when you stay at the Marriott Frenchmens Cove, you see these planes take off and land. Very cool!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
not sure where czar is seeing $60 flights - I only see ~$110-$130pp one-way for seaplane flights
Added - I see those $60pp prices for regular (non-seaplane) flights

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
What's the best way to take a trip to BVI and the Baths from STJ or STT?

This has been a great thread. We just booked 8 days end of April at the resort using banked options, right place right time I guess. My wife saw a ferry schedule that showed round trip to baths $90 leaving at 8am and returning 3 pm.

A good option?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
depends… but you can get a charter for a few dollars more, and see more - w/less hassle.
I took the ferry over to JVD and back… fond memories of standing in the sweltering heat while waiting for the locals to get checked-in 1st, then hoofing it to a taxi just to get over to White Bay - and then worried about not getting back in time when taxi driver was late…

but other than that… :D

if you are staying at WSJ and looking to see the Baths - I would recommend Island Time (The Westin's boat). Never done it, but know people who have and were fine with it.
We generally charter or hire a private captain that takes us where we want to go, or places they know of off the beaten path.

The Baths are cool - I first saw them in 1991 while sailing the BVI. Since WSJ (2006) - we have been there 2 times. Each time by Charter. It really depends on what Spend you are comfortable with, and how you want to travel. We took Bad Kitty and had a great time, but had to share boat with a bunch of folks. Also took NH2, but no more V-bottom boats for us. The rules have just changed in the USVI in how many passengers can be in a boat (more loose now…) - so the ^-PAC rule has changed. I do not pretend to know the implications - but it will have effect.
Perhaps someone reading can better explain?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.