• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Express travel rewards

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I just got a CC offer from Amex for 50,000 points on $500 of purchase and fee free for the first year. Who do they partner with? Can you transfer to any airline? I am currently focusing on United FF miles. Can they tranfer the points to United?

Any advise or experience would be helpful. I have never used Amex before.

Thanks Turkel

dive-in

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
UA is not a partner in Membership Rewards. I've looked at transfering miles to fly on UA but the only way I could figure out was to transfer to Air Canada and then book a UA ticket. Not sure how that would work so I never tried it.

Some of the carriers that do participate are Delta, Southwest, Continental, JetBlue and some other smaller carriers. There are a couple of international carriers as well such as Virgin Atlantic, Air France, KLM, and Sinapore Airlines. Have you checked the Membership Rewards website?

I haven't transferred any yet, but I believe there is a fee to transfer into the FF and/or hotel programs. You might check on flyer talk as well.

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Starwood Amex card allows you to transfer to any airline point for point, no fee, with the exception of United. The transfer rate for them is 2:1 unfortunately but at least it's a way to do it. United also has FF miles on a Chase credit card and you get 21,000 miles after spending $250, first year fee-free, ($60 thereafter) and the points are $1:1.

abc31

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex also started a program where you can use your points to book any flight on any airline through Amex Travel. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but supposedly there are no blackout dates.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
The Starwood Amex card allows you to transfer to any airline point for point, no fee, with the exception of United. The transfer rate for them is 2:1 unfortunately but at least it's a way to do it. United also has FF miles on a Chase credit card and you get 21,000 miles after spending $250, first year fee-free, ($60 thereafter) and the points are $1:1.

I am currently using the chase card. I have racked up a little more than 50000 miles in less than a year. I was just wondering if the amex was too good a deal to pass up. I have checked the Amex site but the fine print which is pages and pages long was unclear to me.
Thanks Tuggers for all your help.
Turkel

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
I was just wondering if the amex was too good a deal to pass up.

Yes, it is.

Amex doesn't transfer to UAL, but 50k amex points are worth a lot.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
This has been around awhile but is not a FF site. Amex travel site/reservations lists varying airlines with pricing. As an Amex member you can use airline points to pay for the tickets or a portion plus cash. Pretty neat!

This is not a FF miles site. United is one of the airlines but not a partner airline. If wanting to book Southwest one needs to call a special #.

A newer different feature is the Amex Flight & Room Finder site which only has three airlines. Hawaiian, Air Tran and Virgin Atlantic. It shows points and is easy to use and you can link it to the related FF membership. I wish there were more partners because it's great.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex also started a program where you can use your points to book any flight on any airline through Amex Travel. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but supposedly there are no blackout dates.

I've done both where I've deposited my points into my FF miles account (delta) to get tickets, but since they went to the choice / saver seats where just about everything is 60,000 points, I started booking travel through AmEx Travel and turning my points into cash value towards my tickets. For what used to get me one FF ticket I can get credit that covers a ticket and a half, unrestricted. I can book with any airline any dates. They do charge a service fee $5-10 I forget which, same as most on line travel agents.

I also redeem points on ticketmaster. Gone to several ballgames for "free"

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks everyone for replying I guess I'll give it a shot.:D
Turkel

mdmbdumont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex Rewards

My Amex rewards points are 1500 points for 1 Southwest RR credits. That would be 33 Rapid Rewards credits which would be equal to 2 free Roundtrip airline tickets and you would be 1/3 of the way to a Companion pass.

This sounds like a very good deal.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Just got my latest Delta FF statement and it seems that Delta is doing something new for Amex Gold and Platinum Skymiles CC members in "an exciting new way to use miles." and use online Awards capabilites".

I am wondering if they are going to become part of the Amex Flight & Room Finder Amex/alliance to use FF miles online.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Just applied on-line with the code they sent me and I should have my card in 10 days.

The best news is my husband just got the same offer today. So I'll be signing him up too. That will be 100,000 Amex points to spend btw the 2 of us. That should get this family of 4 some nice tickets.:whoopie:

Turkel