• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina trading power

darly2004

Reaction score
My husband and I are contemplating a Ko Olina purchase. We don't mind staying at the resort if we have to, but would like the option of exchanging from time to time. I guess I just assume that Ko Olina has good trading power, but would like to confirm prior to our purchase so we are not surprised. Most likely it will be an ocean view studio portion of the unit. Thanks!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Is there a resort or place you think you will visit often? If you buy into a high
end resort there it would probably trade into Ko Olina and have cheaper
maintenance fees. If your not going to use the Ko Olina, I don't think it should
be bought as a trader. The MF's are too high.

darly2004

Reaction score
Oahu would be our first choice to visit, so the timeshare would definitely be used by us. However, there may be a chance that we may want to exchange into something else or possibly use the studio portion to trade.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If your going to go there most of the time or trade off the studio part, your
benefit to owning there will be your unit/view and when you can book.
If you just want to go to Oahu or Ko Olina and the unit/view isn't that important,
there are cheaper routes to go.

If you want to go to Hawaii every year, it could work for you.
I love going to Hawaii every year.:D

darly2004

Reaction score
If your going to go there most of the time or trade off the studio part, your
benefit to owning there will be your unit/view and when you can book.
If you just want to go to Oahu or Ko Olina and the unit/view isn't that important,
there are cheaper routes to go.

If you want to go to Hawaii every year, it could work for you.
I love going to Hawaii every year.:D

I should probably clarify that we would be buying a biennual week. Would love to go to Hawaii every year, but the pocketbook probably would not like it :p The MF is definitely high, but we are comfortable with every other year, with the possibility of trading the studio from time to time. We just want to make sure we can trade the studio for something else in the Marriott system (or even outside of it).

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should probably clarify that we would be buying a biennual week. Would love to go to Hawaii every year, but the pocketbook probably would not like it :p The MF is definitely high, but we are comfortable with every other year, with the possibility of trading the studio from time to time. We just want to make sure we can trade the studio for something else in the Marriott system (or even outside of it).

For anything beyond 59 days, the Hawaii Marriott Studio can be exchanged for another studio, unless the desired resort only has one bedroom or two bedroom units. This reduces the amount of options significantly.

If you are flexible and can wait 59 days or less before your trip begins, then you will be more happy trading your studio for a larger unit. You will also be happy if you are ok trading a studio for a studio. Keep in mind that almost any Marriott property will see the same inventory your Ko Olina studio will see within 59 days (flexchange). Therefore, as previous posts mentioned, you may save on maintenance fees by purchasing elsewhere.

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are contemplating a Ko Olina purchase. We don't mind staying at the resort if we have to, but would like the option of exchanging from time to time. I guess I just assume that Ko Olina has good trading power, but would like to confirm prior to our purchase so we are not surprised. Most likely it will be an ocean view studio portion of the unit. Thanks!
When you talk about trading, I assume you're looking to lock off the studio and occupy the 1BR? If so, I can attest to the superior trading power of the studios. As an EOY owner, I have traded my lockoff four times. Three snagged 2BRs (David Walley's Tahoe, Westgate Park City and Grand Timber Lodge Breckenridge). The fourth was a 1BR in Lake Harmony PA, no coup, but we wanted something "near" New Jersey. Note, in II you need to either look through available listings (rather than making a request), or do a request to a place offering only units larger than the studio. They won't let you request a 1BR or 2BR at a resort with studios available. However, I've been pleasantly surprised to see how often a 2BR is available for the Ko Olina trade.

darly2004

Reaction score
When you talk about trading, I assume you're looking to lock off the studio and occupy the 1BR? If so, I can attest to the superior trading power of the studios. As an EOY owner, I have traded my lockoff four times. Three snagged 2BRs (David Walley's Tahoe, Westgate Park City and Grand Timber Lodge Breckenridge). The fourth was a 1BR in Lake Harmony PA, no coup, but we wanted something "near" New Jersey. Note, in II you need to either look through available listings (rather than making a request), or do a request to a place offering only units larger than the studio. They won't let you request a 1BR or 2BR at a resort with studios available. However, I've been pleasantly surprised to see how often a 2BR is available for the Ko Olina trade.

This is exactly what we would do. We want to lock off the studio, use the one bedroom side, and trade the studio. How do you look through the available listing in II? Obviously, I have not joined since we don't own yet. Do I still deposit the week? Is there an option to look at all the places available? We would be flexible with where to go most of the time.

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
My examples of MKO trades

Hello,

I own Ko Olina mountain view and have been happy with it. Technically my friend and I bought a year and we use it a different way. On even years I get the 1BR portion he the studio. We swap that on odd years. Here are some examples of what I have done with this unit.

Bought in 04

05 - Occupy
06 - Traded 1BR for 1BR
07 - Occupy
08 - Deposited 1BR and got AC. Traded A/C for Aruba Surf Club 1BR May 08
09 - Gave buddy my 09 studio. Traded 08 1BR deposit for 2BR Frenchmans Cove.
10 - Buddy gave me is 2010 Studio. Occupied 2BR Ko Olina
10 - Buddy could not use his 08 Studio deposit. I traded it for November Waiohai 2BR
11 - Once again buddy could not use his 09 studio. Traded it back in to Ko Olina for 2BR ocean view.

I like Hawaii and Ko Olina. Yes. The maint fee's are high. But I know I can go to Ko Olina any year I wish and not have to worry about working the system for a trade. Some will find that too costly. I find it convenient.

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score

I own 2 weeks at the Ko Olina. Each year since 2006 we have been able to do the following:
  1. Book the 1 bedroom portion for the date we want.
  2. Look out for and with one exception (in 2007 I think) uptrade to a 2 bedroom on our preferred check in date. This is done in flexchange.
  3. lock out and trade the studio portions into Interval.
  4. Exchange the studio for at least a one bedroom and usually a 2 bedroom somewhere else. Sometimes we have gotten our trades in advance but most of our best trades have admittedly been in the flex change period.

Places where we have traded the studios have included Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, Maui Ocean Club in the new towers, Hyatt Highlands Resort and the Marriott resort by Eurodisney (D'Ile de France or something - the name escapes me).

Bottom line is that for about $3,400 in maintenance fees per year on two weeks we have gotten four weeks in a 2 bedroom, sometimes with all four weeks being in Hawaii, other times with two of the weeks being on the mainland. I can almost always trade a studio into Newport Coast Villas and if you amortized the maintenance fees of $3,400 into two weeks in Hawaii and two weeks at Newport Coast it comes up as a great deal, cheaper than if we purchased 4 weeks at Newport Coast Villas for sure.

By the way, we also love Ko Olina and would be completely fine staying there for our two weeks (four if we lockout) every year if Interval and/or the DC club went away. That is an important consideration, as you want to buy where you are comfortable staying each year if necessary.

Last edited:

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what we would do. We want to lock off the studio, use the one bedroom side, and trade the studio. How do you look through the available listing in II? Obviously, I have not joined since we don't own yet. Do I still deposit the week? Is there an option to look at all the places available? We would be flexible with where to go most of the time.
The way I've done it is to lock off; reserve the most desirable studio week I could find (using the Vacation Club points charts is helpful to target the best trading weeks); then deposit the week into II. At that point, you can hit the exchange tab, and select a date range you find attractive. The site will then ask you what week you want to exchange, and then show you availability around the world for the date range you've selected. If you're flexible as to times and destinations, you can often score something really nice. If you have a specific place or week in mind, then a formal exchange request would be needed; in that case you're limited to a studio/studio exchange unless the resort you want only offers larger units.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Bottom line is that for about $3,400 in maintenance fees per year on two weeks we have gotten four weeks in a 2 bedroom, sometimes with all four weeks being in Hawaii, other times with two of the weeks being stateside.

They call it mainland, not stateside. Hawaii is a state.

Last edited:

darly2004

Reaction score
Hello,

I own Ko Olina mountain view and have been happy with it. Technically my friend and I bought a year and we use it a different way. On even years I get the 1BR portion he the studio. We swap that on odd years. Here are some examples of what I have done with this unit.

Bought in 04

05 - Occupy
06 - Traded 1BR for 1BR
07 - Occupy
08 - Deposited 1BR and got AC. Traded A/C for Aruba Surf Club 1BR May 08
09 - Gave buddy my 09 studio. Traded 08 1BR deposit for 2BR Frenchmans Cove.
10 - Buddy gave me is 2010 Studio. Occupied 2BR Ko Olina
10 - Buddy could not use his 08 Studio deposit. I traded it for November Waiohai 2BR
11 - Once again buddy could not use his 09 studio. Traded it back in to Ko Olina for 2BR ocean view.

I like Hawaii and Ko Olina. Yes. The maint fee's are high. But I know I can go to Ko Olina any year I wish and not have to worry about working the system for a trade. Some will find that too costly. I find it convenient.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. So, I am assuming that you were able to use the '08 studio in '10 because it was deposited into II?

I own 2 weeks at the Ko Olina. Each year since 2006 we have been able to do the following:
  1. Book the 1 bedroom portion for the date we want.
  2. Look out for and with one exception (in 2007 I think) uptrade to a 2 bedroom on our preferred check in date. This is done in flexchange.
  3. lock out and trade the studio portions into Interval.
  4. Exchange the studio for at least a one bedroom and usually a 2 bedroom somewhere else. Sometimes we have gotten our trades in advance but most of our best trades have admittedly been in the flex change period.

Places where we have traded the studios have included Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, Maui Ocean Club in the new towers, Hyatt Highlands Resort and the Marriott resort by Eurodisney (D'Ile de France or something - the name escapes me).

Bottom line is that for about $3,400 in maintenance fees per year on two weeks we have gotten four weeks in a 2 bedroom, sometimes with all four weeks being in Hawaii, other times with two of the weeks being on the mainland. I can almost always trade a studio into Newport Coast Villas and if you amortized the maintenance fees of $3,400 into two weeks in Hawaii and two weeks at Newport Coast it comes up as a great deal, cheaper than if we purchased 4 weeks at Newport Coast Villas for sure.

By the way, we also love Ko Olina and would be completely fine staying there for our two weeks (four if we lockout) every year if Interval and/or the DC club went away. That is an important consideration, as you want to buy where you are comfortable staying each year if necessary.

We definitely do not mind going to Hawaii every couple years if we have to. It is nice to know that people have been able to trade out to some nice places though. Good to know about Newport Coast Villas. We have family close to there that we usually stay with, but a change in scenery would be nice :D

The way I've done it is to lock off; reserve the most desirable studio week I could find (using the Vacation Club points charts is helpful to target the best trading weeks); then deposit the week into II. At that point, you can hit the exchange tab, and select a date range you find attractive. The site will then ask you what week you want to exchange, and then show you availability around the world for the date range you've selected. If you're flexible as to times and destinations, you can often score something really nice. If you have a specific place or week in mind, then a formal exchange request would be needed; in that case you're limited to a studio/studio exchange unless the resort you want only offers larger units.

So, you can book a different date for the studio? It does not have to be the same date that you are occupying the one bedroom? So, if I buy a biennual even years and stay in the one bedroom in 2012, can I book a 2013 date for the studio portion? Is the points chart accessible somewhere?

Thank you again everyone for your thoughts. You have all been very helpful :)

ETA: after looking at all available Marriott resorts, we are probably interested in the ones in Williamsburg, Boston, any of the ski places, Vegas, Orlando, Hilton Head, Phuket (I am Thai, so we go to Thailand every few years), and possibly Europe ... basically almost anywhere. Anyone with experiences trading into these places, please feel free to chime in!

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experiences. So, I am assuming that you were able to use the '08 studio in '10 because it was deposited into II?

We definitely do not mind going to Hawaii every couple years if we have to. It is nice to know that people have been able to trade out to some nice places though. Good to know about Newport Coast Villas. We have family close to there that we usually stay with, but a change in scenery would be nice :D

So, you can book a different date for the studio? It does not have to be the same date that you are occupying the one bedroom? So, if I buy a biennual even years and stay in the one bedroom in 2012, can I book a 2013 date for the studio portion? Is the points chart accessible somewhere?

Thank you again everyone for your thoughts. You have all been very helpful :)

ETA: after looking at all available Marriott resorts, we are probably interested in the ones in Williamsburg, Boston, any of the ski places, Vegas, Orlando, Hilton Head, Phuket (I am Thai, so we go to Thailand every few years), and possibly Europe ... basically almost anywhere. Anyone with experiences trading into these places, please feel free to chime in!

Do keep in mind that the one in Boston at the Custom House contains only one bedroom units, so if space in Boston is an issue you will want to keep that in mind.

Best of luck with your search.

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score

:)

Your every other year unit enables you to reserve two separate weeks (for a fee). Both must be in your usage year. However, once you have reserved that 2012 studio week and traded it into II, you then have a two year window to use the week. So, your 2012 week could be traded to a 2013 or even 2014 week. As to exchange possibilities, you will find trades into prime ski weeks and Hilton Head summer weeks the most difficult to do. It is unlikely that a studio will uptrade for either, although a studio/studio ski trade might fly. Williamsburg should be very possible as well as Vegas and Orlando. I don't really know what's up with Phuket. Point charts are accessible to owners through the vacationclub.com website. I've also seen links to them through TUG.