• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owning Vacation Club Points For $6.13 Per Point

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Further analysis of bundled resales

I became curious which Marriott resales offered the lowest cost per point based on the bundled concept. Below is a small sample after checking resale prices from the Marriott website and checking them against their corresponding point redemption values:

Barony 2BR/OF/Bronze….. $3000/1100pts………$2.73/point
Barony 2BR/GV/Plat……… $16700/3475pts……$4.80/point
Barony 2BR/OF/Silver…….. $7100/2300pts…..…$3.09/point

Beach Place 2BR/xx/Plat….. $15600/3225pts……$4.84/point

Boston 1BR/xx/Plat…………. $13000/2950pts……$4.41/point

Grande O 2BR/OF/Plat……... $31900/5025pts……$6.35/point
Grande O 2BR/OS/Gold…….. $12800/3325pts……$3.84/point
Grande O 2BR/OS/Bronze.….. $2900/775pts…….…$3.74/point

Grande V 3BR/xx/Plat…….... $12600/3725pts……$3.38/point
Grande V 2BR/xx/Plat…...….. $8900/2775pts….…$3.20point
Grande V 1BR/xx/Plat……..... $5000/1850pts……$2.70/point

Manor seq 2BR/xx/Plat…….... $9500/2375pts……$4.00/point

Ocean P 2BR/OS/Gold…….... $10900/2750pts……$3.96/point
Ocean P 2BR/OF/Plat……….. $18300/5375pts……$3.40/point

Of course, you would then need to buy an equal amount of trust points at
approx $11 per point.

From this brief analysis, it seems that Grande Vista and Ocean Pointe seem
to be the best values.
Thoughts?

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

price drops to about $10/pt when you throw in $$$ incentives tahtstart with 3000 pt purchases..This makes the bundle price between $6.50 and $7.5o pt. The best deal depends on the owners plans for the deeded week...

Of those listed GV 3 bedroom plat probably the best trader with HHI 2 bedroom plat just behind....3 bedroom GV is a lock off though!!! 2 weeks foir same MF's...

I do believe II trades will diminish overtime!!! (if not already) I would go for the unit that the owner would most likely occupy and hold some value OP or HHI plat might be the best bet there!!! I would vote for HHI plat...

My buddy went for the Barony OF plat+ 5000 pts combo... snug in under $7/pt with a OF Barony to boot!!!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
good morning....

price drops to about $10/pt when you throw in $$$ incentives tahtstart with 3000 pt purchases..This makes the bundle price between $6.50 and $7.5o pt. The best deal depends on the owners plans for the deeded week...

Of those listed GV 3 bedroom plat probably the best trader with HHI 2 bedroom plat just behind....3 bedroom GV is a lock off though!!! 2 weeks foir same MF's...

I do believe II trades will diminish overtime!!! (if not already) I would go for the unit that the owner would most likely occupy and hold some value OP or HHI plat might be the best bet there!!! I would vote for HHI plat...

My buddy went for the Barony OF plat+ 5000 pts combo... snug in under $7/pt with a OF Barony to boot!!!
Puck
isn't it afternoon? or are you in Hawaii now? ;)
I agree with you in this case, better to buy where you will go instead of just a pure trader.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon....

the atomic clock took a snooze....
good ol' puck took a skating lesson this morning...
too many backwards crossovers....
need to work on my left over right backwards c-overs...
forward c-overs and puckhandling dramatically improved...

very leery to just play the II trading game..if the devaluation of AC's is any hint of the future...

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Is it correct that this combo promotion requires the trust point purchase at ~$11/pt to be equivalent to the same number of DC pts as the resale week chosen?

IE.

Resale Purchase Barony 2BR/GV/Plat: 3475pts = $16,700
Equivalent DC Trust Purchase Required: 3475pts = $38,225 ($11/pt)
TOTAL = $54,925 (6,950 pts for ~7.90 per pt)

Correct?

Also, how did you find the DC pt values?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Is it correct that this combo promotion requires the trust point purchase at ~$11/pt to be equivalent to the same number of DC pts as the resale week chosen?

IE.

Equivalent DC Trust Purchase Required: 3475pts = $38,225 ($11/pt)
TOTAL = $54,925 (6,950 pts for ~7.90 per pt)

Correct?

Yep and the points are supposed to be going up to $11.40 according to the sales rep yesterday. I couldn't remember what date it was he said

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep and the points are supposed to be going up to $11.40 according to the sales rep yesterday. I couldn't remember what date it was he said

New price fo points go up tomorrow. Apparently they won't know exactly what it will be until tomorrow morning when they come in.

Current price per point is $11.16.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

That's is the approx current points price They will go a litter lower depending on the amount of pts purchased. For 3500 pts, you could probably get them for around $10/point

IE.

Equivalent DC Trust Purchase Required: 3500pts = $35000 ($10/pt)
TOTAL = $51700 (6,975 pts for ~7.41per pt)

Correct?

Greg T's website
http://gtibbitts.tripod.com/

hope this helps

and ps: don't forget the closing costs!

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

And keep in mind they started out at $9.20 per point when they began the DC Club with a 1000 pt min purchase. I gotta give them credit for their success so far.

Kdjk5467

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are killing me. I had just about made up my mind for certain that it would be OK for me to buy two OW weeks instead of points. Can't we just get out the crystal ball and tell me how the whole points -v- weeks will work out in 10 years?? I too had a nice spreadsheet with $/pt figures for these bundles.

I had to do some back and forth with a sales rep to find the number of points I would get for enrolling some of the weeks offered by Marriott for resale because I did not know about that list from Greg..

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
You guys are killing me. I had just about made up my mind for certain that it would be OK for me to buy two OW weeks instead of points. Can't we just get out the crystal ball and tell me how the whole points -v- weeks will work out in 10 years?? I too had a nice spreadsheet with $/pt figures for these bundles.

I had to do some back and forth with a sales rep to find the number of points I would get for enrolling some of the weeks offered by Marriott for resale because I did not know about that list from Greg..

If you like MOW and would be happy going there, I would not hesitate to buy there. :D
You can always get points at another time, they are not going anywhere.
I could have bought a 1000+ at $9.20 but I'm happy I didn't.

Last edited:

Kdjk5467

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like MOW and would be happy going there, I would not hesitate to buy there. :D
You can always get points at another time, they are not going anywhere.
I could have bought a 1000+ at $9.20 but I'm happy I didn't.

There we go. Much better. I've been reading this forum for some time now and I can not stop hearing The Dude's voice every time I read your posts. Sometimes it makes it a little weird. Do I really want to take his opinion? Hmmmm he does know how to relax!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
There we go. Much better. I've been reading this forum for some time now and I can not stop hearing The Dude's voice every time I read your posts. Sometimes it makes it a little weird. Do I really want to take his opinion? Hmmmm he does know how to relax!

I also like,you know,abide man.
now if they would put bowling alleys at all the marriotts.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't we just get out the crystal ball and tell me how the whole points -v- weeks will work out in 10 years??

CRYSTAL BALL SEARCH RESULTS- 10 year forward look

Legacy owners who converted------------------------------------Extremely happy campers
Legacy owners who converted and bought trust points---------Very happy campers
Trust owners-------------------------------------------------------Happy campers
Legacy owners who could have but have not yet converted----Unhappy campers
Legacy owners not eligible to convert----------------------------Miserable campers

Now for the last two groups, don't take this too seriously.

Kdjk5467

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legacy owners not eligible to convert----------------------------Miserable campers

Stop that! I resemble that remark.

When I mentioned that I wanted to buy a smaller points package with a resale week from Marriott, the sales guy I have talking to said: "They will not allow a smaller package of points to enroll. They actually recently increased the amount of points to enroll a resale week. If anything, that option will go away." That sounds plausible to me.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Stop that! I resemble that remark.

When I mentioned that I wanted to buy a smaller points package with a resale week from Marriott, the sales guy I have talking to said: "They will not allow a smaller package of points to enroll. They actually recently increased the amount of points to enroll a resale week. If anything, that option will go away." That sounds plausible to me.
Like, what was the smallest points package they would sell with a resale week, man?
This aggression will not stand!:mad:

Kdjk5467

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like, what was the smallest points package they would sell with a resale week, man?
This aggression will not stand!:mad:

According to my guy, for now it is as others have said. Buy the same number of election points (or more, they like more too) that you would get for electing to enroll that week. In the past, you could have bought as "few" as 2,500 http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167354.

BTW, are all the late July, early Aug weeks at MOW spoken for at this point? Even if I now acquire a deeded week there?
Sorry for the thread drift...

Last edited:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took Jont's work and added the 2011 mf cost/pt from GregT's list. Ocean Point plat OF seems to be a winner based on buy in cost and ongoing mf/pt.

...............................................................Cost/pt........mf/pt
Barony 2BR/OF/Bronze…... $3000/1100pts………$2.73/point…..$0.91/pt
Barony 2BR/GV/Plat……..… $16700/3475pts……$4.80/point…..$0.29/pt
Barony 2BR/OF/Silver….….. $7100/2300pts…..…$3.09/point…..$0.44/pt

Beach Place 2BR/xx/Plat….. $15600/3225pts……$4.84/point…..$0.32/pt

Boston 1BR/xx/Plat…………. $13000/2950pts……$4.41/point…..$0.39/pt

Grande O 2BR/OF/Plat……... $31900/5025pts……$6.35/point…..$0.21/pt
Grande O 2BR/OS/Gold…….. $12800/3325pts……$3.84/point…..$0.33/pt
Grande O 2BR/OS/Bronze.. $2900/775pts…….…$3.74/point…..$1.40/pt

Grande V 3BR/xx/Plat…….... $12600/3725pts……$3.38/point…..$0.33/pt
Grande V 2BR/xx/Plat…...….. $8900/2775pts….…$3.20point…..$0.34/pt
Grande V 1BR/xx/Plat……..... $5000/1850pts……$2.70/point…..$0.36/pt

Manor seq 2BR/xx/Plat…….... $9500/2375pts……$4.00/point…..$0.41/pt

Ocean P 2BR/OS/Gold…….... $10900/2750pts……$3.96/point…..$0.46/pt
Ocean P 2BR/OF/Plat……….. $18300/5375pts……$3.40/point…..$0.25/pt

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
According to my guy, for now it is as others have said. Buy the same number of election points (or more, they like more too) that you would get for electing to enroll that week. In the past, you could have bought as "few" as 2,500 http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167354.

BTW, are all the late July, early Aug weeks at MOW spoken for at this point? Even if I now acquire a deeded week there?
Sorry for the thread drift...

so if i want to buy a resale week worth a 1000 points, i will still have to buy 2500 trust points to get enrolled in the DC?

that's a bummer!

Kdjk5467

TUG Member
Reaction score
so if i want to buy a resale week worth a 1000 points, i will still have to buy 2500 trust points to get enrolled in the DC?

that's a bummer!

Oops, i wasnt thinking. No, if the week you are buying would net 1,000 pts when enrolled, you need only buy 1,000 points. I wanted to buy a valuable resale week from Marriott (say the Ocean P 2BR/OF/Plat worth 5,375 in your example) and still just get the smallest number of points (the current 1,500 minimum).

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops, i wasnt thinking. No, if the week you are buying would net 1,000 pts when enrolled, you need only buy 1,000 points. I wanted to buy a valuable resale week from Marriott (say the Ocean P 2BR/OF/Plat worth 5,375 in your example) and still just get the smallest number of points (the current 1,500 minimum).

Are you already a Marriott owner? I thought the minimum purchase for a non owner was 2500 pts?

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

My partner got exactly what he wanted... He wanted a HHI summer oceanfront week and also wanted to be a point player!! He snagged Barony OF summer and has a point package of over 10K points (1/2 Legacy 1/2 Trust) My partner loves summer beach but doesnt want to be locked into II and 7 day stays...

He has booked his 2013 HHI week for July occupancy and has used the 5000 Trust points for a spring break Lakeshore stay with his famiy and used the rest towards our Ritz Carlton Vail trip in February...

Yes, he paid more for the HHI week than thru traditional resale market, but he has the both of all the time share world. His total MF's for the package about $3300 less than the $4200 if he had just purchased Trust points (10K). This package came at about $6.90/pt.

He also snagged about 350,000 MR points.... with travel packages...this could snag a value of close to $5K ( 4 FC plane tix) perhaps 4 coach to Europe...when combined with the 1,000,000 pts he already has...

Being a point player, really helps him because we have a consortium in our practice of 4 current DC members... we can pool our resources just as we did when we combined for a 2 and 3 bedroom at Ritz Carlton Vail next February!!!

I believe (as u said) that Trust pts> Legacy pts but only slightly....

bottom line, after explaining to him all of the options my partner made a decision and he is happy!!!!

Well, that $5k in perks sounds nice, but ... isn't that really just a return of principal? That is, Marriott got $70K from your friend, and handed back $5 as an incentive. So really, he invested $65k. For that, he got a Barony plat OF purchasable on Redweek for $14K (I just checked). Therefore, he's spent about 50K for those 5000 Trust Points. Sounds pretty much like $10/a point. So where's the savings?

His 10,000 combined points (using the 5000 Barony allowance, after the 500 point skim and the 5000 purchased points) would get him a two prime 2BR weeks at most resorts at peak periods. For that, he's paying $3300 in maintenance fees, and something like $3500 in opportunity cost (money his $70,000 would have earned invested in a nice long-term bond at 5%). That's $485/night.
If he had bought two Barony legacy weeks on the open market for $28,000, his yearly costs would be $2400 in maintenance fees, with an opportunity cost of $1400, a total of $3800, or $271/night. Is the vaunted flexibility of the Vacation Club worth an extra $200+ per night? Just askin!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Again....

not every one can play in weeks..for some the mixing and matching of long short stays, exact dates times are invaluable. My partner for his 5000 trust points snagged 5 nites 3 bedroom Lakeshore during spring break... contributed to the Vail RC ski trip and has points left over..

The debate on this thread is not points or bundle package v. resale weeks.. The OP's original thoughts were using the bundle package as a discounted entry into points....

my partners purchase gives him 10 k pts (1/2 legacy 1/2 trust) at an entry fee of just under $7/pt with the guarantee of an OF Barony plat forever...

for some the exact dates, times and flexibilty of points is priceless!!!!

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Again....

not every one can play in weeks..for some the mixing and matching of long short stays, exact dates times are invaluable. My partner for his 5000 trust points snagged 5 nites 3 bedroom Lakeshore during spring break... contributed to the Vail RC ski trip and has points left over..

The debate on this thread is not points or bundle package v. resale weeks.. The OP's original thoughts were using the bundle package as a discounted entry into points....

my partners purchase gives him 10 k pts (1/2 legacy 1/2 trust) at an entry fee of just under $7/pt with the guarantee of an OF Barony plat forever...

for some the exact dates, times and flexibilty of points is priceless!!!!

Ah, poetic exaggeration (four exclamation marks!). Really though, you wouldn't spend $1 million for those choice weeks, would you?

You don't actually mean priceless, you mean valuable. And in this case, the value added is worth a 75% nightly premium? Personally, I'd be willing to hunt around a bit to save $200 each and every night I stay at a Marriott VC. Maybe you friend would too.

But thanks for scolding me about going off topic. I'm sure there's a TUG rule somewhere ...