• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have About 1 Hour Left to Cancel Timeshare

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I certainly wouldnt want to go to Aruba every other summer but isnt that what RCI is for?

Yes but that would probably be another $200 in exchange fees. So then you would be looking at about $1200 for years you are going to exchange and use your 57000 rci points and $1000 when staying in Aruba. In both instances you could probably rent for close to the same amount possibly with the exception of a Disney studio but if you are looking for points to stay at Disney you can do it for much less.

Don't be fixated on finding something in Aruba unless you plan on staying there most of the time. If you will be exchanging at least half of the time then look to someplace with lower MF's relative to trading power or RCI points.

RCI platinum cost $59 per year. They recently downgraded some of the benefits. I just barely thought it was worth $55 per year (last year's price) before they downgraded the benefits. I won;t renew unless I need more than 3 guest certificates in one year. Are they paying the platinum upgrade for one year or forever? I doubt forever so that is a $59 benefit.

As to the bonus weeks sometimes they are hard to use and have additional restrictions that make them harder to use. So it is hard to judge the value. If you saw rentals for around $1000 the most they are worth is $2000 if you are going to use them.

Havok10

Reaction score
Don't be fixated on finding something in Aruba unless you plan on staying there most of the time. If you will be exchanging at least half of the time then look to someplace with lower MF's relative to trading power or RCI points.

RCI platinum cost $59 per year. They recently downgraded some of the benefits. I just barely thought it was worth $55 per year (last year's price) before they downgraded the benefits. I won;t renew unless I need more than 3 guest certificates in one year. Are they paying the platinum upgrade for one year or forever? I doubt forever so that is a $59 benefit.

The RCI Platinum was stated as forever a $2000 value over the 40 years.. ($1995 to be exact)

"If you will be exchanging at least half of the time then look to someplace with lower MF's relative to trading power or RCI points."

Is that what made this deal particularly bad only getting 57K points every other year since the ratio was 1.5 cents per point? If they had offered 100K points for the same $815 along with the incentives. Would it not be so bad? As I said on Redweek an owner is asking $3800 resale. I certainly havent found anything at that resort for $1500 or less.

The reason I was somewhat fixed on Aruba is that if RCI points devalue over time and I was stuck going there (or sending friends and family) it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Points are like a currency -- say the US Dollar. With using the RCI as an currency exchanger, RCI points with an exchange fee can be used at other resorts.

I own RCI Points but my HOME RESORT is Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort. I get 66,000 point for a MF of $860 (Best Season # of points). FLBR is part of the VRI Home Group and I get priority booking at those resorts by 1 month using my RCI Points.

I can book (as I have a lookoff) either side of my unit (studio for 2 persons or 1bdr for 6 persons) at NO EXCHANGE COST or do another Week at the FLBR for $40 online.

It is a resort I enjoy and book both my own week, another PRIME week or use the points to exchange elsewhere.

Just my experience,

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We feel that an RCI Point/cost ratio of under a penny apiece is a worthy deal. TUG wisdom is also that one's (at least) first TS should be (a) a place they would enjoy going to- or at least not mind at least half the time. and (b) should be a place they can drive to if necessary. That way, if the (or your) economy should tank, you can still pile the family in the car and have a good vacation. You are not beholden to airlines, their fuel prices and schedules, or your ability to secure FF seats to get there.

I'm glad you rescinded, though I have some misgivings (and lack of trust) of using email exclusively to do it. You don't have proof of your sending it or proof that they received it.

If, after you have researched, and fully understand the product, and it turns out you have 'seller's remorse', the Aruba deal will still be there.

Welcome to TUG.

Oh, and if you are planning on doing a bunch of exchanging, consider parting with $15 to join TUG. it will give you access to reviews of thousands of resorts by TUGgers like us. One 'great un known' resort exchange makes up for the cost of a lifetime of choosing a resort by throwing darts.

Jim

Last edited:

Havok10

Reaction score
We feel that an RCI Point/cost ratio of under a penny apiece is a worthy deal. TUG wisdom is also that one's (at least) first TS should be (a) a place they would enjoy going to- or at least not mind at least half the time. and (b) should be a place they can drive to if necessary. That way, if the (or your) economy should tank, you can still pile the family in the car and have a good vacation. You are not beholden to airlines, their fuel prices and schedules, or your ability to secure FF seats to get there.

I'm glad you rescinded, though I have some misgivings (and lack of trust) of using email exclusively to do it. You don't have proof of your sending it or proof that they received it.

If, after you have researched, and fully understand the product, and it turns out you have 'seller's remorse', the Aruba deal will still be there.

Welcome to TUG.

Oh, and if you are planning on doing a bunch of exchanging, consider parting with $15 to join TUG. it will give you access to reviews of thousands of resorts by TUGgers like us. One 'great un known' resort exchange makes up for the cost of a lifetime of choosing a resort by throwing darts.

Jim

I would certainly pay the $15 to here and Redweek just for the knowledge alone.

BTW I did get an official confirmation letter of the rescention. It stated they will process the refund minus the $250 application fee and 3% as stated in the docs. So it really was that simple. Divi Pheonix does seem like a classier operation. Without RCI you can always trade into any of their resorts such as in of Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, St. Maarten & St. Croix.

Thanks Jim.. As you state the deal will be there in the future if I decide and with more knowledge I can probably negotiate even more! Im sure if I called them and said I want to buy again they would be happy to fax me docs right away... ;)

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good that they have acknowledged it. Sorry they are not actually 'rescinding' (making the sale as if it never happened), but that's the Dutch system. Not so long ago, there was NO cooling off period there.

Another word (of a few of them) about using RCI Points (I am a member and use them too) It isn't like you have this stash of points and just dole them out willy-nilly to exchange all over the place. Not only is there the annual $90 membership- without a discount for multi-years. There is the $209/$219 (phone) to make an exchange (every exchange). So if you have a fairly nice bundle of points, say 100,000, and plan on 3 exchanges a year, you are looking at whatever the MF is ($1000ish isn't unreasonable) the $90 membership, and almost $700 in exchange fees. Plus possible housekeeping on short stays, AI fees, not to mention transportation.

If you are fortunate enough to have a flexible schedule and can travel off- or shoulder season, the RCI, Last Calls are great. Not so much at prime time. These are usually good (not top shelf) TSs that are just trying to fill rooms- or provide fodder for a sales staff. You won't find much on school holidays, or ocean front, or ski-in/out places, but for under $300 cash, no points required, and no exchange fees, they are a great deal.

Jim

Havok10

Reaction score
Good that they have acknowledged it. Sorry they are not actually 'rescinding' (making the sale as if it never happened), but that's the Dutch system. Not so long ago, there was NO cooling off period there.

Another word (of a few of them) about using RCI Points (I am a member and use them too) It isn't like you have this stash of points and just dole them out willy-nilly to exchange all over the place. Not only is there the annual $90 membership- without a discount for multi-years. There is the $209/$219 (phone) to make an exchange (every exchange). So if you have a fairly nice bundle of points, say 100,000, and plan on 3 exchanges a year, you are looking at whatever the MF is ($1000ish isn't unreasonable) the $90 membership, and almost $700 in exchange fees. Plus possible housekeeping on short stays, AI fees, not to mention transportation.

If you are fortunate enough to have a flexible schedule and can travel off- or shoulder season, the RCI, Last Calls are great. Not so much at prime time. These are usually good (not top shelf) TSs that are just trying to fill rooms- or provide fodder for a sales staff. You won't find much on school holidays, or ocean front, or ski-in/out places, but for under $300 cash, no points required, and no exchange fees, they are a great deal.

Jim

They certainly didn't make that clear. It was explained that there was a $124 yearly fee, first year covered, and an undisclosed fee to turn the week into points. But didnt know that every time you use the points there is a fee.

Yes it did cost me about $500 but I had a problem with a hotel I was staying at and as part of signing up for the timeshare I got them to give me 3 nights free. That would have cost me $800-900 anyway, so the $500 loss was still a deal. I have a 3 year old son, so we would probably only be doing one vacation a year, which is why I only wanted the every other year timeshare, it seemed like I could stretch the points to a vacation every year and maintenance per year was very low.

Obviously most people are timeshare owners here and make it work.. I just have to figure out how to extract the value even if my best bet is just to rent peoples weeks. When you rent a week and you need more space can the owner usually secure it. Like I had a 1 BR (max 4 occupancy) and for $300 they said I could add the adjoining room making it 8 occupancy. With a young child(ren) going on vacation, its useful to bring some extra help.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't recind by email. Check you papers how to do it properly.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is also a chance that when the process the refund they may look at those three nights, charge you rack rate and deduct that from the $7000 as well. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Havok10

Reaction score
You can't recind by email. Check you papers how to do it properly.

I can scan the papers as proof. Email or fax is the only way. And I received a confirmation letter by email.

There is also a chance that when the process the refund they may look at those three nights, charge you rack rate and deduct that from the $7000 as well. Hopefully that won't be the case.

I thought about that but do not think they can do it. I did not sign any paperwork in relation to the 3 night stay. It was a handshake agreement. I cant see them charging me as I would dispute the charges. I didnt sign any paperwork stating I had to keep the timeshare to keep the days credited. It wasn't written into any docs.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can scan the papers as proof. Email or fax is the only way. And I received a confirmation letter by email.

I thought about that but do not think they can do it. I did not sign any paperwork in relation to the 3 night stay. It was a handshake agreement. I cant see them charging me as I would dispute the charges. I didnt sign any paperwork stating I had to keep the timeshare to keep the days credited. It wasn't written into any docs.

Good. I would hate to see the work done, but the wrong method and it doesn't work out. Best of luck and I hope everything works out.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Report back if they try to charge. If I were you I would certainly dispute but being that it is a different country with different laws I wouldn't just assume I would win the dispute. Does the contract that you signed mention anything else about benefits you received prior to cancelling the contract? You are not rescinding. Rescinding means to make it like it never happened. You are cancelling a contract within an allowed time period paying a cancellation fee.

Hopefully it all works out. If you take 3-6 months to research what you want and what you can get, I think you should be able to save at least $3000-4000 upfront (even including your $500 loss) and get something that is 1.5 to 2 times better in terms of point per MF $.

Although RCI can adjust points they don't do this in the RCI points resorts that often or that much. The devaluation is more likely to come in the raise in you MF without getting any additional points so your 50,000 points would still get you 50,000 in RCI but you may be paying $1500 in MF and more in RCI membership fees and exchange fees instead of the $1100 you were paying when you started.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Havok10, Aruba is my favorite caribbean island and I usually spend 3 and sometimes 4 weeks there each year. I own at 3 different resorts, the Phoenix being one of them. My first purchase was way before I discovered TUG and paid full developer price, my second was thru EBay and paid $1 and my third (the Phoenix), I actually got for FREE from a TUG member in Bargain Deals.

Glad you rescinded. Do a daily search on EBay for Aruba Timeshares. I see great deals all the time. Welcome to TUG.