• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

College Football Playoff Predictions!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's getting more interesting for me now that Ohio State is #6.

Do they have a chance at beating any of the five teams ahead of them?

Of course they do.

Ohio State needs some of the upper ranked teams to lose. Their schedule is going to be a weak selling point. I see them as the last team out of the mix in the end.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ohio State needs some of the upper ranked teams to lose. Their schedule is going to be a weak selling point. I see them as the last team out of the mix in the end.

I think it is the loss that will hold ohio state back. Their MSU win is big as well as their WISCO win will be if they both win out till then. MSU has the best 2 losses in the country. But no real win.

I do think if Baylor, TCU and ohio state win out Baylor is the most deserving as it will have the best win (TCU). But TCU has the best loss (baylor) and OSU won a conference championship game. But TCU and Balyor in a conference championship game and the winner gets in by a landslide over ohio state.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I'm not all that sure that Ohio state will win out and I'm thinking if they do some of the teams ahead of them may falter. That's what's making it interesting.

If they beat Michigan, I won't have any complaints.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is the loss that will hold ohio state back. Their MSU win is big as well as their WISCO win will be if they both win out till then. MSU has the best 2 losses in the country. But no real win.

I do think if Baylor, TCU and ohio state win out Baylor is the most deserving as it will have the best win (TCU). But TCU has the best loss (baylor) and OSU won a conference championship game. But TCU and Balyor in a conference championship game and the winner gets in by a landslide over ohio state.

If TCU and Baylor win out won't Baylor be the Big 12 Champ (due to the head to head)? if so then they would be first in line with three top 25 wins and a conference championship, TCU would be next with 4 (count em) top 25 wins but no conference championship (the head to head with Baylor would count as well) and Ohio state would be third with 2 top 25 wins and their own conference championship.

Unless the committee sees conference championships as more important than top 25 wins - then Ohio St. would be second.

Any of the three would depend on Mississippi State losing the egg bowl.

Clear as mud - isn't it? :wall:

Like I said first we need an eight team playoff.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If TCU and Baylor win out won't Baylor be the Big 12 Champ (due to the head to head)? if so then they would be first in line with three top 25 wins and a conference championship, TCU would be next with 4 (count em) top 25 wins but no conference championship (the head to head with Baylor would count as well) and Ohio state would be third with 2 top 25 wins and their own conference championship.

Unless the committee sees conference championships as more important than top 25 wins - then Ohio St. would be second.

Clear as mud - isn't it? :wall:

Like I said first we need an eight team playoff.

I would pick Baylor but they would be co champs. Baylor with the head to head win. In the past a 3 way tie would mean the highest BCS ranked team would be the conference champion representative.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think that's the question. If MSU wins, do they get the fourth spot? The fourth spot while assuming Florida St, Oregon, Alabama retain theirs.

So, that means the fourth spot is up for grabs between MSU, Ohio St, and TCU/Baylor. I think MSU keeps it, because of the stronger schedule - (yes, that "stronger" schedule is because of the SEC admiration by all).

I know some on here believe that MSU won't get it, but I definitely don't see it that way.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would pick Baylor but they would be co champs. Baylor with the head to head win. In the past a 3 way tie would mean the highest BCS ranked team would be the conference champion representative.

Wait, doesn't the big 12 advertize "the one true champion" BECAUSE they don't have a championship game - the team with the best conference record is it?

How would "co champs" square with that?

Diabolical :wall:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a question for those of you who follow college FB more than I do. We all speculate about how things will work out if this or that happens next.

I'd like to know what you think it would look like if Ohio State had won that game against VA Tech by say 10 points?

Their freshman QB was just finding his way around due to Miller being injured before game 1 and I think the committee is taking that into consideration, otherwise I don't think they'd be at number six.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
definately curious to see where miller ends up next season, apparently if he graduates he can transfer to any other D1 school without having to sit out a season.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeing how Georgia Tech clinched their half of the ACC last night, I went and looked at their schedule. They're 9-2 with two narrow losses to Duke and UNC. Makes me really wonder where they'd be in this whole playoff deal if they were undefeated. On the one hand, they'd be undefeated. OTOH, they'd have what's considered a weak schedule with no real quality wins but, then again, they play in the same conference as FSU..............

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
OTOH, they'd have what's considered a weak schedule with no real quality wins but, then again, they play in the same conference as FSU..............

So, what's your point? :hysterical:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, what's your point? :hysterical:

Not so subtle, huh? :D

Basically, I was wondering how much team bias there is on top of the conference bias. There's little doubt in my mind that TCU and Baylor would be treated differently this year if they were Texas and Oklahoma.

I'd just love to see Indiana, Kentucky, Wake Forest, Kansas and Washington State go undefeated in the same year. I bet emergency legislation would pass to immediately move to an 8 team playoff. :hysterical:

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not so subtle, huh? :D

Basically, I was wondering how much team bias there is on top of the conference bias. There's little doubt in my mind that TCU and Baylor would be treated differently this year if they were Texas and Oklahoma.

I'd just love to see Indiana, Kentucky, Wake Forest, Kansas and Washington State go undefeated in the same year. I bet emergency legislation would pass to immediately move to an 8 team playoff. :hysterical:

I think I see team bias for Notre Dame every year. They finally took themselves out of the discussion this year. I did make a few bucks betting against them when they recently played in the title game. They didn't belong there then and they are not ready yet.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add that a currently undefeated defending national champion has definitely earned any bias that comes their way. :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add that a currently undefeated defending national champion has definitely earned any bias that comes their way. :)

I have no problem with FSU. They earned the respect they're being given even though they haven't been nearly as dominant this year. But that doesn't change that there is a pecking order of preferred teams within each conference. I doubt there's a media outlet that doesn't hope for UND, Bama, USC and OSU in the playoffs on a recurrent basis.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
certainly not an unreasonable theory at all, that teams with the biggest fan base would be given higher rankings etc etc.

I had actually thought Duke was a stronger than they seemed or were ranked team...till they straight up laid an egg at UNC last night.

then again UNC had shown signs of life during the season as well.

its probably because the ACC is such a tough conference to play in, and the teams just beat themselves up playing in conference all year! :rofl:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
its probably because the ACC is such a tough conference to play in, and the teams just beat themselves up playing in conference all year! :rofl:

Undoubtedly! :D

Funny thing is I noticed that the Sun Belt teams were all beating each other up in conference games as well.

We may be on to something.............. :)

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each college football team is allowed 85 scholarships by the NCAA.

So....

The fact is any time you have one group of 85 or so individuals compete against 85 or so other individuals - there will always be a certain amount of unpredictability - it's the nature of such events.

Now when you have yet a different group of 85 or so compete against yet another group of 85 - it gets REALLY hard to predict how well they would compete against the first group of 85 that they HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED - so we use statistics and experts and "gut foolings er, feelings" to help us predict, and we hope we are right.

On any given Saturday any group of 85 that were good enough to get a scholarship to a legit program should have at least a sluggers chance to win against the other group of 85 in front of them.

You know, unless that other group is coached by Nick Sabin :rofl::rofl::rofl:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Each college football team is allowed 85 scholarships by the NCAA.

So....

The fact is any time you have one group of 85 or so individuals compete against 85 or so other individuals - there will always be a certain amount of unpredictability - it's the nature of such events.

Now when you have yet a different group of 85 or so compete against yet another group of 85 - it gets REALLY hard to predict how well they would compete against the first group of 85 that they HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED - so we use statistics and experts and "gut foolings er, feelings" to help us predict, and we hope we are right....:

And that is why I was happy without a playoff system of any kind.

The powers that be saw a cash cow in the field and they wanted to milk her. They will keep milking her until she is dry.

They will will field teams that they think will bring in the most money and will justify their choices the way many of you have pointed out. North is correct for finding this team but south is correct for finding the next, all in the same breath.

We will get 2 playoff games worth watching and that's the bottom line.

It's like the media, they will not let facts get in the way of a good story.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If OSU keeps up this nonsense against Indiana and manages to squeak by, they will not keep their #6 spot.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clemson lost to #1 Auburn the very same year the Ducks did and they lost to Georgia a few years later - and they always seem to find a way to loose to South Carolina (SEC East).

Sure Clemson has won against four mostly unranked SEC teams in the last five years - but that doesn't give you the right to imply that their record is somehow "better" than the Ducks simply because they play the SEC much more than the Ducks do.

Won against four mostly unranked SEC teams? They beat #7 LSU in the Peach Bowl followed by beating a Georgia team ranked in the Top 10 to begin last season. That made them the first and only non-SEC team EVER to beat 2 Top 10 SEC teams back to back! Georgia didn't end the year in the Top 10 as they were ravaged by injuries by the end of last year, but they didn't have those injuries when Clemson played them. The LSU team they beat in the Peach Bowl was a legitimate Top 10 team that has a bunch of players off that team now playing in the NFL.

They also gave that NC Auburn team their closest game of the year! That game was at Auburn and it went to OT and we lost when our kicker (Chandler Cantanzaro who now kicks in the NFL for the Cardinals) missed a chip shot field goal in OT. That's actually the only clutch kick that kid ever missed in his college career.

Yes, South Carolina has had our number the last 5 years, but all South Carolina has to do now is win for the next 23 straight years to TIE the all time series!

I'm actually fairly realistic when it comes to Clemson Football. I think they're decent and would have a fairly decent shot to beat most teams on any given Saturday, but they also have the ability to get blown out as well. Oregon fans IMO seem to buy into the hype a lot and think they're team is the "best team ever" and they're shocked when a team manhandles them and is able to slow them down.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that's the question. If MSU wins, do they get the fourth spot? The fourth spot while assuming Florida St, Oregon, Alabama retain theirs.

So, that means the fourth spot is up for grabs between MSU, Ohio St, and TCU/Baylor. I think MSU keeps it, because of the stronger schedule - (yes, that "stronger" schedule is because of the SEC admiration by all).

I know some on here believe that MSU won't get it, but I definitely don't see it that way.

The BIG unknown is how the committee is going to value a conference championship!? We don't know because it hasn't come into play yet. In the end I actually think it will be a big factor. I think OSU will get the 4th and final spot if they win out because they'll have that added conference championship game win against a presumed Top 25 team. I think a lack of a Big 12 Championship game will in the end hurt TCU and Baylor because calling them co-champs just sounds and feels kinda lame.

Ole Miss getting blown out today by an average at best Arkansas team was absolutely devastating to MSU! Now when and if MSU beats them it may actually drop Ole Miss completely out of the Top 25! :eek:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
8 refs on the field and noone threw a flag, including the one involved.

why would he be suspended? I realize the world hates this kid, but man...yall are grabbing at straws to throw him under the bus for anything.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fun facts of the day for folks on the "FSU doesnt play anybody and barely wins"

beating a 4 loss team by 10 points, a 5 loss team by 1 point, another 5 loss team by 14 points, needing overtime to beat a 4 loss team, and losing to a 3 loss team.

but no, this isnt FSU's record....its the "complete team, number 1 ranked in the nation" Crimson Tide.

Ole Miss getting blown out today by an average at best Arkansas team was absolutely devastating to MSU! Now when and if MSU beats them it may actually drop Ole Miss completely out of the Top 25!

and if alabama beats auburn...that will make:

ole miss
auburn
texas a&m
south carolina
LSU

all at one point being ranked in the top 10 (and most within the top 5)....being unranked with 3 or more losses at the end of the season.

Last edited: