• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] How do you feel about retailers promoting and being open on Thanksgiving?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My plans? Stay at home and enjoy the day off from work. Same as what I do every year. I really don't understand all the hype -- most of the loss-leader / doorbuster stuff is off-brand crap that no one really needs. I can find most anything else online at similar prices.

Kind of like the Boxing Day sales we have here.:ponder:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
My poor husband lost his good HR job and is working Best Buy part time to supplement unemployment. They are making him work 40 hours including Thanksgiving- so he's working for free in order to keep his job. I will miss him.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I understand that you'll miss him. But I really don't think they are making him work Thanksgiving for free. I believe if he wants to keep his job that he has to work Thanksgiving, yes. But FOR FREE? Not a chance.

Fern

My poor husband lost his good HR job and is working Best Buy part time to supplement unemployment. They are making him work 40 hours including Thanksgiving- so he's working for free in order to keep his job. I will miss him.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Working Thanksgiving

When I was a child, oh so many years ago, stores weren't open on Thanksgiving. Or Sunday's. Or nights. But times change, and people's lifestyles change.

I worked for a transit agency for 27 years. I worked every Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I wewe willing to sell my soul for the devil I could have had holidays off, but I would have had to work a less desirable shift year round, something I wasn't willing to do.

I knew that it was expected of me, and they did pay me extra for the holiday, which I expect most, if not all, companies do.

As far as family dinner, when Jerry also was working, my MIL cooked, and they held dinner for us.

Fern

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm off to work seeing my patients. I hope they don't boycott me! :D

Wherever you may be and whatever you may be doing, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Same thing for me this year! I'll be working a minimum of 4 hours tomorrow and I'm on call to boot, so it may be worse then that depending on what comes through the ER.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was a child, oh so many years ago, stores weren't open on Thanksgiving. Or Sunday's. Or nights. But times change, and people's lifestyles change.

I worked for a transit agency for 27 years. I worked every Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I wewe willing to sell my soul for the devil I could have had holidays off, but I would have had to work a less desirable shift year round, something I wasn't willing to do.

I knew that it was expected of me, and they did pay me extra for the holiday, which I expect most, if not all, companies do.

As far as family dinner, when Jerry also was working, my MIL cooked, and they held dinner for us.

Fern

Fern, I really enjoy your well thought out and wise posts! You're a real treasure here on TUG!

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I'm working tomorrow I'll give thanks that I won the birth lottery and was born in the country with the best economy and wonderful freedoms that allow me to work and support my wonderful family! I'll still get time to spend with them tomorrow. It's all good!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Go Seahawks!

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy thanksgiving to all Tuggers! Enjoy the holiday and be thankful as you see fit.

The holiday of Thanksgiving is historically a time where people from different cultures and families (indigenous tribes of north America and European families) came together to give thanks to God for the bounty of this land and the friendships that helped them survive harsh times. It was a religious holiday. During the day of thanksgiving the only work that was done was the work to prepare the feast. On thanksgiving we are historically and essentially thankful to God. When one thanks God, one is not concerned with anything except spiritual matters.

Our commercial society has changed that around. Many today are forced to work on this holiday or lose their job. Celebrating and thanking God for what we have doesn't enter the equation. We must work and do what we must do to keep our jobs. This wasn't necessary even 5 years ago. Only recently have the big chains required people to work so the executives and shareholders can make an extra few bucks. This denial of peoples right to commune with God and their families in the fullest manner (not a few hours late) is cynical, cheap, and disgusting in my opinion. It is a denial of their workers humanity at the deepest level. Work or be fired! I will never shop at a store that is open on Thanksgiving. There is no deal that is good enough to make me support their horrendous actions.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the stores were smart they would make working on Thanksgiving voluntary and pay those who work double time (I think some do). They should then post a sign saying "Everyone working today is a volunteer and is being paid double time". Would be great public relations.

George

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
He made a stand and knew the consequences.

He worked for his bosses. He did not work for his employees.

I think it's admirable that he thought the decision to open was wrong but in he end he is not the one in a position to make that decision.

If he continues to blatantly disobey his future superiors he will be doing a lot of job changes throughout his career.

So many individuals do not understand that simple statement "You work for your bosses. You do not work for your employees.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
So many individuals do not understand that simple statement "You work for your bosses. You do not work for your employees.

That is true but there is the flip side of the coin.

Employers, supervisors, etc., need to keep their employees happy. It's not good for business when employees come to work in a foul mood. I know it's not an excuse, but if they are in a foul mood because they were "forced" to come in to work at an undesirable time, they might be easily irritable and take their frustrations out on a customer who happens to be, shall we say "hard to please".

As well, happy employees tend to stay longer at their employment whereas unhappy ones quit. This causes high employee turnover. Many supervisors and bean counters will tell you that high employee turnover is not good and very costly. There is the process of constantly recruiting and training new employees.

Of course, I'm not saying "Kiss your employees' a***s and let them dictate when they work", but I'm just saying that keeping employees happy can go a long way.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is true but there is the flip side of the coin.

Employers, supervisors, etc., need to keep their employees happy. It's not good for business when employees come to work in a foul mood. I know it's not an excuse, but if they are in a foul mood because they were "forced" to come in to work at an undesirable time, they might be easily irritable and take their frustrations out on a customer who happens to be, shall we say "hard to please".

As well, happy employees tend to stay longer at their employment whereas unhappy ones quit. This causes high employee turnover. Many supervisors and bean counters will tell you that high employee turnover is not good and very costly. There is the process of constantly recruiting and training new employees.

Of course, I'm not saying "Kiss your employees' a***s and let them dictate when they work", but I'm just saying that keeping employees happy can go a long way.

I think employees need to be treated with compassion. We are all human beings. Employees are not robots or tools. It is in my view immoral to treat employees poorly. That includes paying them poorly, poor working conditions, threatening , harassing etc. etc. Large corporations, meaning the executives and shareholders that own them often treat employees as if they are not human beings. Increased profits and bonuses is not an excuse for immoral behavior.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
As a person who works retail during the holidays, for the most part I don't mind it and know it is expected. That being said, I think it is getting ridiculous. Stores opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving is nicer than ones opening up at 2am or 4am a few years back. You can still enjoy a family day and then go to work or if you don't work -shop. I think opening early not only makes it a little more difficult for employees - again not SO bad that I have to be there at 5:30 for a 6pm opening. It is really bad for those who are looking for the limited quantity bargains. They need to be in line sometime between 2-4pm at the latest for a 6 pm opening. They are the ones that are really losing out on the family time.