• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hello [Kahana Falls - profitable rental?]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
O>K> Look like this thread is not closed yet; I do not know what TPU is all I know is 42 weeks banked.
Please look at the 2 threads above, for an explanation of TPU and banked weeks.

share012

TUG Member
Reaction score
He has been banking them since 2011; the account says 41 weeks are to expire in 12-2014. I am trying to get 2014 deposited so I can pay $109 under combine Your deposits so then the travel window will open up to 2years. My friend is deceased and RCI explained that the weeks and membership would extend to me.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So you already inherited this timeshare?

I don't know the rules about inheriting an RCI Acct., but RCI strictly prohibits renting exchanges, so you won't be about to use the deposits for rentals. You can use them for your own vacations, or gift exchanges to friends and family.

*Sometimes, people do rent exchanges to friends or family, "under the table," and if they are careful, they are unlikely to get caught, because they make sure their friends and family understand that they can't disclose that it's a rental.

However, people who advertise RCI exchange for rent on the internet, and rent to strangers, are far more likely to get caught, because their renters may rat them off - either intentionally, or unintentionally. If that happens, RCI can close your account, and confiscate all your fees paid, and deposits, and exchanges - not worth the risk.

I'm not sure how he could make 41 deposits since 2011, unless other timeshares were also deposited in this account?

Last edited:

share012

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM, it is complicated as far as the inheritance; I can only explain what I see on the website when I log in (attorney gave me log in) that he has 41 weeks. I imagine his deposit is worth more than 1 week??? I have no idea RCI is designed to be a maze of confusing information. It just states 41 weeks not points. I have no intention of doing something shady like renting them under the table. RCi said the weeks are transferrable to me.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If this is an RCI deposit, the weeks he deposited will convert to points called Trading Power Units (TPU.) You use the TPU's like currency to make exchanges with RCI.

Exchanges can range from around 5 TPU to 60 TPU maximum. The average for nice resorts is in the 20-40 range.

There is a yearly RCI membership fee of around $100 per year, and there is an exchange fee for each exchange - around $200 per exchange.

To keep all these TPU's from expiring, you will have to continue depositing the week and combining the TPU, often enough to keep them from expiring. (Like every 2-3 years.)

share012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise M That is what I am trying to work on They were supposed to deposit week for 2014(even though I will lose 50% or so exchange) then I will pay for the 2 Year extension.
If all work out according to Hoyle; otherwise if I do not get the extension with the 41 weeks I do not think I want the timeshare. It is really the perks I am looking at.

share012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have to sign off for now check with everyone tomorrow; have a good evening

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please let it know how it works out! Once it's all in your name, we can help you with exchanging.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Denise M That is what I am trying to work on They were supposed to deposit week for 2014(even though I will lose 50% or so exchange) then I will pay for the 2 Year extension.
If all work out according to Hoyle; otherwise if I do not get the extension with the 41 weeks I do not think I want the timeshare. It is really the perks I am looking at.

You do not have 41 weeks banked. Most likely you have 41 TPUs remaining in the account, which will expire unless more weeks/TPUs are deposited into the account and combined with the current TPUs.

As Denise said, 41 TPUs could be used to exchange 1-2 weeks on average .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most likely you have 41 TPUs remaining in the account, which will expire unless more weeks/TPUs are deposited into the account and combined with the current TPUs.

As Denise said, 41 TPUs could be used to exchange 1-2 weeks on average .

That might explain it…I can't figure out how there could be 41 weeks, unless the previous owner owned a LOT of timeshares.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

41 TPUs is really not enough of a perk to take that timeshare, even if it extended to 2080, at least not until you better understand timeshares, TPUs, maintenance fees, etc. Free timeshares will be around six months from now. If you take the time to thoroughly research, my guess is that the timeshare you "buy" six months from now will not be the one you are considering inheriting today.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I agree with Denise. You probably should not take this ts unless you actually like staying there.

Another consideration are special assessments for updates and repairs.

For $1300 you could just rent a ts in many areas without the hassel of owning a ts.

Bill

share012

TUG Member
Reaction score
all I know is that when I log on to the account; I either put in weeks or points. Points does not work. Weeks does and states 41 weeks to expire 12-31- 2014. I am trying to get RCI to bank 2014 so I can extend two years. He has been banking since2011.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know it's really confusing, but "weeks" and "points" designates two different kinds of trading systems with RCI. It does not mean you have 41 weeks deposited.

41 is the number of Trading Power Units in the account.

In the weeks system, the value of a deposit is called Trading Power Units (TPU.)

In the points system, the value of a deposit is called points - but your deposits aren't in that system.

To confirm this, call RCI and ask them if you have 41 weeks, or 41 TPU.

41 TPU is enough for 1 or 2 exchanges.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
41 TPU is enough for 1 or 2 exchanges.

It can also be enough for several more than that if one is a value traveler and okay with going to Grandview in Vegas during one of their sales or Branson in the dead of winter or something like that.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True - but the OP was talking about trading back into Hawaii.