• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points Ongoing Search for DVC

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this board and I'm looking for some advice about the best way to structure an ongoing search w/ RCI Points to get into DVC. My parents have very generously offered to use their points to try and exchange into DVC for the last 2 weeks of August (week 33 & 34). There will be 8 of us travelling (4 adults and 4 grandkids ages 5-14). Ideally, we'd love to get a 2 BR villa at The Wilderness Lodge for those 2 weeks, but realize that may not be possible so we'd be open to other DVC resorts as well. Our check-in dates are a little somewhat flexible (Thurs, Fri or Sat possibly even a Sunday check-in, but that would mean we may have to end our vacation a day early). I have an ongoing search set up for a 2BR for 8ppl for ANY Disney property for 8/13-2/29. I'm not sure I've structured the search correctly. After reading some others posts, I think this would only match 1 week max?? I think I need to do 2 of these searches, one for each week of our stay? Also, I would like a search(es) that would return a 1BR and a studio at the same property (our priority is staying an property at the same resort, but our rooms don't necessarily have to connect) as an option. Is this possible, can anyone provide assistance on how to do this? My parents have a cap of 240,000 points to use for this year, so opting for 2 weeks in 2 separate 1 bedrooms would put them over by 5,000 points even at the lower priced resorts. Is it possible to rent the point difference, and if so any idea how much 5,000 points would cost? They both retired in the last year :cheer:, so they want to make this trip to Disney with their Grandkids a special one, as it will probably be their last time going there! I appreciate any help you can offer. TIA

Also, I should add that we'd be totally open to switching DVC resorts mid stay too.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
borrowing points from rci is $0.02 per point so 5000 points would be $100.

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's great to know that's an option for us. Thanks for responding so quickly!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you want to get two weeks (14 days) for 8 people at Disney. Is that correct? For that, you will need two separate searches, one for week 33 and one for week 34. If you want to raise your chances by searching for a one-bedroom plus a studio for each week, rather than a two-bedroom for each week, you'll need four searches.

IIRC, ongoing searches in Points only match inventory deposited by RCI Weeks. So, you will need to check online as well as do the ongoing search. (If I am wrong about this, hopefully someone will correct me.)

The last two weeks of August is one of the easiest times to get an RCI trade into DVC. So, that is in your favor. However, Wilderness Lodge has only a small number of DVC units, making it a tough trade. You are more likely to get Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

If you get a studio plus a one-bedroom, Disney will probably be able to get you two adjoining units. You need to ask in advance, though, and I'm not sure what the procedure currently is. I would call DVC as soon as you get a match and ask.

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes JudyS, that's right, we're hoping to match for 8 people and a 14 day stay. Thanks for the tips on how to accomplish that. Maybe we'll get lucky and get VWL for one of the weeks. I know the 4 boys travelling with us would love that property! Can you explain what "ongoing searches in Points only match inventory deposited by weeks" means? I'm new to all of this and trading through RCI isn't exactly straightforward ;)

Last edited:

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
One additional question. If we set up an ongoing search online, how do we get notified of a match? My mom said she got an email confirmation saying she'd be notified within 21 or 28 days? Don't they email or call you right away with a match, so it can be released asap if you don't want it? That seems like an awfully long time to wait. TIA

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Info needed on RCI points exchange into DVC

Hello, I'm trying to assist my parents who are trying to trade into DVC using their RC points. They had hoped t find a 2 BR for 2 consecutive weeks, but were matched with (2) 1 bedrooms for the 2nd week of their stay (still waiting for a match on the 1st week). My mom called RCI with a question about something else and they told her if we book (2) 1BR units for 2 weeks, they would pay 4 exchange fees and 4 DVC fees. Furthermore, they are telling her the exchange fee on the (2) 1 br we were matched with would be $219 (which is the phone exchange fee for weeks). We set up our search in POINTS ONLINE! According to RCI's 2015 Fee schedule, the exchange fee should be $169 for a reservation of 7+ nights. The phone rep claims the OGS look through both points and weeks inventory and we were matched with a weeks unit. She said this happens when you trade into DVC, if my mom wanted to exchange into a non-dvc property the exchange fee would only be $169. This makes no sense to me, my parents have both weeks and points (3 timeshares) and I can see that the DVC inventory is different in weeks & points. Has anyone run into a similar issue. We are looking for advice. TIA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Shelb14 - you have multiple threads going about this exchange - please post all further comments and questions in this thread, rather than starting new ones.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We set up our search in POINTS ONLINE!

Is that really possible? When I had RCI points, there was no way to set up an ongoing search. RCI points was only whatever was available online. If I wanted to search, I had to do it in weeks.

Also, remember in addition to the exchange fee, you'll have to pay $95 DVC fee when you check in for each reservation.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
You can now do ongoing searches from an RCI Points account, but it only searches Weeks inventory, not Points inventory. And when booking Weeks inventory, the RCI Weeks exchange fee applies.