• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thank you TUG! Saved $20k with RCI

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
When that happened to us, I could not trust RCI to assign the same number of TPU and they even changed them after I deposited; ( and also since their exchange fee kept going up)thus, we seldom use RCI.

I recall that you were using Wyndham and assumed you were supplementing those points with RCI Last Calls, etc. What else do you use to keep your costs down?

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My comment was based on the understanding that Weeks deposits from properties that participate in RCI Points are omitted from RCI Points searches. Say I own a week at Palm Beach Shores, and I've never paid the $3,000 they charge to convert that week into the Points system. I can deposit that week as an RCI Weeks member, and nobody who's searching with RCI Points will see it because Palm Beach Shores (the Resort itself) participates in RCI Points?

The RCI Points website used to list RCI Weeks availability (restricted as above, and looking up to two years forward) separately from its RCI Points availability (looking only ten months forward). Now as far as I can tell they're lumped together so its hard to tell what's what.

But I just searched Palm Beach Shores (#4856) in RCI Weeks and found 77 units. Then I searched Palm Beach Shores (#4856) in RCI Points and found 358 units. Does this make me wrong about how the system works currently? Are Points people allowed to see Weeks deposits from Points-participating properties nowadays?

It seems that we are able to see them all now. I was looking at resorts in Carlsbad CA which are all points resorts and I was able to see all the weeks inventory. I was waiting until 10 months out before booking as the exchange fee for points is less. Ended up having to book it as a week because there was no points inventory available for the week I wanted. I do know that not long ago you had to call if you wanted to check weeks availability at points resorts.

Lynn

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP please keep on sharing the word about this web site. That Knowledge is Power about buying and owning a timeshare.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It seems that we are able to see them all now. I was looking at resorts in Carlsbad CA which are all points resorts and I was able to see all the weeks inventory. I was waiting until 10 months out before booking as the exchange fee for points is less. Ended up having to book it as a week because there was no points inventory available for the week I wanted. I do know that not long ago you had to call if you wanted to check weeks availability at points resorts.

Lynn

Lynn, even though they are listed as RCI points, I don't believe they ever sold RCI points. This is the way most developer controlled non RCI points, points resorts are listed with RCI. The Carlsbad resorts are managed by Hilton and Hilton can deposit inventory on the points side or the weeks side. Unlike true RCI points that come available at 10 months, Hilton can deposit points inventory at any time. So it makes it harder to predict and use. If it had been deposited at points inventory then it would have had the lower weekly fee. This would be the same for Wyndham, DVC, Bluegreen, and others.

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So even if they are managed by GPR they are still part of Hilton?

Lynn

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think that the units that you see deposited as points are those that are associated with Hilton. The weeks inventory can come from HGVC or non HGVC inventory.

http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/california/

I could be mistaken but I don't believe rci points were ever sold directly by GPR.

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
I recall that you were using Wyndham and assumed you were supplementing those points with RCI Last Calls, etc. What else do you use to keep your costs down?

We very seldom use RCI. And I will repeat that - we very seldom use RCI

We have to plan so far out that Last Calls don;t work for us - and the Extra Vacation offerings have not worked for us either - either too much $$ or poor choices for us.

Neither do we find that the Wyndham-RCI Portal is cost effective for us since it takes so many Wyn points and adds the RCI exchange fee on top of that.

We supplement our owned stays with weeks deposited in Platinum Interchange, DAE, or SFX, and use their bonus weeks to advantage and therefore pro=rate our MF to 1/2 or 1/3