• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Smoky Mountains

howery

Reaction score
How long do you have to cancel your contract.. and when is to late.. is there any other way out of it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How long do you have to cancel your contract.. and when is to late.. is there any other way out of it?

You usually have 3-5 days after signing the contract - that info. is in your purchase documents.

After that time, your options are very limited:

-Offer the deed back to the timeshare in lieu of foreclosure, and forfeit what you've paid. (This is a long-shot.)

-Allow it to go into foreclosure - eventually Westgate will take it back.

-If it's paid off, give it away.

Unfortunately, it has no significant resale value on the resale market.

howery

Reaction score
wgsm

thanks we will see what happens.. I had called 8 days after we did contract to cancel and they talked me into cheaper payments.. I look at account today and they say I now have a past due bill.. tired of their crap.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately since you're past the rescission date, you either have to walk away (with major credit consequences) or enjoy it and learn to use it the most effectively.

Sorry, no good news here.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Rescission (cancellation) time period is determined by individual state law. Four states allow only 3 days. Florida and Tennessee both allow 10 days. In most other states it's 5-7 days. The specific state in which your contract was executed is not identified above, but the applicable rescission period (and rescission instructions) are required by law to have been provided to you, in writing, at the time and place of your contract execution. Rescission would also have to have been accomplished in writing.

If you are already past the rescission period, you are essentially "SOL", unless Westgate is willing to voluntarily release you from your contract (...which is not likely).
If they are willing to release you, they can (and they surely will) keep all of your original deposit and any and all other money you have paid to them since.

Another way "out", as mentioned by others, is to simply default (stop paying) and accept that foreclosure and negative credit reporting will follow sometime thereafter.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had called 8 days after we did contract to cancel and they talked me into cheaper payments....tired of their crap.

This is exactly why we TUGgers emphatically state to people who are trying to rescind to not make any phone calls to or take any phone calls from the resort, TS company, or developer when trying to rescind their purchase. The directions given to you for rescission probably clearly stated that rescission requests have to be sent via USPS certified mail and not by phone, fax, e-mail, FedEx, or physically walking into the office.

That being said, others have mentioned what other options you have although they are more expensive and painful than the rescission period you had. The other thing I would caution you against is to watch out for these law firms, Viking Ship companies, transfer companies and cancellation companies. You will probably see many Google ads on travel- and timeshare-related websites or find them in search engines. They make great-sounding promises such as "Cancel your mortgage", "End your TS agreement", "Sue the person and company who fraudulently sold you your TS", etc. They will just take more of your money and probably not solve your problem.