• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New and Confused about Depositing Weeks

TripletMom11

Reaction score
We recently bought in a Silverleaf's The Villages and have week 10 which is spring break week. We can't use it this year and it's asking us to reserve or deposit. We want to deposit, but do not know which is better...deposit with Silverleaf or RCI? We need to deposit ASAP and are at a total loss. Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do you already have an RCI account? If not I don't think you will have time to get one set up and deposit a week 10. Right now a 1 br gets 14 tpu's and a 2 br gets 16.

TripletMom11

Reaction score
Yes we already have an RCI account. How do the tpu's work? This is the part we are completely lost on. We are 2 bedroom lodge owners.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is it a lock off or a dedicated 2 br unit? If it is a dedicated 2 br unit with no lock off option, you would get 16 tpu's. If you have the option to lock off you would get more points for depositing 2 smaller units. TPU's are trading point units. All deposits are given a value between 2 and 60. All units that are available for exchange have a value as well. 14-16 is on the low side. You would have 2 years from the check in date to use the deposit(s).

TripletMom11

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure if it's lock off or dedicated. How would I tell? I know we have a Unit number that's always the same. I think we are going to deposit with RCI. It seems to have many more options and with my husbands crazy schedule it may be better.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure if it's lock off or dedicated. How would I tell? I know we have a Unit number that's always the same. I think we are going to deposit with RCI. It seems to have many more options and with my husbands crazy schedule it may be better.

If you purchased a deeded fixed week 10 in a specific unit, a phone call to the resort would reveal in 30 seconds or less whether or not that unit is a "lock-off".

You may / may not be aware that the RCI TPU value maximum is allocated only if you deposit more than 180 days "out" from the next available usage date, and the allocated TPU value decreases incrementally thereafter as the usage date gets closer. Week 10 is now only about 30+ days away from today, by my rough math.

Last edited:

TripletMom11

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I'll call them tomorrow to find out. We weren't made aware about the TPU maximum. We just got it 2 weeks ago and when I logged in it was giving me the option to reserve or deposit. So now that I know we won't get the maximum time, I'm not sure if we should go ahead and deposit with RCI or just deposit Silverleaf. Thanks for ya'lls help.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't made aware about the TPU maximum. We just got it 2 weeks ago and when I logged in it was giving me the option to reserve or deposit. So now that I know we won't get the maximum time, I'm not sure if we should go ahead and deposit with RCI or just deposit Silverleaf.

I'm not sure that you fully understand the whole RCI TPU concept or process, based upon reading your quoted / blue highlighted words above.
Also, with no deposits or TPU's in your account yet, "reserving" anything on line is not yet an available option at all until there is something already deposited.

If / when you "deposit" a fixed week like yours with RCI, you obviously "give up" use of that week for that particular year. The week now "belongs" to RCI for that year and you cannot get it back once it's deposited. For that "deposit", RCI gives you a specific TPU amount into your RCI account. Think of TPU's as a form of "make believe currency". TPU valuation can (and does) differ for any given unit / week, depending upon how far in advance of the usage week you actually make the "deposit". As mentioned, deposit 6 months in advance is required for maximum TPU for any given unit / week, wherever and whatever it may be.

After depositing your fixed week with RCI for that "use year", you then have those TPU's in your RCI account to "spend" within 2 years of the usage date of the fixed week you deposited. The issue after deposit then becomes whether you have enough TPU's in your account to reserve a week someplace else you want to go later.
Like the "currency" analogy I made, you need to actually have enough "currency" (TPU's) to "spend" for your intended "purchase" (an exchange).

In summary, the days are gone when you just could simply deposit a week to RCI and just get an exchange into a different week somewhere else in RCI on "a week for a week" basis. With RCI's creation and adoption of TPU's a few years ago, all weeks of different sized units at different resorts in different seasons now each have a very specific RCI-determined, maximum TPU "value" assigned. You need to have enough "TPU's" in your RCI account to "spend" for the TPU requirement of any given week somewhere else. It's a full week of time involved in any case with TPU's.

I hope that this clarifies rather than confuses, at least in regard to RCI and TPU's. I can't help you a bit a regarding whatever internal "system" (if any) Silverleaf might have for internal deposits and / or exchanges. I know absolutely nothing about Silverleaf.

Last edited:

TripletMom11

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you Theo. That makes much more sense. We don't know much about Silverleaf or any timeshares for that matter so it's all new to us. Thank you again.