• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

trip insurance - to buy or not to buy?

socal4me

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
note: I will call Allianz later, but wanted to query TUG members for their opinion:

i just booked an extra vacation for September on RCI for approx $950.
is it worth it to buy the insurance for $53?
i ask because my father is 92 and is coming with us. he takes all kinds of medication but i would not say he is 'sickly'
should something happen to him either before or during the trip, will the company state he had a "pre-existing condition" and not cover anything?

i also checked on insuremytrip.com for the 'cancel for any reason' policies.
the cost goes up to almost $400 and you get 75% of total claimed.

what to do?

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Socal, My wife and I traveled for years without travel ins...Past 2 years I looked into it...I'm not getting any younger (64)...We tried Allianz last year..Thankfully we didn't need to use it...This year we went w/ Travel Guard...Going to CUN for 2 weeks;; price $35 per...I always thought trav ins was for cancellations due to sickness or whatever......But I really checked out policy this time..., There are so many other things it covers; such as::::::accident & sickness med expenses, Acc death/dismemberment, baggage, baggage delay, emergency evacuation of remains, missed connection, travel med assistance, trip cancel, etc.....

I'll never leave home without now...Especially going to a foreign country...

IMO....helluva deal for $35; not to mention; 2 weeks...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
note: I will call Allianz later, but wanted to query TUG members for their opinion: i just booked an extra vacation for September on RCI for approx $950.

Travel insurance doesn't just cover your accommodations - it covers anything your pre-booked, included your airfare, and pre-paid rental car.

What is your back-up plan if you have to cancel, and you don't have travel insurance? :shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we had elderly parents, we bought full featured travel insurance, and got it early enough to cover 'pre-existing' conditions. We're both orphans now and just carry a blanket evacuation and repatriation policy. We figure we can cover the expense of medical out of pocket until we can get into the USA.

Either way, travel insurance is a crap shoot. The insurers are betting you won't file a claim, and you are betting you will. Maybe not this trip, but eventually.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We always buy travel insurance. We use CSA for the extra vacations/rentals, etc. We use Vacation Guard to insure our owned timeshare weeks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The nice thing about Allianz is that with a few clicks you can get a quote online. You don't have to provide any personal info., or talk to a sales person, and they won't call you. They are the Co. that AAA uses.

www.allianztravelinsurance.com

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we had elderly parents, we bought full featured travel insurance, and got it early enough to cover 'pre-existing' conditions. We're both orphans now and just carry a blanket evacuation and repatriation policy. We figure we can cover the expense of medical out of pocket until we can get into the USA.

Either way, travel insurance is a crap shoot. The insurers are betting you won't file a claim, and you are betting you will. Maybe not this trip, but eventually.

Jim

As I've now opted out of employer provided health insurance for gov't issue and Hubby is on Medicare, I purchased travel insurance for the sole purpose of emergency evacuation if needed. I figure $100 is small price to pay if that were to happen. THe other perks such as lossed baggage delay/damage, flight delays are nice "added value" but I would not take out insurance for that reason alone.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
The nice thing about Allianz is that with a few clicks you can get a quote online. You don't have to provide any personal info., or talk to a sales person, and they won't call you. They are the Co. that AAA uses.

www.allianztravelinsurance.com
You always have to read the fine print. Most ins. co. also cover your trip cancellation if a spouse of the traveller gets sick - Allianz doesn't, found out the hard way, won't book with them again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You always have to read the fine print. Most ins. co. also cover your trip cancellation if a spouse of the traveller gets sick - Allianz doesn't, found out the hard way, won't book with them again.

That's strange - when you bought the policy, did you include your wife as one of the members of your party?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Causal friends of mine had trip cancellation insurance for a South American cruise .... boy, did they really need that.

Flew down to Argentina and spent 3 days there before the cruise started. 2nd or 3rd night on cruise, wife collapsed at dinner and was taken off ship the next port of call (next day very small "cute" town 800+ miles SOUTH of Buenos Aires) and transported to a small medical clinic. No one in the family of 1 son and 2 daughters even had a passport (wife of their son did).

They HAD EVAC insurance ... small jet with medical staff flew down to small airport MILES from this cute little fishing village. Ambulance (if you want to call it that) transported her to airplane & US medical person at plane checked her stats ... seems while they transported her for over an hour on O2, the bottle was empty and she could NOT fly. Got her to another small clinic and American/plane personal with their drugs got her stable enough to puddle jump back to Washington, DC after 3 days. Jet & crew stayed on the ground waiting to evac her & husband. They had to puddle jump her back - landing repeatedly to refuel - as they could not take her up too high for medical reasons.

The lack of oxygen cause permanent brain damaged; blood clot (from long plane flight to South America) to lung cause her collapse on sink.

Several years later - she is "okay" but is a little "off". Her days of flying to Hawaii and Europe (and almost everywhere else) are over.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel insurance doesn't just cover your accommodations - it covers anything your pre-booked, included your airfare, and pre-paid rental car.

What is your back-up plan if you have to cancel, and you don't have travel insurance? :shrug:

It also covers other things, like trip delay, lost or stolen baggage, Accidental Death or dismemberment and sometimes a number of other benefits including medical and dental coverage.

I almost always buy for international travel and cruises. I only buy for domestic travel when my maximum loss is greater than $1k (assuming the price of insurance is less than 5% of trip cost).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It also covers other things, like trip delay, lost or stolen baggage, Accidental Death or dismemberment and sometimes a number of other benefits including medical and dental coverage.

I almost always buy for international travel and cruises. I only buy for domestic travel when my maximum loss is greater than $1k (assuming the price of insurance is less than 5% of trip cost).

Agreed - it's just that the OP seemed to only think it would cover the cost of her timeshare rental. Thank you for adding that info.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The Allianz offer seems to be a great deal. I've been looking recently for an upcoming trip and while this offer is definitely not as thorough as others, it's also significantly less expensive. $40ish for a month away makes me wonder how they do it...there must be significant exclusions.

Sent from my iPad

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Pre-existing conditions are sometimes covered but only if the insurance is purchased within a certain number of days of initial trip payment.

We have used Travel Guard and Travel Safe for travel insurance. We only buy it when traveling out of the country and for cruises. Mainly for the health and medivac coverage. Not so much for trip cancellation.

We have never had a claim to make until our last trip. US Airlines busted one of our hard sided luggage pieces by tearing a wheel off completely. Bought a replacement bag and filed a claim with Travel Safe and it was paid rather promptly.

One thing I like about Travel Safe is that their medical coverage is primary. Meaning, less hassle with having to go through your own medical insurance to only get a denial and then to file a claim with the travel insurance company.

We just bought another policy with Travel Safe for an April cruise. Pricing out Allianz, it looks like the costs were pretty much the same except that I am getting double the medical and double the medivac coverage.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As I've now opted out of employer provided health insurance for gov't issue and Hubby is on Medicare, I purchased travel insurance for the sole purpose of emergency evacuation if needed. I figure $100 is small price to pay if that were to happen. THe other perks such as lossed baggage delay/damage, flight delays are nice "added value" but I would not take out insurance for that reason alone.

You might want to look into evacuation insurance for a year. You could get it for much less. We have ours through Diver Dan (Divers Alert Network). It's $55.00 a year and includes both of us; it applies whenever we're 50 miles from home. Diver Dan's evacuation insurance isn't actually part of their insurance program, which is for actual diving; it's really a by-product of being a member (they also send you their magazine with beautiful underwater photos because you're a member.)

My original assumption was that for that small amount of money, it couldn't be any good, but the friend who told me about it has used it twice: once from Bali and once from the Phillipines. Diver Dan's staff made all the arrangements; they coordinated with the doctors in each locale to determine when her husband could be evacuated safely; and they flew the wife back 1st class--many companies don't do that.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/about/ In order to get the evacuation insurance ($100,000), you don't click on insurance; you click on "join." As I said the evacuation insurance is just a benefit of membership.

the page that details the benefits is this one: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/individual/

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pre-existing conditions are sometimes covered but only if the insurance is purchased within a certain number of days of initial trip payment....
I'm very interested in getting travel insurance that would include pre-existing conditions. However, I often book timeshares way in advance and then cancel or change the reservation. Does anyone know if I can still buy trip insurance (that covers pre-existing conditions) at the time I book my plane ticket?

You might want to look into evacuation insurance for a year. You could get it for much less. We have ours through Diver Dan (Divers Alert Network). It's $55.00 a year and includes both of us; it applies whenever we're 50 miles from home. Diver Dan's evacuation insurance isn't actually part of their insurance program, which is for actual diving; it's really a by-product of being a member (they also send you their magazine with beautiful underwater photos because you're a member.)

My original assumption was that for that small amount of money, it couldn't be any good, but the friend who told me about it has used it twice: once from Bali and once from the Phillipines. Diver Dan's staff made all the arrangements; they coordinated with the doctors in each locale to determine when her husband could be evacuated safely; and they flew the wife back 1st class--many companies don't do that...
I looked at the Diver DAN member handbooks and it says, "DAN Membership includes automatic enrollment in DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving injuries..." [emphasis added]

So, it doesn't say anything about excluding pre-existing conditions, but it sounds like it only coves injuries, not illnesses. PStreet1, was your friend who used the TravelAssist program injured, or did he get sick?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm very interested in getting travel insurance that would include pre-existing conditions. However, I often book timeshares way in advance and then cancel or change the reservation. Does anyone know if I can still buy trip insurance (that covers pre-existing conditions) at the time I book my plane ticket?

I am pretty sure you can. As long as the plane tickets are your initial trip payment. They are just requiring purchase within so many days of initial trip payment so people don't wait until they get sick and then purchase travel insurance hoping to have the loss covered.

I think most travel insurance covers pre existing conditions as long as you purchase within a certain number of days, 14 to 21 usually. If they don't offer this coverage at their lowest tier, they may have other coverage options that do include it.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip Insurance; Travelling to owned weeks vs. "other" travel...

I will simply note that for timeshare owners travelling to units / week that they own, not all travel insurance covers potentially "lost" maintenance fees in the event of trip interruption or cancellation.
I believe that Vacation Guard does provide that coverage; maybe others do as well, but certainly not all do so.

I buy this insurance every year but have never actually filed a claim (knocking on wood). Since we own and use multiple consecutive weeks, a loss of paid maintenance fees would be in the thousands of dollars and would constitute our largest travel expense, by far. YMMV.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I will simply note that for timeshare owners travelling to units / week that they own, not all travel insurance covers potentially "lost" maintenance fees in the event of trip interruption or cancellation.
I believe that Vacation Guard does provide that coverage; maybe others do as well, but certainly not all do so.

I buy this insurance every year but have never actually filed a claim (knocking on wood). Since we own and use multiple consecutive weeks, a loss of paid maintenance fees would be in the thousands of dollars and would constitute our largest travel expense, by far. YMMV.

I use them as well. They were very expensive this year, but they told me they are working on a new model for next year where the cost will be prorated based on the number of timeshare weeks you own to make it more equitable. I own two weeks (and soon to be 3 weeks hopefully) but people who own let's say 4-10 weeks pay the same as me for the 2 weeks. Guess we'll see what happens...

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I looked at the Diver DAN member handbooks and it says, "DAN Membership includes automatic enrollment in DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving injuries..." [emphasis added]

So, it doesn't say anything about excluding pre-existing conditions, but it sounds like it only coves injuries, not illnesses. PStreet1, was your friend who used the TravelAssist program injured, or did he get sick?

Both times, he became sick--very sick. Since Medicare doesn't cover out-of-country expenses, one time, the Diver Dan coordinators even told her to "let us submit that charge (a small one of some sort--not the whole thing); it may go through if we submit it," and it did. He is a very unhealthy person, and they swear by Diver Dan--said the coordination was simply amazing both times; they could not possibly have been more pleased.

The number on the card for "non-emergencies, medical questions, member services, benefits questions and other DAN services" is 1-800-446-2671, available M-F, 8:30-5 p.m. ET. (There is also, of course, an emergency number.)

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use them as well. They were very expensive this year, but they told me they are working on a new model for next year where the cost will be prorated based on the number of timeshare weeks you own to make it more equitable. I own two weeks (and soon to be 3 weeks hopefully) but people who own let's say 4-10 weeks pay the same as me for the 2 weeks. Guess we'll see what happens...

Vacation Guard has actually seen 20% increases in premiums each and every year for the past +/- 5 years --- maybe even longer than that; I can't retrieve records any older than that.

I'm not sure how / if a new "model" will be developed by Vacation Guard, but they certainly can't continue to impose 20% increases each and every year upon long term customers who have never filed a claim and still expect to retain those customers indefinitely. :shrug:

Last edited:

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Alianz couple of years ago when we had trip to Hawaii planned. 2 days before our trip DH ended up in hospital with pneumonia and we had to cancel the trip last minute. Alianz reimbursed us for 100% of our plane fare. We did have to send proof of illness signed by his doctors before they would reimburse us. Bu at least we got it back. Timeshares were used by friends who were meeting us there so no claim filed for that.

We always get the insurance now when traveling anywhere that's out of our home state.

Suzanne

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's strange - when you bought the policy, did you include your wife as one of the members of your party?
My girlfriend and I had booked a trip, our husbands were going to stay home. Her husband got sick, and Allianz refused the claim, saying only if my friend would have gotten sick would I be covered. As I said earlier, when I checked with other ins. co., they said it is very unusual clause for trip canc. ins.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is the response that I got from them not too long ago:

Hi Mary Ann:

The service team sent this over to me for a reply. Thank you for reaching out, as we do appreciate your business. We are sorry for the surprise, as that is not our intent.

The vast majority of VacationGuard plans are bought directly through various Timeshare developers that we have contracts with. For convenience, we are usually offered along with their the annual dues, where VacationGuard®, as you can attest, is a premier baseline of protection. That leaves our retail page of www.VacationGuard.com open to clients like yourself, where we offer the simplicity of one plan, and a fixed price. As you know, the VacationGuard rating model is dramatically different than traditional travel protection, which is rated by person, by age, and by the specific trip cost, aside from having no benefits specific to vacation ownership.

VacationGuard® changed that by offering protection for Dues and Exchange protection, plus much more, in one plan, at a flat rate, to cover an entire use-year of vacation ownership trips. As you can appreciate, the cost of all things has been escalating: Dues, airline fees, frequency of travel delays from weather, exchange fees, medical expenses, rental car damage fees, and even the gratis registration you can access for annual Identity Theft monitoring inside our plan (See page 14 of the plan, right hand side). These things impact our rating. I’ve attached a the full plan, just to reinforce the present value. Please note a key benefit for renewing Planholders is the wavier of the Pre-existing medical condition exclusion, bottom of page 10, right hand side. Because you have been a member with recurring VacationGuard plans, the 60 day look-back does not apply. That’s a huge benefit as we age, and another way we try to eliminate surprises should a claim arise.

Mary Ann, our goal is to keep this plan affordable, especially for clients like yourself, and me, for I too own timeshare and pay to purchase this very plan. We appreciate the peace of mind it provides, but have it for the off-chance we might actually need it one day. That is why people buy travel protection, to protect against the unexpected. And, I can tell you, we have needed our plan, most recently for an injury (emergency medical expense) with our child in the spring. VacationGuard eliminated the stress of wondering if there was going to be coverage to reimburse my expenses, and allowed us to stay focused on the issues at hand, instead of wondering “do we have coverage?”. That’s what it’s supposed to do.

Frankly, we anticipate that sometime in 2015, we will have to adjust our rating back to a matrix of sorts. The new structure will reflect that most people have only a week of two of vacation ownership, so should not have to pay the same as someone who might wish to protect 4-8 weeks of ownership. Years ago, we started with this matrix of pricing model, and yet consolidated it for ease as things matured. However, with the current vacation ownership uses and these escalating fees, it’s time to go back to what is more fair across the needs inside the spectrum. Remember, I pay for this too, so have to look at it as a consumer as well. We anticipate that while the price is $199 at present, sometime in the next 6 months, you will see our Timeshare plan go back to a “tiered” level of benefits, and pricing respective to benefit levels offered. Clients like yourself should expect great stability in our pricing from here out, while those who have greater exposure, will in fact have to pay more to protect that, as you would expect.

We know this is a comprehensive answer to what seemed a simple question, but we believe you deserved a responsible answer that demonstrated we value your business, and hope you continue to trust us for your vacation protection.

Let us know if you have additional questions, and thank you for trusting VacationGuard® with your travel plans.

Brian Rock, National Director

On behalf of the VacationGuard® Support Team

P: 866.314.9480 l email: Service@VacationGuard.com

M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM CST

www.VacationGuard.com
mpumilia is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
Vacation Guard has actually seen 20% increases in premiums each and every year for the past +/- 5 years --- maybe even longer than that; I can't retrieve records any older.

I'm not sure how / if a new "model" will be developed, but they certainly can't continue to impose 20% increases each year and expect to retain their customers indefinitely. :shrug:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you can. As long as the plane tickets are your initial trip payment. They are just requiring purchase within so many days of initial trip payment so people don't wait until they get sick and then purchase travel insurance hoping to have the loss covered....
Thanks for the info!

Both times, he became sick--very sick. Since Medicare doesn't cover out-of-country expenses, one time, the Diver Dan coordinators even told her to "let us submit that charge (a small one of some sort--not the whole thing); it may go through if we submit it," and it did. He is a very unhealthy person, and they swear by Diver Dan--said the coordination was simply amazing both times; they could not possibly have been more pleased.

The number on the card for "non-emergencies, medical questions, member services, benefits questions and other DAN services" is 1-800-446-2671, available M-F, 8:30-5 p.m. ET. (There is also, of course, an emergency number.)
That's very useful information! I signed up for a DAN membership. The fee was $55 for a family membership, or $35 for an individual. It appears that DAN offers both insurance for dive-related accidents and general trip insurance. They have insurance through CSA Travel Protection that will cover all trips for one year. (I'm not sure if it would cover timeshare MFs or not.)

Anyone know anything about CSA Travel Protection?