• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United business class lounge question.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just need some clarification....
Looking at flying business class on United from Vancouver to Cancun.
As there would be connections required, we would get lounge access, correct?

Thanks,

kenie

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Found by Googling:

United Club airport lounge access questions are ones I get frequently from my Award Booking Service clients and readers. Here are the top ways to gain access, along with a FAQ for the questions I most frequently get asked.

1. Book an International Business Class or First Class Award Ticket or Revenue Ticket

One of the best ways to gain access to the United Club (and better, international first class and business class airport lounges) is by flying on an international United first class or business class award ticket. Note that you will need to produce your international United first class or business class boarding pass, since domestic United business or first class (except for United's p.s. service) does NOT get you into the United Club.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Deleted. Duplicate post.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Are Canada and/or Mexico considered "international" for these purposes? I did not think they were. I know flying between the U.S. and Canada is not considered "international", and when I flew from Acapulco to the United States it was not either.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome doublespeak. Mexico. International. No free
cchecked bags with that credit card. Domestic only. Mexico not Iinternational for lounge access!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question, Kenie. I'd been wondering the same thing since it's been quite a while since I've flown BC internationally. Have a trip coming up and will be going BC.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just need some clarification....
Looking at flying business class on United from Vancouver to Cancun.
As there would be connections required, we would get lounge access, correct?

Thanks,

kenie

Yes, UA considers Vancouver to Cancun international.

The question is if you are flying on UA metal for the international leg (flights operated by UA and NOT codeshare partners). UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access the United Club at any connection airport.

If you are flying on UA metal on same business day in International Business or International First:
Access at all United Clubs including connection airports.

If not:
You will only have club access for the airport where you are DEPARTING from in International Business or International First.

Added note:
If you are flying YVR-[Insert US Connection City Here]-CUN in international business, both legs are considered international so you should have access to both clubs in the departing airports.

-ryan

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
This is a little bit confusing, and maybe my use of the term "international" was not precise enough. The United web site explains the perks of United Business and United Business First. The locations discussed in this thread (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean) are ones served by United Business and there is nothing listed in the perks for that class of service that provide for club access. That was also my experience the last time I flew one of those itineraries, which admittedly was a few years ago. By contrast, United BusinessFirst includes "most flights to Africa, Asia, Europe, India, the Middle East, South America and the South Pacific, and flights between Tokyo and Seoul and Singapore." United BusinessFirst allows club access according to their web site. That is also a long-standing policy. I would really love to be wrong about this one. Can someone show me where club access is granted on flights in UnitedBusiness?

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a little bit confusing, and maybe my use of the term "international" was not precise enough. The United web site explains the perks of United Business and United Business First. The locations discussed in this thread (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean) are ones served by United Business and there is nothing listed in the perks for that class of service that provide for club access. That was also my experience the last time I flew one of those itineraries, which admittedly was a few years ago. By contrast, United BusinessFirst includes "most flights to Africa, Asia, Europe, India, the Middle East, South America and the South Pacific, and flights between Tokyo and Seoul and Singapore." United BusinessFirst allows club access according to their web site. That is also a long-standing policy. I would really love to be wrong about this one. Can someone show me where club access is granted on flights in UnitedBusiness?
If you are flying Business on an international flight (which I term "International Business" for short), you have access to the club subject to the rules I previously posted above. International is the key word here -- not domestic.

United BusinessFirst is a separate and distinct class from United Business class. I agree it is confusing, but when Continental and United merged, Continental didn't have Business, they had Business First and for some reason the combined company merged it in. I think it depends on where you are going and the cabin layout -- all of the BusinessFirst cabins are international flights (I think). Business can be domestic or international (but domestic will always be Business and not BusinessFirst). Yuck -- I reread that and I'm not sure it is clear.

Here is the link to the official United site on club access:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx

Under "Cabin", see the definition for when United Business is allowed to use the United Club:
Customer must present a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United Business international flight.

And here is the specific language with respect to Mexico, Canada and the Carribean (plus a few others):
*International
International refers to any destination outside the 50 U.S. states and Washington DC. Destinations in Guam, the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Central America are treated as International flights.

And then add the long standing United rule that allows domestic connection airport UC access if the International Business flight is on United metal (i.e. NOT Star Alliance). Otherwise only domestic United Club connecting airport access allowed will be where the Star Alliance International Business flight is departing from. (sorry, I can't find the citation for that rule, but this has been the case in my experiences)

Last edited:

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just flew DC to Cancun on United. We purchased economy seats, but were upgraded to business. We were allowed to use the United lounge.

Quite a deal for us!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We just flew DC to Cancun on United. We purchased economy seats, but were upgraded to business. We were allowed to use the United lounge.

Quite a deal for us!

Well, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about bringing along guests if you're traveling United Business/First international? From the link SJSharkie posted, it appears we can't do that, if I read that right. When I was a Premier Executive level, they usually allowed me to bring in traveling companions--a few times, I brought in 3 (DH and another couple).

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about bringing along guests if you're traveling United Business/First international? From the link SJSharkie posted, it appears we can't do that, if I read that right. When I was a Premier level, they usually allowed me to bring in traveling companions--a few times, I brought in 3 (DH and another couple).

Star Gold Alliance members get 1 companion assuming that companion is flying out of that airport on a Star Alliance flight. (And Premier Silver doesn't count.) Otherwise no dice.

Depending on the gate agent and capacity levels, I've seen people break the rules but this is obviously YMMV. And if you are Global Services they bend over backwards for you, so that might come with a whole different set of rules.

It pays to know the rules yourself , because sometimes you get a UC agent that doesn't know all of the rules. Sad but this has happened to me on occasion (not often).

-ryan

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Gold Alliance members get 1 companion assuming that companion is flying out of that airport on a Star Alliance flight. (And Premier Silver doesn't count.) Otherwise no dice.

Depending on the gate agent and capacity levels, I've seen people break the rules but this is obviously YMMV. And if you are Global Services they bend over backwards for you, so that might come with a whole different set of rules.

It pays to know the rules yourself , because sometimes you get a UC agent that doesn't know all of the rules. Sad but this has happened to me on occasion (not often).

-ryan

Thanks, Ryan.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, this assumes you don't have a UC membership -- the rules are different if you are a card carrying member.

-ryan

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do use my UA credit card & will for payment for the trip, if that's what you meant.

BTW, I had to look up Global Services as I hadn't heard of it (as I said I've been away from the Road Warrior lifestyle for some time :D ). GS sounds pretty elite and for the miles it requires, they can have it.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Quite a deal for us!

Excellent, how did you get so lucky???

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do use my UA credit card & will for payment for the trip, if that's what you meant.

BTW, I had to look up Global Services as I hadn't heard of it (as I said I've been away from the Road Warrior lifestyle for some time :D ). GS sounds pretty elite and for the miles it requires, they can have it.

No, I meant if you pay for United Club membership -- different rules apply for guests when you hold a membership in the Club.

Yes, Global Services is a unique product. There are no published mileage requirements and reportedly it is achieved by crossing a certain revenue threshold. I know people who have been GS -- one person I know reported having the plane held for them when they were late for a connection -- literally holding a plane for one person. Crazy!

-ryan

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent, how did you get so lucky???

My DH is MR Platinum elite, so he receives United Silver status. This status gets us the first checked bag free, as well as eligibility for spade available, complimentary upgrades 24 hrs out.

This was our first time flying United after this reciprocal agreement was put in place, and we got very lucky.