• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trade potential for Canyon Villas Easter 2016

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Can anyone advise me on the potential for obtaining a trade at Canyon Villas during the two weeks of Easter 2016? II states that it is a high demand period which I expected but I was hoping it wouldn't be as tough as those summer HHI/NCV beach weeks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What are you using to exchange and when did you start your ongoing search?

When I want Easter week on Hilton Head (which I would think would easier than your request), I use a 1 br platinum Marriott (Branson) and request 18 months in advance. This year I was matched within 2 days of exactly 12 months. One nice thing about both HHI and NCV is the non lock off 2 br's. Everywhere else, especially in platinum season most owners are locking off to deposit so it can make getting a 2 br more difficult. Marriott of course deposits 2br units but we all know how late they do that these days.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
easter week next year might overlap with basedball srping training . That would make it a tough trade. Phoenix is popular destination for baseball spring training.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are you using to exchange and when did you start your ongoing search?

We haven't started yet, just waiting to see what work commitments are as to whether our usual August holiday can take place or not however it will probably be a Harbour Lake week and a Son Antem week.

Looking so far I can only see studio's and that goes for Shadow Ridge and Desert Springs (another option).

Jont.....that wasn't what I wanted to hear!

The plan is...... as I enjoyed Austin so much a couple of weeks ago a few friends and I are planning to return next year for SXSW, they will then return home whilst I stay for another week and indulge myself with a couple of national parks before my wife and kids fly over at the start of the Easter holidays. The options were endless, I spend a week wherever and meet them somewhere warm and sunny whether it be Arizona, California, Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean. I liked the idea of Big Bend and then the Grand Canyon before meeting up in Phoenix hoping that Canyon Villas might be a relatively easy trade!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jont.....that wasn't what I wanted to hear!. . .

I liked the idea of Big Bend and then the Grand Canyon before meeting up in Phoenix hoping that Canyon Villas might be a relatively easy trade!

Sorry to say that Jont is right. The Cubs and White Sox 2015 Spring Training went until April 2 & 4. With both the Cubs and White Sox Phoenix becomes Chicago Central. March is highly demanded by owners and one of the toughest for Platinum owners to reserve. The Platinum season is a long one and the 4 weeks of March are most desired weeks. It is full of Spring Break weeks and Spring Training fans. If we're lucky enough to get a March week both the studio and 1 bedroom are strong traders so it pays to separate them for 2 trades. Unlike NCV and HHI, which are all 2 bedroom units, MCV will have less of the 2 bedrooms deposited into II. So there are 3 things working against finding a 2 bedroom at MCV. . .demand, smaller resort and lock-offs.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Will the Palm Desert resorts suffer from a similar shortage?

There is a tennis tournament (Paribas Open - March 7 - 20) and the Coachella Festival (April 9 - 11). I don't travel at that time of year so I have no idea how easy or difficult a trade that it is, but there are four resorts there - the two Desert Springs resorts, plus the two Shadow Ridge resorts. In addition, you could request one of the two Westins, and also the Club Intrawest (although that may be the longest shot of the group).

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score

Palm Desert should have inventory available if you request in advance. As noted by Kipca there are a number of resorts and both Shadow Ridge and Desert Spings are good sized resorts, so Marriott has a lot more availability in Palm Desert, Ca than they do in Az. Also, no Spring training in The Palm Springs area.

That said, March is prime time in the desert so it is a bit tougher to land than other times of the year. I didn't check, but it is currently the second weekend of the Coachella music festival right now, you could see if you can find any availability right now as that will give you an idea for next year. My guess is you'll get a trade without a lot of difficulty if you plan in advance because there is quite a lot of capacity.

Best of Luck to you.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

I own at both locations. I have never had an issue booking Palm Desert and usually have to use my 13 month to get AZ for spring training.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a CV week and I was able to book March 13-20, I have had ZERO trouble renting out during same timeframe over past two years. And several 2016 listings have already been posted on REDWEEK

Bill4728

Reaction score
Easter 2016 is Sunday Mar 27th Which is the last week of Spring training So I'd guess all of AZ will be hard. Palm Desert should be doable.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Easter is March 27, 2016
Mar 19 - 26 week before Easter
Mar 26 - April 2 week after Easter

How much time do your schools have for Easter vacation?

That 3rd week of March is a typical Spring Break week every year. In Palm Springs, you have 3 - 4 Marriott resorts - more capacity.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year, during the last days of Spring Training (week 13) CV was 79% owner-occupied, the Front Desk Manager told me, which gives you an idea of how tight the trade-in opportunities were, just because of Spring Training. Add in the coincidence of Easter in 2016, and that may make it tough to get in via II!

Another thing to watch out for, if it matters to you - JW access may be blacked out if that Easter/Spring Training weekend is big for them too.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This year, during the last days of Spring Training (week 13) CV was 79% owner-occupied, the Front Desk Manager told me, which gives you an idea of how tight the trade-in opportunities were, just because of Spring Training. Add in the coincidence of Easter in 2016, and that may make it tough to get in via II!

Another thing to watch out for, if it matters to you - JW access may be blacked out if that Easter/Spring Training weekend is big for them too.

JW access might be blocked for a few days, but it has not been Blocked for the entire week.
In any case, I agree getting an exchange from II for the last 2 weeks of March next year would be almost impossible, especially for 2BR.

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on the potential for obtaining a trade at Canyon Villas during the two weeks of Easter 2016? II states that it is a high demand period which I expected but I was hoping it wouldn't be as tough as those summer HHI/NCV beach weeks.

I would put in an ongoing search a.s.a.p. for all Marriotts/Westin/Club Intrawest for both Palm Desert and Phoenix (CanyonVillas+Scottsdale resorts). I think you would most likely match to Palm Desert because there the number of Marriott timeshares alone is mind boggling and certainly tops Hilton Head for sheer volume. There is only the 1 smallish Marriott resort in Phoenix, and probably 1/10th the number of Marriott units as in Palm Desert. Still, doesn't mean it's an impossible trade. Especially, not impossible when you have the advantage of Marriott preference to pull another Marriott.

We own at Marriott Shadow Ridge, and I ALWAYS deposit a prime March week into I.I. because I want to get the best possible trades for my deposit. There are MANY Southern California Marriott owners like me, who already have great weather in March and buy the Palm Desert Marriotts for the Marriott trading preference in Interval. Besides, if you find that by Oct/Nov, you have only matched to 1 Palm Desert week, you can extend your search to include some other non-Marriott resorts or add on areas such as Newport Coast Villas or San Diego for your 2nd week. Both are less than 2 hours away, good weather (70's F), but low season because the Pacific ocean is too cold in March. So, that is a 3rd possible option.

I am a teacher and restricted to traveling only during traditional family vacation times -- Spring Break, summer, or Christmas break. I can tell you that putting in an ongoing search a year ahead of the crowd, definitely makes all the difference. We have exchanged to Hilton Head Marriotts in July, 2 week Spring Break weeks to Cancun, and even Rome/Florence for a 2-week Easter Break, 2 weeks Manhattan Club (4th of July week, twice), 2 summer weeks in Hawaii, and just last year we just returned from 2 back-to-back weeks in Paris in JUNE! But you must put your requests in early, use strong traders (not lock-off studios), and determine if you COULD be okay with a 1-bedroom unit, instead of a full 2-bedroom. I find that 1-bedroom trades are much easier to pull than 2 bedrooms, because most Marriott owners depositing into Interval to trade will lock-off their units so that they can get 2 weeks out of it, instead of just 1. Especially since there are so many EOY (every-other-year) owners, like us.

Also, when it is time to purchase your airline tickets in the Fall, if you only have 1 of the 2 weeks confirmed, you can make a Marriott Rewards points reservation for the second week, as your fall-back plan. That way, if the 2nd trade you want doesn't come through, you could just do a hotel stay for the 2nd week. What I like about the Rewards points reservations is that you can cancel them up to 24 hours in advance with no penalty. Between last minute cancellation and late Marriott deposits, there is a good chance that if you hadn't already gotten the 2nd week, you would pick it up in either January, February or March. If not, you could book the 2nd week via Redweek, AirBnB, or just use your reserved Rewards points reservation.

We just returned from Phoenix for Easter week using a Marriott Rewards points reservation. Because of some work issues, we made plans for our trip only a couple of weeks ahead, and couldn't get a decent timeshare exchange into Phoenix that late in the game. Even though it was Spring Training, Spring Break, and Easter week -- there were still plenty of great options using the Marriott Rewards points. We ended up using one of the Marriott packages where you pay points for 4 nights, and get the 5th night free. The weather was great, but Phoenix was packed with all the baseball hoopla. If you are not a baseball fan, I would definitely choose Palm Desert over Phoenix for Spring Break. We purchase a lot of I.I. Getaway weeks into Palm Desert, and we have stayed at every Marriott in the Coachella Valley. Those Palm Desert Marriott Mega-Resorts are so much nicer than the limited timeshare offerings you will find in Phoenix. You can view lots of resort pictures online at TripAdvisor.com by just typing in the name of the timeshare resort.

So, that's my opinion, at least. All of my trades are hard trades because I can only travel when school's out. But if I'd have listened to all the naysayers, I'd never have gone anywhere good, because I thought it would be impossible. The option to see your glass as half-empty or half-full is always a personal choice. Thanks to TUG, we are faithfully working the program the way the timeshare salesman sold us the dream. Our glass is way more than half-full!

-- Rene

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
I know it's not considered a kid friendly place, but you may want to consider
Las Vegas. I think its about the same distance to the Grand Canyon as Phoenix.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know it's not considered a kid friendly place, but you may want to consider Las Vegas. I think its about the same distance to the Grand Canyon as Phoenix.

Thanks Jont, been to Vegas......couldn't stand it! :eek:

Thanks for the thorough post Rene, I am more drawn towards Palm Desert and the best flight options would be to fly into LAX however the price difference between LA and Phoenix was more than double although not all airlines are allowing me to search for Easter 2016 so that's probably a factor. We would definitely require a 2 bedroomed unit, with two young children who go to bed relatively early they need their own room and there's no way I'm sleeping on a sofa bed!

I'll wait a couple of weeks until the other airlines publish their dates and see if that makes a difference to the LA flights and then go from there.

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.Rene, I am more drawn towards Palm Desert and the best flight options would be to fly into LAX however the price difference between LA and Phoenix was more than double although not all airlines are allowing me to search for Easter 2016 so that's probably a factor.

Driving distance between Phoenix and Palm Desert is not too bad, if you can get significantly cheaper flights into Phoenix:

3 h 46 min (257.3 mi) via I-10 West

from LAX to Palm Desert, CA:

2 h 22 min (137.8 mi) via CA-60 E and I-10 E

Also there are regional airlines such as Southwest, that have flights between Los Angeles & Phoenix for around $100/1-way.

If you do decide on Palm Desert, having stayed at them all I will tell you we think that Marriott ShadowRidge has the best pool areas for kids. Big pools, splash zones, water slide, kids club right next door, and dive-in movies at the pool area in the evenings. Parent favorites: food service, patio & bar area right at the pool with wait-staff who take your order from your lounge chairs, plus misters! It's like being at a hotel pool. :whoopie:

We could probably offer better advice/recommendations if we knew the goals for your Spring Break trip. Is is just sun/relaxation, or are you hoping to get to the Grand Canyon, etc. We've got a lot of folks here who are very knowledgeable about both areas,

-- Rene

Last edited:

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just back from 3 weeks over the Easter break in Phoenix and Palm Desert. One week at Shadow Ridge then two weeks at Canyon Villas starting on Easter Sunday. We got a 1 bed for first week and a 2 bed for the second week. We used Gold Playa weeks and I put the request in a full 12 months out.

Hope that's useful.
Radley

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just back from 3 weeks over the Easter break in Phoenix and Palm Desert. One week at Shadow Ridge then two weeks at Canyon Villas starting on Easter Sunday. We got a 1 bed for first week and a 2 bed for the second week. We used Gold Playa weeks and I put the request in a full 12 months out.

Hope that's useful.
Radley

Radley, it would be interesting to hear your impressions/comparisons of these 2 resorts -- plus your impressions of Spring Break in Phoenix vs. Palm Desert. We just returned from our 1st Spring Break trip to Phoenix, and I was not so impressed with the city, itself. Did you spend 2 weeks there so that you could venture out to other areas as daytrips, such as Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc.? I'd be interested to hear more.

-- Rene

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also check the airports in Ontario which will be a shorter drive or John Wayne in Orange County which are good LAX alternatives