• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Boston & Custom House

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We depart Friday morning for a two day drive up to Portland, ME from where we fly home.

Did you mean two hours? That's about right for the drive from Boston up to the airport in South Portland.

If you're really taking a two day trip up the coast there are a lot of great places to see along the way. If you have time, go to Portsmouth, NH, and visit the Strawberry Banke area near downtown - very pretty area - then drive across to Kittery Maine on route and have lunch or dinner at Warren's (old fashioned lobster restaurant on the bank of the river, really good food). If you're in Portland for a night, go down to the Old Port section of the city and go to DiMillo's. This 'floating restaurant' is located in an old car ferry that used to operate in Rhode Island, I believe. In between, there are many little coastal towns and beaches - York, Ogunquit, Wells, the Kennebunks, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth and on up to Portland Head Light (the oldest lighthouse in Maine - but not the nicest looking one, IMHO that would be Pemaquid Point Light, further up the coast).

Dick Taylor

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
just in case it was not mentioned:
Go to a redsox game of if they are on a road trip at least take the tour of fenway park. You can buy tickets on Yawkey way in one of the shops. I forgot which one.
Go Sox

Fenway Tour tickets are sold at the Gate D ticket booth near where Yawkey Way and Van Ness St. intersect.

Dick Taylor

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
just in case it was not mentioned:
Go to a redsox game of if they are on a road trip at least take the tour of fenway park. You can buy tickets on Yawkey way in one of the shops. I forgot which one.
Go Sox

We are planning to do a Fenway Park tour, not planning on a game though. The tour is included in the Go Boston cards we purchases.

Did you mean two hours? That's about right for the drive from Boston up to the airport in South Portland.

If you're really taking a two day trip up the coast there are a lot of great places to see along the way. If you have time, go to Portsmouth, NH, and visit the Strawberry Banke area near downtown - very pretty area - then drive across to Kittery Maine on route and have lunch or dinner at Warren's (old fashioned lobster restaurant on the bank of the river, really good food). If you're in Portland for a night, go down to the Old Port section of the city and go to DiMillo's. This 'floating restaurant' is located in an old car ferry that used to operate in Rhode Island, I believe. In between, there are many little coastal towns and beaches - York, Ogunquit, Wells, the Kennebunks, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth and on up to Portland Head Light (the oldest lighthouse in Maine - but not the nicest looking one, IMHO that would be Pemaquid Point Light, further up the coast).

Dick Taylor

You are a mind reader. A two day trip is indeed what we have planed. Planning on stopping at many of the places you have mentioned. We have been to both Portland Head Light and Pemaquid Point Light. We are returning to both :D

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We Made It!

Super seasy getting from the airport to Custom House on the T. I wish New York LaGuardia was as easy :mad:. If I never have to pass through that airport again, I will be pleased.

We checked in to our 8th floor harbor view and then went out and had a wonderful dinner at Black Rose tonight. Tomorrow will start to check out all that Boston has to offer.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy! We were in North End last night. Boston was hopping. Looks like you are in for a GREAT week.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Tomorrow will start to check out all that Boston has to offer.

Have you treated yourself to Mike's Pastry yet....its cannoli heaven!!!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

yeah, leave the other posts, take the cannoli. :D

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

yeah, leave the other posts, take the cannoli. :D

Had a peanut butter cannoli this afternoon after most of the day touring Harvard. Though the silly fool I was, I walked over to the Mike's in the North End instead of just grabbing some at their new location in Harvard Square. Though the North End is a great place to go and the walk rather enjoyable.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Had a peanut butter cannoli this afternoon after most of the day touring Harvard. Though the silly fool I was, I walked over to the Mike's in the North End instead of just grabbing some at their new location in Harvard Square. Though the North End is a great place to go and the walk rather enjoyable.

Sounds like you're doing some of our favorite things.... but then, you're in one of the most wonderful places anywhere, where there's so much to do. Boston is fantastic. I did the same thing you did----got my cannoli at Mike's, too, after spending a good while around Harvard Yard and the general area, especially at the Coop. Took the cannoli back to Custom House and enjoyed them so much. North End is so much fun---great food everywhere. Glad you enjoyed Black Rose---we sure did. Can't wait to get back to Boston. Enjoy!!!!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
La familia Giorgio's use to me very good in the north end. It has been a while since I ate there. No Name Restaurant has the best lobster rolls and Ipswich Clams. Also Boston Burger has an interesting selection of burgers. Was in Boston Memorial Day weekend. Fenway Park is a great place to watch a game and get real ball park food, followed by heartburn. Unlike Yankee and Shea were the tums stay home because the wallet gets the heartburn.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not all that crazy about cannolis, but the people in the know say that Maria's Pastry is even better than Mike's. Also in the North End.
http://mariaspastry.com/

And here's a comparison of both. I cannot vouch for the blogger - just found this entry.
http://nomnomcat.com/2013/04/22/cannoli-boston/

I will try Maria's out next. Mike's was a mad house and accepts cash only. While that isn't a problem, I really don't want to bother with carrying a lot of cash, which it seems these places require :eek:. Of course, I saw your post after I went to the ATM for more cash :mad:

Last edited:

tante

Reaction score
La familia Giorgio's use to me very good in the north end. It has been a while since I ate there. No Name Restaurant has the best lobster rolls and Ipswich Clams. Also Boston Burger has an interesting selection of burgers. Was in Boston Memorial Day weekend. Fenway Park is a great place to watch a game and get real ball park food, followed by heartburn. Unlike Yankee and Shea were the tums stay home because the wallet gets the heartburn.

The menu for Giorgio's makes me sad. Cheeseburgers at an Italian joint in the north end?

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will try Maria's out next. Mike's was a mad house and accepts cash only. While that isn't a problem, I really don't want to bother with carrying a lot of cash, which it seems these places require :eek:. Of course, I saw your post after I went to the ATM for more cash :mad:

Give modern a try, also on Hanover ST. You must go to Bricco panneteria, behind Bricco restaurant. Pick up a bread, then go across to groceries or around the corner to salumeria Italiana for cheese, prosciutto, etc. pick up a bottle of vino and mKe yourself a picnic. I am a purest, don't much care for peanut butter cannoli, prefer, ricotta, florentine and chocolate chip. And for pure indulgence, you must try. Lobster tail(pastry) At Mike's. I would also recommend lobster roll down at Hook's!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
The menu for Giorgio's makes me sad. Cheeseburgers at an Italian joint in the north end?

Lol, not sure I ever noticed. That aside,it has been a few years since we ate there. Is the non burger food still good?

tante

Reaction score
Lol, not sure I ever noticed. That aside,it has been a few years since we ate there. Is the non burger food still good?

I don't think i have ever been, but dw and I go to Boston a lot and like to try new places in the north end. There is a chance we have been there and just don't remember.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
My husband says that he's heard that Modern is also better than Mike's.

Its funny....when we were standing in line at Mike's one evening....there was a local couple behind us....and they were discussing their desired purchases....then they split up. She was telling us that they love Mike's for certain things, and they love Modern for certain things, so when they come for their sweet fix, he goes to stand in line at one and she stands in line at the other so they get their favorites from each.

Bottom line is that you likely won't be disappointed at either of them.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Super seasy getting from the airport to Custom House on the T. I wish New York LaGuardia was as easy :mad:. If I never have to pass through that airport again, I will be pleased.

We checked in to our 8th floor harbor view and then went out and had a wonderful dinner at Black Rose tonight. Tomorrow will start to check out all that Boston has to offer.
Hope you have a wonderful time! One of my favorite places on earth. Just be glad you don't have to drive there. Enjoy the rest of your stay and don't forget to get a labsta roll at James Hook.;)

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
With the Sox out of town, you should try to do a tour of Fenwy Park

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
We were at CH May 15-22 and had a wonderful stay. Had the harbor view on the seventeenth floor. We used the seven-day metro T pass & for some reason they were only $16 each instead of the listed price of $19. Though we walked a lot we got our value out of it.

On Monday we went to the North End for lunch. Al Dente was an excellent choice. Went to Mike's Pastry after lunch and walked right up to the counter, absolutely no line at that time!

One dining recommendation not already mentioned: Italian Express Pizzaria. It's one metro stop to Maverick in the East End and then a couple minute walk from the stop. Outstanding food and very large portions. Our only regret is that we were there for lunch the day before checkout so we had no time to finish the leftovers. Had we known my wife and I would have split one meal and still would have had leftovers.

That evening - Thursday - there was the one-night-a-month open house at the Samuel Adams Brewery. There was no real tour but we got four tastings (7oz each) of their regular and seasonal (summer) brews. At the monthly open house they also feature some food. That Thursday we were there it was lobster items from a featured cookbook with the author serving the food.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at CH May 15-22 and had a wonderful stay. Had the harbor view on the seventeenth floor. We used the seven-day metro T pass & for some reason they were only $16 each instead of the listed price of $19. Though we walked a lot we got our value out of it.

On Monday we went to the North End for lunch. Al Dente was an excellent choice. Went to Mike's Pastry after lunch and walked right up to the counter, absolutely no line at that time!

One dining recommendation not already mentioned: Italian Express Pizzaria. It's one metro stop to Maverick in the East End and then a couple minute walk from the stop. Outstanding food and very large portions. Our only regret is that we were there for lunch the day before checkout so we had no time to finish the leftovers. Had we known my wife and I would have split one meal and still would have had leftovers.

That evening - Thursday - there was the one-night-a-month open house at the Samuel Adams Brewery. There was no real tour but we got four tastings (7oz each) of their regular and seasonal (summer) brews. At the monthly open house they also feature some food. That Thursday we were there it was lobster items from a featured cookbook with the author serving the food.

Glad that you had a nice time here in Boston. You were smart to venture out & about.

Confusion will now ensue.

Just a teensie note to clarify : There's East Boston, but no East end. It's very confusing unless you grow up here.

There's South Boston (Southie) where I hail from and a South End, but they're two different and distinct parts of Boston. There is the North End, but no North Boston. There's a West End, but no West Boston. There's East Boston (Eastie - where Logan Airport is) but no East end.

And so it goes...... you get used to these things with time.

The "best pizza in Boston" (subjective) was always attributed to Santarpio's in East Boston (Eastie): http://santarpiospizza.com/ I always thought it was good. My favorite was back in the old Haymarket stalls at Al Capone's. The old/original Regina's was good, too. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Note: To further complicate things................. there's the geographical terms for towns/communities "north of boston" and the "north shore", "metrowest" (where I live now) and the "south shore" and the "south coast". Oh, there's "central Mass" and "western Mass", too.
"The Cape" is anywhere "over the bridge" as I see it.

Each state has its own peculiarities when it comes to this.

-

-

Last edited:

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
One other Boston peculiarity is that we do not have a "metro" but we do have a "T", where Charlie got stucK.

Also, there is the Fens, where Fenway Park is.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Glad that you had a nice time here in Boston. You were smart to venture out & about.

Confusion will now ensue.

Just a teensie note to clarify : There's East Boston, but no East end. It's very confusing unless you grow up here.

There's South Boston (Southie) where I hail from and a South End, but they're two different and distinct parts of Boston. There is the North End, but no North Boston. There's a West End, but no West Boston. There's East Boston (Eastie - where Logan Airport is) but no East end.

And so it goes...... you get used to these things with time.

The "best pizza in Boston" (subjective) was always attributed to Santarpio's in East Boston (Eastie): http://santarpiospizza.com/ I always thought it was good. My favorite was back in the old Haymarket stalls at Al Capone's. The old/original Regina's was good, too. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Note: To further complicate things................. there's the geographical terms for towns/communities "north of boston" and the "north shore", "metrowest" (where I live now) and the "south shore" and the "south coast". Oh, there's "central Mass" and "western Mass", too.
"The Cape" is anywhere "over the bridge" as I see it.

Each state has its own peculiarities when it comes to this.

-
-

so interesting......waiting to read your book, Beaglemom! It'll be #1 on the bestseller list for sure. wish I knew 1/10 of what you know.....big facts and little itty bitty facts which are priceless.

growing up there, and having traveled as extensively as you have all over the globe, and being the most kind person I've ever met, your life has been rich. Glad you share that with so many others......and my wife and I having spent a whole day with you discovering that, I always RUN to read your posts, so to speak...... you're something special........:)