• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best procedure for rental of timeshare

jthiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Marriott Grande Vista Westin St. John
Is the following still the preferred method for an owner to use for rental?

Landlord:
•Get 100% of the money up front – there are so many flakey renters out there who change their mind that taking a deposit and finding out 30 days before check-in that the renter is not going forward means a loss of a lot of money.
•Get a rental agreement and make sure that the person supplies a copy of their driver’s license and prove that they are at least 21 years old. Many resorts require the person checking in to be at least that old.
•Get a 10% security deposit returnable 14 days after check-out. You would be surprised how folks want that deposit back and don’t trash the place.
•Call the resort 14 days before check-in and double check the reservation and ask for special handling like no smoking rooms or rooms that face a certain direction, etc.
•Call the resort 1 day after check-out and confirm that there were no problems. The renter has to put up a credit card when checking in but if they max out and there is damage the resort will come calling on you. Find out before you return the security deposit.
•Always ask for PayPal payment – the renter thinks he has some protection when paying with PayPal and Credit Card – the truth is he does not; but he feels much better and you get paid instantly. The 4% process fee is small compared with a renter who sends a Cashier’s Check AND the carbon copy and then it gets lost in the mail – what a disaster – you don’t get paid and he thinks you stiffed him and he has NO proof of payment and must go thru a 90 day refund period with the bank and put up a bond. SEE NOTE ABOVE!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Asking for a security deposit is not standard procedure, and that will stop a lot of people from even considering the rental. Renter damages in private timeshare rentals are very rare.

Paypal does give the renter protection - especially if they use a credit card on Paypal. If the rental goes sideways, they can dispute their payment. But I still think it's the best method because it is the fastest method, and it eliminates most scammers and problem children - it's what I use. The fee is 2.9% - not 4%, for most transactions.

I don't ask for 100% upfront - that makes people suspicious, because that's what the scammers ask for.

I don't ask for a Driver's License - many people will be uncomfortable with that. In the rental terms I do state that the primary guest must be at least 25 - to avoid the Spring Break Crowd.

This is the process I use:

1) Collect a $100 nonrefundable deposit via Paypal (I email them a formal Paypal invoice, with all the details, and that is the rental document.)

2) Send renter an official resort confirmation in their name.

3) Give them 48 hours to confirm with the resort.

4) Then the final payment is due - send 2nd invoice for payment.

5) No changes - no cancellations - no refunds.

6) Travel Insurance highly recommended.

Last edited:

jthiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Marriott Grande Vista Westin St. John
Asking for a security deposit is not standard procedure, and that will stop a lot of people from even considering the rental. Renter damages in private timeshare rentals are very rare.

Paypal does give the renter protection - especially if they use a credit card on Paypal. If the rental goes sideways, they can dispute their payment. But I still think it's the best method because it is the fastest method, and it eliminates most scammers and problem children - it's what I use. The fee is 2.9% - not 4%, for most transactions.

I don't ask for 100% upfront - that makes people suspicious, because that's what the scammers ask for.

I don't ask for a Driver's License - many people will be uncomfortable with that. In the rental terms I do state that the primary guest must be at least 25 - to avoid the Spring Break Crowd.

This is the process I use:

1) Collect a $100 nonrefundable deposit via Paypal (I email them a formal Paypal invoice, with all the details, and that is the rental document.)

2) Send renter an official resort confirmation in their name.

3) Give them 48 hours to confirm with the resort.

4) Then the final payment is due - send 2nd invoice for payment.

5) No changes - no cancellations - no refunds.

6) Travel Insurance highly recommended.
Thanks for the quick response.

Just so I understand your process:
- the renter is supposed to confirm with the resort after you have made the reservation?
- Travel insurance is for the renter or?

Is there a sample Paypal invoice available for a newbie? I see the sample rental agreements on the site so something similar I suppose.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for the quick response.

Just so I understand your process:
- the renter is supposed to confirm with the resort after you have made the reservation?
- Travel insurance is for the renter or?

Is there a sample Paypal invoice available for a newbie? I see the sample rental agreements on the site so something similar I suppose.

The renter doesn't have to confirm with the resort, but most of them want to - for their own peace of mind. That way they can independently verify with the resort, that they are renting a genuine reservation. So I provide the instructions for how to call, and give them 48 hours to confirm, before the final payment is due.

Yes, Travel Insurance is in case the renter has a family emergency and can't go - because I have a no cancellation policy.

*Click on my blue user name and send me a PM, if you'd like to see the rental terms that I use.

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have successfully used Denise's method. If the renters are legit, the won't balk. I rented our 2015 and 2016 Canyon Villa March weeks which are tough to come by . . renters were anxious to jump on prime weeks. Thanks Denise
:eek:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the following still the preferred method for an owner to use for rental?

Landlord:
•Get 100% of the money up front – there are so many flakey renters out there who change their mind that taking a deposit and finding out 30 days before check-in that the renter is not going forward means a loss of a lot of money.
•Get a rental agreement and make sure that the person supplies a copy of their driver’s license and prove that they are at least 21 years old. Many resorts require the person checking in to be at least that old.
•Get a 10% security deposit returnable 14 days after check-out. You would be surprised how folks want that deposit back and don’t trash the place.
•Call the resort 14 days before check-in and double check the reservation and ask for special handling like no smoking rooms or rooms that face a certain direction, etc.
•Call the resort 1 day after check-out and confirm that there were no problems. The renter has to put up a credit card when checking in but if they max out and there is damage the resort will come calling on you. Find out before you return the security deposit.
•Always ask for PayPal payment – the renter thinks he has some protection when paying with PayPal and Credit Card – the truth is he does not; but he feels much better and you get paid instantly. The 4% process fee is small compared with a renter who sends a Cashier’s Check AND the carbon copy and then it gets lost in the mail – what a disaster – you don’t get paid and he thinks you stiffed him and he has NO proof of payment and must go thru a 90 day refund period with the bank and put up a bond. SEE NOTE ABOVE!!!

I dont always ask for 100% up front

I dont use a rental agreement

I dont do deposits

I do call the resort ahead of check in for special requests, but I discourage special requests

I prefer pay pal, but Ill take cash or personal checks too

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that what you do varies in relation to your rental activity. If you rent a lot of Weeks at major resorts or you are renting for big bucks, the procedures being discussed are no doubt appropriate.

The Weeks I have rented were all at smaller HOA Controlled Independents and I rented them using TUG ads. In every case the Renter sent me 100% of the money via PayPal; I notified the Resort that the Renter would be using my Week; I then sent a copy of my correspondence with the Resort putting the Week in the Renter's name to the Renter. So far this has worked out fine.

George